Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What sort of music did your parents listen to when you were a kid?

My Dad had never heard of The Velvet Underground when I mentioned them a few months ago which seemed so weird to me as he's a similar age to them.

My mum's friend went to see the Beatles during the whole Beatlemania phase and was videoed in a screaming-girls-running-down-a-corridor-to-be-near-the-beatles kind of shot for the news or a TV programme which was seen by her teachers who demoted her from being head girl cos it was viewed as so beyond the pale!

Quote Originally Posted by viktorvaughn View Post
    My Dad had never heard of The Velvet Underground when I mentioned them a few months ago which seemed so weird to me as he's a similar age to them.
    Which would make him the ideal age for NOT hearing of Velvet Underground. Pretty much no one beyond a very small, clued-up world heard of them before Reed started scoring solo hits.

Fairly sure my dad was into them when they were actually around, although I couldn't swear to it - will have to ask. I know they were very much a cult band at the time.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post

My Dad loves classical music, loathes everything else. .
    Ditto save for the tense.

His first record, probably in the mid-early 60's: a box set of Wagner's Rings Cycle

Mad about choral music and opera.

Quote Originally Posted by Lichen View Post

His first record, probably in the mid-early 60's: a box set of Wagner's Rings Cycle

Think if mine absolutely had to listen to something he'd go for some Welsh choral music, preferably turned down quite low. But really he prefers silence, punctuated by the gentle clacking of snooker balls.

I know some folky types in their 20s and 30s who are into the same folk/psych/prog stuff that their hippy parents were into in the 60s and 70s.

Being into pretty much exactly the sort of music that your parents were into when they were your age is a bit weird imo

Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack View Post
    the gentle clacking of snooker balls.
    That is a lovely noise.

Radio 3

Stuff on tape: Flanders and Swann, Tom Lehrer, Burl Ives, Scots bagpipe music, gamelan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lichen View Post

My Dad's indifferent about opera, perhaps a little bizarrely as it would add extra sheen to his snobbery....

For me there was never any question of rebelling against my parents (and here I guess I mean my dad's, as he was much more into it) music, as it was all pretty good, back in the mid 00s when I was mostly into new indie and old rock, my dad enjoyed a lot of what I would play him, but just laughed that it was "all a rip off of the stuff I was listening to as a kid".

But then I've got worse behaved as I've grown up, and when I was younger it was always my dad trying to encourage me to have a drink or a smoke!

Quote Originally Posted by crofton View Post
    Stuff on tape: Flanders and Swann, Tom Lehrer, Burl Ives, Scots bagpipe music, gamelan.
    read that quickly, thought you said your parents listened to the swans. now that would be the thread winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    read that quickly, thought you said your parents listened to the swans. now that would be the thread winner.
    That would be my ex.

forgot to mention my Dad saw Black Sabbath back when they were still called Earth in Carlisle of all places, apparently they used to come up from brum and play there all the time. My mates dad even saw Jimi Hendrix there.

Has anyones parents listened to early Industrial or Techno?

My dad listened to Goa Trance but I was never in contact with him when I was younger, probably for the better, not sure what my mum listened too, probably whale songs and sounds of the rainforest.

Steps
    Take That
    Robbie Williams
    Kate Bush
    Phil Collins
    Cher
    Shania Twain
    Radio 1
    Now! Compilations
    Smash Hits
    The Box

Bless my mum.....