Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Syria

The massacres in Syria continue. Out of curiosity has anyone seen the below reported in any international media? Syrian deaths don't make the news anymore it seems. The host nation of the world cup continues to murder civilians and rescue workers but no one's that bothered. Imagine if these people were European.

Names of 45 civilians killed by the Russian air force last night in Zardana town in Idlib province. About 80 civilians were also injured. It's likely the death toll will rise. The Russian jets returned when the White Helmets first responders arrived to rescue the injured and did a double-tap strike targeting the humanitarian rescue workers, again, and killed one Ali Baradee.

Those who died are:

1. Hussein Mohammed Deeb Hamroush
    2. Mohammed Mahmoud Hamroush
    3. Ahmed Hussein Hamroush child
    4. Mohsen Ahmed Hamroush
    5. Omar Gomaa Hamroush
    6. Rahab Hamroush
    7. Abdullah Aziz Yasef
    8. Sana Aziz Yasef
    9. Ahmed Ahmed Yassouf
    10. Abdel Hayy Fayez Yassouf
    11. Ibrahim Mohamed Yassouf
    12. Abdel Wahab Louki (Abutah)
    13. Wife Abdul Wahab Louki
    14. His daughter
    15. His son Taha Louki child
    16. Nadima Louki
    17. Murad Louki
    18. Mohammed Louki
    19. Amani Susie
    20. A little girl Amani Susi's daughter
    21. Khaled Soufan
    22. Mohammed Khaled Soufan
    23. The child of Ibn 'Abd Allah Ahmad is Yusuf
    24. Abdel-Qader Amoun
    25. Mustafa Sobh
    26. Mohammed Saleh Amin
    27. Amina, wife of Sheikh Mohammed Hamroush
    29. Mohammed Taha Loki
    30. Hassan Ahmad Al-Mahmoud
    31. Ahmed Khaled Othman
    32. Emad Al-Hamoud, displaced, seller of sweets.
    33. Fawza Mohammed
    34. Abu Hassan al-Hadhir
    35. His wife
    36. His daughter
    37.'Abd Ibn Amunah bint Khalid Hamroush
    38. An unidentified child
    39. Ahmed Hassan Yasuf
    40. His wife Sabriya Yasuf
    41. His son Abdullah Ahmed Yasuf
    42. The son of Abdullah, a child
    43. Dr. Eid Hamroush
    44. Ahmed Ibrahim Amoun
    45. Ali Baradee, White Helmet rescue volunteer.

And more than 80 injured.

One reported missing is
    -Majd Ahmed Hamroush
    Last edited by DannyL; 09-06-2018 at 03:01 PM.

Death toll now over 50.

Some "good" news in that Germany have issued a warrant for one of Assad's torturers, based on victim testimony. Sounds like a similar case to that brought in Spain (as shown in the documentary Syria's Disappeared) - though IIRC that was a civil case brought by the families of one of the victims - and this is driven by Federal prosecutors.

More on Assad and torture: http://littleatoms.com/assads-torture-chiefs

This is an excellent piece of journalism that brings home the cross-regional nature of the conflict and the webs of economic dependency and status that the war has created: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.eaabda5ef278

Between 5,000 and 12,000 Afghans have participated in such units since they were established within the Fatemiyoun Division of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps, according to human rights and research groups. Most are refugees or workers living in Iran, but hundreds come from poor, ethnic Hazara and Shiite communities in this windswept city near the Iranian border, as well as other regions of Afghanistan.

One of the stories that's been emerging over the last few days is the delivery of death in custody notices to local town offices - now the war has been effectively won (if not the peace), the regime can begin to public acknowledge this. Thousands and thousands of people, tortured to death, though the notices all say "heart attacks". I'll post some links later. The saddest thing about this is all the photos - all these optimistic young activists vs. how they no doubt ended up after years in Assad's dungeons. This sort of shit should prevent the normalisation of relations with Assad's Syria (and the subsequent aid and redevelopment money) but I'm not holding my breath.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...s-crematorium/

Bearing in mind the direct requests for help from those in danger of being killed, does anyone still want to argue that all intervention is bad?

I don't know if anyone is listening to Rukmini Callimachi's Caliphate podcast? - because you should, it's amazing - in one of the later episodes (8?), she balances the two positions of intervention and pacifism very fairly. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    I don't know if anyone is listening to Rukmini Callimachi's Caliphate podcast? - because you should, it's amazing - in one of the later episodes (8?), she balances the two positions of intervention and pacifism very fairly. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    I was following her for ages, but now she's done this weird thing of looting all the documentation about ISIS on behalf of NYT

I would rather read than listen TBH, it feels like she's making herself and her looted materials into a netflix boxset

Thanks for keeping this thread going btw

Wouldn't that be standard journalistic practice? Gathering as much evidence as possible? She's working on behalf of the NYT but - I'm assuming but don't know - she'd turn this info over to state forces at some point - she seems to have pretty solid links with security services there and in the US and she has to keep 'em sweet somehow.

Re. the boxset thing, I did actually think on listening that this sets a new bar for podcasts - I could imagine seeing increased professionalisation of the medium in the wake of this.

Oh she says in last episode that the documents have been scanned and will be publicly available. The originals have gone to the Iraqi Embassy.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    Oh she says in last episode that the documents have been scanned and will be publicly available. The originals have gone to the Iraqi Embassy.
    Yeah i was following the controversy if not the podcast. Implementation of making the documents available publicly has been flaky and appears to be an afterthought, so it's sadly all looking like part of the thieving and destruction of Iraqi culture in the bigger picture.

I don't particularly blame Callimachi herself, apart from being a bit over-keen, but the NYT are basically dirty babylonians

Ah, I see - was totally unaware of that. If you could link me up to a summary, I'd appreciate it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sufi For This Useful Post:

Some photos:
    https://twitter.com/maitelsadany/status/1024383926704
    Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/akkad.aljab...c_location=ufi

Can't help but wonder what this implies about demographics in Syria. If the brightest and the best have been murdered or sent into exile, that's going to bite hugely at some point in the immediate future, assuming things are in any way normalised.

I don't like to use this thread as a kind of blog but I guess at least that means no one wants a huge argument. This story is too massive not to share's - if it true. It need further verfication but the reporter purports to have gained access to quotes from a meeting of high-ranking Syrian regime officials who're effectively proposing genocide:

http://syrianobserver.com/EN/Feature..._Be_Eliminated

The Head of the Air Force Intelligence said that more than three million Syrians are wanted and their judicial cases were ready. He added that “the huge number of people wanted will not be a major difficulty in achieving the plan.

“A Syria with 10 million trustworthy people obedient to the leadership is better than a Syria with 30 million vandals,” as he put it.

3 million people is 15% of the population - so that's 15% of the population that face torture at a bare minimum and murder as a possibility. Should have a huge impact of the refugee crisis as it's obviously illegal to return people facing this kind of threat.

A friend of mine has made this:

Directory of International Assadists - it's a reference dictionary of 151 politicians, journalists and public figures who in one way or another provide cover for the Assad regime.

The social media response has been really interesting - several thousand tweets against it in a few days, coming in at 1 a minute at one point.
    Last edited by DannyL; 28-08-2018 at 08:09 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to DannyL For This Useful Post: