A Field in England

IdleRich

IdleRich
Who watched this then? Was out of the country when it was one but I found it online and watched it today. Dirty psychedelic nonsense reminiscent of Witchfinder General or Monty Python and The Holy Grail meets Blueberry.
I enjoyed but would like to hear others' thoughts.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Agree with all of that. Whitehead was a great mixture of submission and unconscious rudeness. I think that with a bigger budget and a few more characters and events maybe it could have been a bit... more everything and that might have been better. Or perhaps I'm just been greedy.
What do you mean by the tent scene? The screaming?

IdleRich

IdleRich
And did you take it that they died in the battle and that the field is some kind of limbo afterlife? Or is that idea too old now?
Apparently the rope thing is to do with myths about how you can rescue a man from a fairy ring.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I finally got round to watching this the other night. Overall I enjoyed it although I felt a little as if it couldn't decide if it wanted to have a 'proper' narrative or just be a bit of art-school weirdness composed of a series of not-necessarily-related scenes and images. Like the bits where they all just stand still and point in various directions...I dunno, maybe I'm just not versed enough in that sort of film to make sense of it.

I thought the script was great, however, and the cinematography was superb. Certainly one of the better representations of the psychedelic experience I've seen, I think. I also really enjoyed Tyres-from-Spaced as the menacing Irishman (complete with a surely anachronistic Ulster accent?).

The idea that they're all dead and enduring a sort of purgatory would certainly make sense, in fact I was reminded slightly of The Third Policeman as I was watching it - especially at the end as they rejoin the still-raging battle, presumably to start the whole bizarre experience again from the beginning.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
mowing-devil-title-page.gif