Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Turn Up The Bites! (The Auto-Tune Rap Thread)

Travis Scott feat. Young Thug - Skyfall (2014)

Last edited by Corpsey; 05-03-2015 at 05:30 PM.

RICH GANG (Young Thug x Rich Homie Quan x Birdman) : Tha Tour Pt 1

Rich Gang - Lifestyle (2014)

Also relevant to this thread:

Godfather of robotic singing in the modern era talking about Auto Tune and his imitators.
    Last edited by Corpsey; 05-03-2015 at 05:28 PM.

King Louie - To Live & Die In Chicago (2014)
    Last edited by Corpsey; 05-03-2015 at 05:28 PM.

Fatty Wap - Trap Queen (2014)
    Last edited by Corpsey; 05-03-2015 at 05:27 PM.

Royce Rizzy feat. Wiz Kalifah, IAMSU! and Curtis Williams - Hoe In You RMX (2015)

Don't know why that is not working but it's Keef's Michelin. Oh it is - most tripped out use of Autotune I've heard.

That's pretty far-out.

Lil Durk feat. Ike Boy - Purge (2015)

DOWNTOWN DION - ONLY (PROD. HARRY FRAUD) (2016)

Is it fair to say that this is now the (or at least A) dominant sound in mainstream rap music? What with Post Malone, Lil Uzi Vert, Lil Yachty, etc., etc.

Just watching this video of Zaytoven against the clock (pretty cool video btw):

Discovered this song by Yung Pinch:

This video about Nelly (which is also pretty cool btw) sorta argues that he was the originator of the sing-rapping explosion (before Ja Rule and 50, e.g.). He definitely was hitting those sing-song two note melodies on 'Country Grammar':

Just checking in cos I'm listening to Spotify's almighty Rap Caviar playlist and descendants of future, wayne, et al are allll over it.

And the interesting thing is it's the opposite of Future in his dark mode, it's all poppy and happy - you can easily forget its about popping xans and fucking etc.

Production almost intersecting with trance on some of these tunes

Gutted by how much I like the songs by this guy that are on the playlist. Total cunt but I'm surprised he's clearly got a lot of talent. This is more RNB than rap, really, but with plentiful use of autotune and the point is the boundaries are beyond blurred.

Not to bleed the 'this and that' thread into this one but I do think it might be an interesting lens through which to analyse autotune in rap music

Allows ultramasculine gangsta rappers to sing, to express emotions that they might not have been able to in the past - obviously these explorations are limited, particularly given the usual lyrical content... However, it's interesting that this music has risen as at least a part of that generation has started dying their hair brightly, dressing like rock stars etc.

It's really fresh territory still, quite exciting to wonder where it might lead.

Also makes me wonder about the influence of drugs on rap music, the use of molly in particular

We don't really talk about this youth culture in america with its attitude towards drugs and fashion and sexuality - we're mostly totally removed from it

it's about being 'woke', and wondering what that does to tip the scale in utopian/dystopian attitudes in music

reminds me of luka in the this and that thread saying that pop music sounds post-human to him, totally digital

it might be wanky to suggest, but is the appetite for robotised voices something to do with our sense of identity in this computer age, and in the case of the young (who've never known anything else) particularly? what i'm driving at is the sense of being a digital person, a person whose identity is interfused with machines, and a sense of the potentiality of technology too?

like i'd have never suggested this for future, say, it's more this sparkly pixar-smooth pop rap (yachty,say) that makes me think it's an optimistic take on technology

Want to hate Travis Scott but I like some of his tunes