What's your favourite album ever?

craner

Beast of Burden
Time to take up this steep challenge.

Skid Row Slave to the Grind, 'Monkey Business' a BIG event in the Hair Rock era, only matched for audacity by Poison's 'Unskinny Bop':

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Eu8dBv-kiLM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Transvision Vamp Little Magnet vs. the Bubble of Babble, an album disowned by their record company. 'If Looks Could Kill' the second single, at this point they were pulling their Sex Kitsch inside out, and the Alan Moulder b-sides to this single are the best evidence ('My Friend the Tom Cat', 'Puppy Dog Tails'). Have this on clear 7" vinyl, tracked down in a record shop on the back streets of Torremolinos. Ultra-rare pressing.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iKb2PGLYXfc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Belinda Carlisle Runaway Horses, her masterpiece, every song a melodic, edge-of-the-night epic and match for 'Heaven Is a Place on Earth', but I select 'Valentine'. Belinda on top of her game here.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BnZ3r5xDVuM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Prince Batman, a maligned set full of odd treats, none of which is on YouTube for obvious Prince-related reasons. 'Vicki Waiting', 'Scandalous', 'Arms of Orion', 'Lemon Crush', 'Batdance', etc...absolutely as good as The Nutty Professor soundtrack and that had Case and Foxy Brown doing a duet on it. Case closed.

Dogs D’amour Dynamite Jet Saloon, 'I Don' Want You To Go'. The best Stones impersonators: even better than the Quireboys and greater than Screamadelica:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JyXq7Qmua7A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Heavy D & the Boyz Peaceful Journey, 'Now That We've Found Love'. Favorite of Danni Minogue's.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NNEgUPKxk7A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mark Morrison Return of the Mac: a downbeat Mark and Mica Paris cut from the first classic UK R&B album, released in 1996 and full of surprising tricks nicked from hip hop, house, and new wave:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_lpB-DGjdjw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Aerosmith Draw the Line, the lead single, a ratty, punk-trash abomination from their worst-received and best album:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nmF7n6KUfto" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Human League, Crash. Nutrasweet loveliness from when Oakey rang up Jam and Lewis, his second smartest aesthetic and career move, after ditching the two keyboard losers and hiring a couple of teenage girls in a Sheffield nightclub:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/s1ysoohV_zA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ice T OG Original Gangster, quintessential New Jack rapness:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OBUxUa0TrsY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

EMF Stigma. What the Ecstasy Mother Fuckers did after becoming famous and listening to Ministry and going to lots of raves, surprisingly hard and affecting. 'Arizona' one of the best on this, emotive and sweeping, vaguely reminiscent of 'Long Hot Summer Days' from Schubert Dip, expect disillusioned:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/W5tThnYktdg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chris Rea On the Beach, 'Little Blonde Plaits'. A late yacht rock touchstone, hazy ambient schmaltz, Eno influence here.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PgAxXp4ZG4M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bobby Brown Don’t be Cruel, New Jack Swing peak and whole new style (at the time), 'My Prerogative':

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TgAlZFX1Rvw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

C & C Music Factory Gonna Make You Sweat, audacious post-Bomb Squad bubblegum, full of chaotic primary colours:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XF2ayWcJfxo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Divinyls The Divinyls, which apart from anything else includes 'I Touch Myself', the best song to come out of Australia and that includes 'Down Under' (which is high praise). Chrissy Amphlett's greatest moment.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wv-34w8kGPM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Charlie Lines, rubbish album with one the best rock sleeves of all time:

Charlie+-+Lines+-+LP+RECORD-400001.jpg

Morrissey Your Arsenal, Mick Ronson-produced, media-disowned, proto-Britpop post-Glam masterpiece, which includes the only great song ever written about football hooligans (incredible production, too):

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Jybpepm0DQs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Soft Cell The Art of Falling Apart, double-album follow-up to Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret. Kitchen sink drama epic splurge that was totally overlooked, probably because it sounds horrible. 'Numbers', from side 1. Caned this in my bedroom in 1996.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Wz_x1Arnuw0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Blur Modern Life is Rubbish, 'Young and Lovely', lost elegy not quite included (but should have been) on an album that invented and undermined Britpop upon release, has no defence apart from its holes and malformations and wistfulness. Damon Alban taking the biggest creative risk of his career, until producing a Peking opera. Soon descended into awful squalor and bombast.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sFBOZTz51V8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I dedicate this list to Matt Ingram.

Woebot

Skid Row Slave to the Grind, 'Monkey Business' a BIG event in the Hair Rock era, only matched for audacity by Poison's 'Unskinny Bop':

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Eu8dBv-kiLM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Transvision Vamp Little Magnet vs. the Bubble of Babble, an album disowned by their record company. 'If Looks Could Kill' the second single, at this point they were pulling their Sex Kitsch inside out, and the Alan Moulder b-sides to this single are the best evidence ('My Friend the Tom Cat', 'Puppy Dog Tails'). Have this on clear 7" vinyl, tracked down in a record shop on the back streets of Torremolinos. Ultra-rare pressing.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iKb2PGLYXfc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Belinda Carlisle Runaway Horses, her masterpiece, every song a melodic, edge-of-the-night epic and match for 'Heaven Is a Place on Earth', but I select 'Valentine'. Belinda on top of her game here.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BnZ3r5xDVuM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Prince Batman, a maligned set full of odd treats, none of which is on YouTube for obvious Prince-related reasons. 'Vicki Waiting', 'Scandalous', 'Arms of Orion', 'Lemon Crush', 'Batdance', etc...absolutely as good as The Nutty Professor soundtrack and that had Case and Foxy Brown doing a duet on it. Case closed.

Dogs D’amour Dynamite Jet Saloon, 'I Don' Want You To Go'. The best Stones impersonators: even better than the Quireboys and greater than Screamadelica:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JyXq7Qmua7A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Heavy D & the Boyz Peaceful Journey, 'Now That We've Found Love'. Favorite of Danni Minogue's.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NNEgUPKxk7A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mark Morrison Return of the Mac: a downbeat Mark and Mica Paris cut from the first classic UK R&B album, released in 1996 and full of surprising tricks nicked from hip hop, house, and new wave:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_lpB-DGjdjw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Aerosmith Draw the Line, the lead single, a ratty, punk-trash abomination from their worst-received and best album:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nmF7n6KUfto" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Human League, Crash. Nutrasweet loveliness from when Oakey rang up Jam and Lewis, his second smartest aesthetic and career move, after ditching the two keyboard losers and hiring a couple of teenage girls in a Sheffield nightclub:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/s1ysoohV_zA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OBUxUa0TrsY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

EMF Stigma. What the Ecstasy Mother Fuckers did after becoming famous and listening to Ministry and going to lots of raves, surprisingly hard and affecting. 'Arizona' one of the best on this, emotive and sweeping, vaguely reminiscent of 'Long Hot Summer Days' from Schubert Dip, expect disillusioned:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/W5tThnYktdg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chris Rea On the Beach, 'Little Blonde Plaits'. A late yacht rock touchstone, hazy ambient schmaltz, Eno influence here.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PgAxXp4ZG4M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bobby Brown Don’t be Cruel, New Jack Swing peak and whole new style (at the time), 'My Prerogative':

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TgAlZFX1Rvw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

C & C Music Factory Gonna Make You Sweat, audacious post-Bomb Squad bubblegum, full of chaotic primary colours:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XF2ayWcJfxo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Divinyls The Divinyls, which apart from anything else includes 'I Touch Myself', the best song to come out of Australia and that includes 'Down Under' (which is high praise). Chrissy Amphlett's greatest moment.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wv-34w8kGPM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Morrissey Your Arsenal, Mick Ronson-produced, media-disowned, proto-Britpop post-Glam masterpiece, which includes the only great song ever written about football hooligans (incredible production, too):

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Jybpepm0DQs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Soft Cell The Art of Falling Apart, double-album follow-up to Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret. Kitchen sink drama epic splurge that was totally overlooked, probably because it sounds horrible. 'Numbers', from side 1. Caned this in my bedroom in 1996.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Wz_x1Arnuw0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Blur Modern Life is Rubbish, 'Young and Lovely', lost elegy not quite included (but should have been) on an album that invented and undermined Britpop upon release, has no defence apart from its holes and malformations and wistfulness. Damon Alban taking the biggest creative risk of his career, until producing a Peking opera. Soon descended into awful squalor and bombast.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sFBOZTz51V8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

that's a classy selection oliver. nuff respect. i know you've always rated the belinda carlisle. :cool:

rubberdingyrapids

my honest picks arent as cool/obscure as everyone else on dissensus. probably al green's greatest hits. or innervisions. or off the wall. or one of the beatles red/blue comps.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
what are you, the fucking favorites police? that's not a challenge, it's a demand to take a quality you can't actually measure and make an arbitrary decision

but if will make you happy, here: HENRY FLYNT - YOU ARE MY EVERLOVIN'

picked in the hopes that it will inspire others to listen and be wowed by its majestic awesomeness.

Listening to this now on Spotify and its brilliant, so thanks due to padraig.

Love craner's list too.

droid

The first mighty diamonds LP is a strong contender for best reggae.

Could also feature in the erotic LP covers category:

The-Mighty-Diamonds-Right-Time-542406.jpg

luka

Better than Woebots legendary 100 best records this.