Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Syria

Over the last year or so the kurds have been attacked by Iraq, Syria, Russia, Syrian rebels & ISIS - often simultaneously.

inevitable relevant interesting war nerd thread

Sounds p fucking bad for the Kurds obv. Won't go easy I'm sure they're tough as hell even by hill people standards but ya.

Not posted in this thread for a while partly as I'm finding the ongoing situation too horrific and heartbreaking to deal with (i dreamt about it last night) but this is an important article, detailing the social composition of Eastern Ghouta, how sectarianism and Islamist forces has played a role in the area and been countered, and how civil society has functioned under conditions of siege. It's such a welcome relief to read something like this after encountering the 2-d caricaturing that passes for discussion in a lot of the conventional media and Leftist discourse - even though the ending and current situation is deeply tragic.

https://mkaradjis.wordpress.com/2018...ass-and-islam/

Of particular interest to me was this section on elections, as the survival and resilience of civil society in conditions of siege is a side of the story you rarely hear:

While the council was originally formed by local consensus, given the difficulties of holding elections in a war-zone and the necessity of immediate administration, this gave way to elections which have become more democratic over time. A Supervisory Electoral Commission created by the National Assembly organised council elections in January 2014, electing 25 council members. These first elections were from general assemblies of the local communities, with some 26 local councils across Ghouta operating. The next step was to move on to full popular elections by secret ballot. The first such election took place in Arbin district in January 2016, followed by similar elections in Douma, al-Malihah, al-Abbadeh and Saqba during 2017. (the original link is full of hyperlinks). This makes such a counter to the seemingly endless horrible toxic racist bullshit about how the opposition are all jihadis.

I find the resilience of these people incredible. The Blitz lasted for about 9 months, 70 years ago, and the English are still slapping ourselves on the back for it.
    Last edited by DannyL; 21-03-2018 at 11:18 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DannyL For This Useful Post:

There's a real chance now this could escalate beyond Syria. The US strike on Dier Ez Zor in February, the new chemical attack in Douma, Bolton coming in today...

Turkish Lira at its lowest level ever and the Ruble plunging against the dollar.

Further vile bullshit from Seumas Quisling:

“The horrifying images and reports that have emerged from Douma point to an attack using chemical weapons, in blatant contravention of international humanitarian law, with young children among the many victims.

“As the Foreign Office has said, it is vital and urgent that there is a full and independent investigation of this reported attack, and that anyone found responsible for using chemical weapons is brought to justice. It is also equally vital and urgent to re-establish the recent ceasefire across Eastern Ghouta, agree a safe exit for the militias occupying Douma and any civilians who want to leave, and provide humanitarian relief and medical aid for all those civilians remaining in the city.

“And ultimately, there must be concrete steps on all sides to re-start meaningful talks on a political solution and lasting peace in Syria. The Syrian people have suffered too long from the atrocities and brutality of this war, whether committed by the Assad regime, by Jihadist militias, or by their respective international supporters, and it is time for that suffering to stop.”
    "Political solution and lasting peace"? Fuck off.

Corbyn actively worse than useless at this point.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

Yes, I would like to say I was shocked by the Labour Party response but I wasn't really. It's a fucking horrendous statement, absolutely fucking abject. I wonder to what degree Douma might be a turning point? In both people's perceptions of the anti-war Left, and in the war itself? A big joint response from the US and France is being promised, but I'm wondering if they'll roll back from it?

BTW in response to the question that pops up "Why would Assad use chemical weapons when he's winning?" - strategically, because it works. It's forced the estimated 8,000 Jai Al Islam troops to withdraw from the city and they're being bussed out as I type. They were heavily committed and would've been fighting for their homes - not "militias occupying Douma (as that fucking statement says) so Assad would have had his work hugely cut out fighting street by street. Still 170,000 civilians left there facing renewed bombardment with conventional weapons though.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DannyL For This Useful Post:

re-establish the recent ceasefire

What, that ceasefire when just short of 2000 people were murdered in their homes, hospitals and schools by Russian warplanes? That ceasefire?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DannyL For This Useful Post:

what peace talks. the sochi peace talks that the majority of the syrian opposition didn't participate in?

gullibility can only get you so far corbyn what with you entertaining stalinists on the regular. get fucking rid of seumas milne already.

Actually hang this cunt. class enemy.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

its only a step up from this to infowars shit.

Well yeah, I mean Assad is a hero in far-right/white-supremacist circles throughout Europe and the US.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.dda78a6ef12d

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/...115153121.html
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

that is only the tip of the iceberg the red-brown alliances stretch way back.

"Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said:

Reports of a large scale chemical weapons attack in Douma on Saturday causing high numbers of casualties are deeply disturbing. It is truly horrific to think that many of the victims were reportedly families seeking refuge from airstrikes in underground shelters.

Despite Russia’s promise in 2013 to ensure Syria would abandon all of its chemical weapons, international investigators mandated by the UN Security Council have found the Asad regime responsible for using poison gas in at least 4 separate attacks since 2014. These latest reports must urgently be investigated and the international community must respond. Investigators from the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons looking into reports of chemical weapons use in Syria have our full support. Russia must not yet again try to obstruct these investigations.

Should it be confirmed that the regime has used chemical weapons again, it would be yet another appalling example of the Asad regime’s brutality and blatant disregard for both the Syrian people and its legal obligations not to use chemical weapons.

We condemn the use of chemical weapons by anyone, anywhere. We are in close touch with our allies following these latest reports. Those responsible for the use of chemical weapons have lost all moral integrity and must be held to account."
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/f...in-douma-syria