What sort of music did your parents listen to when you were a kid?

Benny Bunter

forgot to mention my Dad saw Black Sabbath back when they were still called Earth in Carlisle of all places, apparently they used to come up from brum and play there all the time. My mates dad even saw Jimi Hendrix there.

Local Authority

bitch city
Has anyones parents listened to early Industrial or Techno?

My dad listened to Goa Trance but I was never in contact with him when I was younger, probably for the better, not sure what my mum listened too, probably whale songs and sounds of the rainforest.

NOSY

Steps
Take That
Robbie Williams
Kate Bush
Phil Collins
Cher
Shania Twain
Radio 1
Now! Compilations
Smash Hits
The Box

Bless my mum.....

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Interesting thread - I've read somewhere that people's political leanings tend to be inherited from their parents (though I'm sure there are plenty of examples of children rebelling), I wonder how true that is of music?

I mean, my parents don't like rap music (though my dad likes eminem 'lose yourself' and my mum likes some young thug songs lol) or dance music etc. but I'm pretty sure I'm obsessed with music because my dad was, and I listen to more and more of what he used to listen to in the car (fleetwood mac, the beatles, rolling stones, joni mitchel, bob dylan, beach boys, etc.) and also classical music which I inherited.

''INTERESTINGLY'' enough my parents never listened to any jazz as far as I recall (other than that fred astairey kind of shit) so perhaps that accounts for my disinclination to connect with it - I note that some of the big jazz fans on here were clearly inculcated by their beret wearing cigarello smoking daddios (and mummios)

craner

Beast of Burden
My mother liked Regulate: The G-Funk Era before I did, although I don't think she really paid much attention to the lyrics.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
my mum listened to young thug because i was asked to interview him for a magazine (couldn't do it)

she is aware that part of the reason she likes him is that she can't understand a word he's saying

i'm sure both my mum and dad would absolutely detest 'the chronic', e.g., on moral grounds

sadmanbarty

I was listening to this yesterday and my mum asked me to send it to her, she said it was "mad" and she liked the drums:

my dad likes the simpz beatz productions i've played him, because it sounds "medieval":

Leo

blows my mind that people here have parents who have even the vaguest interest in contemporary music. the closest i ever came was as a late teen when i noticed my mom tapping her foot along to the first ramones album while she was chopping veggies for dinner (i had it playing in my room, so it was at a low volume in the kitchen, doubt she would have approved of "blitzkrieg bop" at full volume).

i probably mentioned up thread, my parents rarely listened to music and when they did, it was easy listening (ray coniff singers, lawrence welk) and maybe, when in a saucy mood, herb alpert & the tijuana brass (but NOT the "whipped cream" album, alas).

craner

Beast of Burden
Well, I should add that my mother's taste for Warren G was a bizarre anomaly. She was no rap fan!

Numbers

Classical (mostly baroque) and horrible new age in the nineties. A lot of Gurdjieff & De Hartmann later. Dunno if that helps to explain my current interest in ambient and drones. It certainly does makes me thread carefully to avoid the too hippy-ish stuff --soothing whale sounds and what have you not.

firefinga

My parents didn't care much for music. My dad had a few Top ten/charts LPs and had a little collection of folk music, though. My mom didn't own a single record I think, yet she was actually a singer in the local church choir. Funny thing was, my dad stopped buying prerecorded music when the industry switched to CDs. He thought they were a rip off medium :crylarf:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Noticeable how a significant minority of posters here had parents who were similarly untouched by music. Like cats.

cwmbran-city

from my dearly departed Dad:

Jazz on the turntable - Miles Davis, Gerry Mulligan (one of my 1st concerts as a kid, cheers Pops!), Charlie Parker, Thelonius Monk, Ben Webster, Count Basie, Chet Baker, Modern Jazz Quartet, the list is too long, with an equal measure of Blues, American & British, Son House, Little Walter, Howlin' Wolf, Koko Taylor, all the various John Mayall lineups.....anything with Peter Green got caned. Add a stack of Neil Yong lp's, varieties of Afrobeat that i should rip for posterity asap. As he got older his jazz club digging got more focus, sunday roasts were always prepped with Miles Davis doe. Always.

from my northern Irish catholic Mum:

everything by The Beatles with Tomorrow Never Knows & Sgt Pepper's grooves embedded in my soul til i die, various R Stones lp's, post-PG Fleetwood Mac. random Bowie, T-Rex & Rod Stewart records (the latter is the only one that was iffy, excluding Maggie May), Thin Lizzy, acres of Motown, plus whats classed as the kayleigh tunes via a huge serving of Luke mf Kelly & The Dubliners namely "Black Velvet Band" & "Raglan Road" (does music get any better?), Van Morrison, Planxty & Christy Moore, Davey Arthur and the Fureys, Bert Jansch... if family were visiting it was Irish traditional music all weekend with lashings of farm shed Poitin, add the Incredible String Band's "The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter" for quality & 1 Johnny Mathis lp of epic wrongness as a contrast. Last but not least every lp & 45/78rpm that Elvis possibly ever released.

Good times by people who were teens in the 1950's, even if all the Elvis gear has permanently scarred me.

Last edited:

cwmbran-city

Great combo there. Excellent parental taste on display.

was very lucky, think Sgt Pepper is such a mindblowing lp for sprogs, the sheer cornucopia of sounds, shows psychedelia can work on many levels, the farmyard shenanigans on Good Morning, the circus/mania of For the Benefit of Mr Kite (a personal fave), but hearing Tomorrow Never Knows b4-hand def helped. It defined different even in my tiny mind to the typical bs on the radio, can distinctly remember not knowing what was being listened to, but that i liked it

Add the rebel songs of Luke Kelly cemented by going home to Armagh for funerals during The Troubles only adds to the resonance now. "Black Velvet Band" is spine-tingling to use the cliche, it'll never age to these ears.

That Johnny fkn Mathis lp doe......she'll still play it.

Mad what a cheap turntable, amp, speakers & a decent pile of records can teach a kid on a rainy sunday afternoon.