gta 5

luka

im dedicating tomorrow to playing this. haven't been this excited for decades.

Of course I'm buying it (I'll wait for 2nd hand though), but a part of me worries me that Rockstar will spoil it a tad by making the plot too gloomy & the driving too realistic, i.e. hard. There's a recent book about GTA called Jacked. It doesn't talk as much about the games as it should but it focuses a lot on the brutal working conditions in the studios and the megalomania of the cockney bossmen (the Housers & friends). Fact- the Houser's mother was the sexy lady out of Get Carter.

luka

agree with you on the driving. I only played 4 a couple of times cos of that. made it well boring.

'Realistic' driving doesn't always make for much fun, especially when it's much harder to drive with a joypad than it does with a steering wheel in real life car. I found number 4 initially very difficult to drive but got used to it despite the fact that it wasn't as good as in San Andreas. Then a year or two later I tried to have another bash at GTA IV and my patience gave up on it after five minutes.

Definitely think GTA's peak was when it was set in the past rather than the present. How can you beat driving around blood & crips territory with the radio blasting vintage hip hop- Christ, they even managed to make the country music station good.

luka

the driving is intuitive and easy. only gripe is how often you fall over and how long it takes to get up again. seems uneccesary. otherwise evidently the greatest artistic achievement of the century, after san andreas anyway.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
No time, so not bothering until winter sets in.
RLLMUK are impressed though, which is a good sign.
Loved and finished 4.

Last edited:

Dusty

Tone deaf
I booked a week off work for this. It is beautiful. It's still misogynistic, the missions are no more complex than the previous game... but the environment is a work of art.

The sea animation, the colour of twilight, the sick yellow of tunnel lights, the way those lights reflect off car paint. The designers and 3D artists have created the ultimate balance of realism whilst retaining an acceptable framerate on the old console hardware.

Makes me incredibly excited to see what Rockstar can achieve with the new generation machines in a few more years.

And a friend of mine had an amazing idea, they really need to make the add on for this a zombie game like the Red Dead Redemption DLC.

Dusty

Tone deaf
I say the missions are no more complex, but I haven't got to the bank heists yet so things might well ramp up as the game progresses.

This game is one of the highest budget media ever made, and it really shows.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
This game's amazing, I played it round a mates over the weekend and I'm seriously considering buying an X Box 360 just so I can play it.

The driving is so fun. It's weird actually cos you drive around in this virtual sunny city listening to music and its like you're actually experiencing summer again, sort of - it makes you yearn to be in the outside world but is also so totally addictive that you will shut the curtains on the world for hours playing it. The exhilaration of driving super fast through a city transcended mere fun. I almost pooed myself.

Local Authority

bitch city
completed it a couple of weeks ago but... as nice as it is, i found the gameplay and storyline to be derivative of the previous games. online was amusing for a couple of days but doesn't really expand much on the online experience. matches are just like cod and its not that fun driving around a city with nothing to do. its just like going ziplining, its alright when your on it but when you get off theres no real motivation to do it again.

luka

the games a bit short. I don't know how I feel about the way they done it cos it does minimise frustration but at the same time there is very little challenge. there wasn't anything I had to try more than a handful of times. mind you ive never liked a challenge so it did suit me but I wish it was a bit longer

luka

can someone pull some strings and get me a writing gig with rockstar. I think they need some new blood.

CrowleyHead

Their humor's totally gone to shit. Fun game though.

Shout out to the use of 'yi-yi' as an insult in 2013. Like.......