Trayvon Martin

droid

Black Panthers, Black liberation army...

'Urban Guerilla' by Oppenheimer is an interesting read - basically details plans to prepare for widespread urban warfare against black and left groups in the wake of the Chicago riots and the rise of militancy in the mid-late 60's. This goes waaaayyy back.

droid

Scott Alexander had an interesting post a while back where he actually looks at some data surrounding racial disparities and police shootings:
From: http://slatestarcodex.com/2014/11/25/race-and-justice-much-more-than-you-wanted-to-know/

2015policekillingsunarmed.jpeg

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Black Panthers, Black liberation army...

'Urban Guerilla' by Oppenheimer is an interesting read - basically details plans to prepare for widespread urban warfare against black and left groups in the wake of the Chicago riots and the rise of militancy in the mid-late 60's. This goes waaaayyy back.

Sure, but I'm talking about recent history, stuff I can remember actually hearing about in the news.

luka

is anyone else sort of shitting themselves that they killed that sniper with a robot?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
That is mad, this is the next stage of weaponry isn't it? And the government can afford better robots. Good luck overthrowing them with guns, eh?

Rise of the machines is real.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Did anyone see the video of this guy throwing dummy shots into a wall to wrong foot the cop while he strafed around him? Goes to show how military training 'pays off'. Lucky, in a horrible way, that he only wanted to get cops cos he could have killed dozens of people.

Edit: don't want to make out I'm giving this guy props or anything.

I think the robot was one of those bomb disposal robots, only they sellotaped a bomb on it instead. A very expensive but pretty crude thing to do, no doubt a desperate spur of the moment idea. You could probably do the same thing yourself with a remote control car and a video camera- assuming you have access to explosives. Which begs the question, where did that come from and who approved it's use. The last time the US police had access to bombs they killed 10 people and destroyed 60 houses

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOVE

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
So does that mean you can be up to 22,800 times more likely to be shot if you're black?

Also, is that by police, or just in general?

trza

I once had to critique reference maps for a part time job and geography class. That map is a massive failure of a map. 99% of the land space on the map has no data. The differences between different cities, where most of the data is, could be shown in a chart. It would be much clearer. The one county with the highest death rate in the map is notorious as the entry point of drugs from Latin America and the Caribbean.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I once had to critique reference maps for a part time job and geography class. That map is a massive failure of a map. 99% of the land space on the map has no data. The differences between different cities, where most of the data is, could be shown in a chart. It would be much clearer. The one county with the highest death rate in the map is notorious as the entry point of drugs from Latin America and the Caribbean.

Once we get past the background info about what you did for your GCSEs, what are you talking about? It's useful as a rough guide to the relative likelihood of being shot while unarmed in major urban areas of the US.

Last edited:

vimothy

yurp
That's an interesting paper, but it doesn't show relative risk ratios given that one is in an encounter with the police ("the data cannot speak to the relative risk of being shot by a police officer conditional on being encountered by police").