Turn Up The Bites! (The Auto-Tune Rap Thread)

linebaugh

I wouldnt call it 'happy.' In another thread we were calling stuff like post malone 'xanax music'. It is more palatable though, and minor key in a way that tugs teenage heart strings rather than make your skin itch

linebaugh

around that time I took a couple friends to the family fourth of july celebration and my buddy got so drunk he explained to my 80 year old fox news watching grandparents why he believed young thug was the new michael jackson.

Benny Bunter

I still dont really get what youre trying to say but then I've never knowingly heard post malone and dont keep up much with rap - it was the comparison to sweet harmony and let me be your fantasy that confused me

linebaugh

Im saying contrary to what corpsey says, the autotune croon/rapping that is most popular is still minor key and not 'happy.' Its still 'dark' but in a different way. A kind of I hate my parents, morrisey type of way.

linebaugh

I also think there might be something incompatible between the in your face foreign sounds of dance hall and this specific strain of emo. making it emo might make it no longer dance hall

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I guess I need to check stuff out see if they're using autotune in an experimental way cos my assertion was more about these songs becoming more conventionally melodic - including stuff that sounds like emo music.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Who can blame the yoof for being sad, really, it's not the greatest time to be alive.

I see I talked about the sadness thing on page 1, I should read before I write.
Just listening to that Gucci track, and knowing the depressive state's he's always in, its a reminder that autotune seems particularly good for expressing sadness/melancholy. It gives a weird melancholic edge to voices most of the time, I wonder why? Is it cos your voice wobbles when you're upset? Also when you sob you make those noises that slide in pitch smoothly ifyouknowwhatImean.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Now I think about it, I wonder if any emotion sounds entirely "genuine" when filtered through autotune. What I mean is that (to my ears) it's theatrical, it's cartoonish, it exaggerates and caricaturises. It sounds not quite (or not at all) human.