Aging (Gen X Midlife Crisis and Other Topics of little Consequence)

zhao

there are no accidents
rather chilling how accurate this article about Gen Xers approaching or at 40 seems to me.

So uncanny, as if it was written about me. i never grew up and now find myself getting old. But it doesn't feel like it at all.

Xers might have neglected to track the crossing over... always living in a state of triage, always in a survivalist mode... not thinking long-term.”

ever since jumping off of the hollywood corporate ladder, i find myself living from freelance pay check to pay check... no plan what so ever. my life is STILL all about drugs, sex, and rocking parties.

"The Silent Generation experienced claustrophobia. Xers experience agoraphobia — everything is possible."

at 38 i'm still trying to decide where to go next: "Singapore? Mozambique? Shenzhen?" It's rather ridiculous.

does this article ring true at all for any of you old geezers?

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
Sounds awful. :p

well just like the article says, i've done and experienced a lot, but there is zero security in my life. While others are buying homes i didn't even have health insurance until this year! I've toured different continents doing what i love, but still not sure where rent money will come from next month! :eek:

craner

Beast of Burden
'Midlife crisis' is for wimps. I've been having an "age" crisis since I was 18. I am also mildly (and, I suppose, harmlessly) obsessed with time, timing, chrononlogy, dates. Since the age of 30 I have been rocked by the most severe age crisis since going from 18-20. During the bulk of my twenties, I worked hard at acquiring the accoutrements of adulthood, but without taking on any of the responsibilities or burdens. The result looked, I suspect, slightly odd and comic and flakey, like a cheap stucco exterior. It cracked and peeled with the onset of age which instills a deep sense of fear and even terror, especially as time seems to warp and weeks and seasons accelerate with familiarity and repetition. But when I say "with the onset of age" I mean, by my definition, 27 on.

I have said this before (I think) and it's true: not getting your shit sorted in time does make life more exciting in many ways, so long as you are not plagued by ill-health or poverty. Nothing has been settled, which is as exhilirating as it is alarming the older you get. For about 5 years I have been trying to get to the point where 1) I can buy some space to live in, a base that I own, Anglo-Saxon sucker that I am, and 2) be in a position to travel more, which I have managed to avoid for most of my life for a number of unsatisfactory reasons. I also have some family commitments that I take seriously, Celtic sucker that I am. These three things have dominated my choices in the last 5 years which have been, at times admittedly, a living hell. But the destination is...radiant. I am alone and have achieved and learnt nothing. All the good stuff is still to come!

Luka turned 34 today and he is super-excited by all the possibilities that lie ahead of him. Happy Birthday, Luke!

feel you completely, eazy z.

i did all the super rad anarchosquat rave the planet bullshit i dreamed of as a teen
by the time i was 25, and have been living in the shadows of my stellar youth ever since.

at 38, i still get fucked up lots, still spin records, still fuck women in shiny clothes
whenever the opportunity presents itself.

i had a corporate job and a house in the suburbs for a minute there.

spent actual months in mental institutions because of it.

post-breakdown, i make ok money, though elk terrine and hardwood floors fail to satisfy my acardipane heart.

the fact that i was the first nerd to play gabber in savannakhet means nothing in the square world, nor does my having slept on a sofa with russell haswell (we did not have sex.)

i feel as if i have no direction whatsoever. i spend nearly every waking moment reminiscing and/or wondering whether i'd be happier hopping freight trains or living as a laptop dilettante in transnistria.

my sameage-ish friends are more or less
similar.

you dissensus persons are smart as hell.

please tell me what i should do.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
figure out a way to capitalize on your (not so) youthful (anymore) antics and indulgences.