Turn Up The Bites! (The Auto-Tune Rap Thread)

Roshman

Will try and watch that tonight. I had an idea of the violence in Chicago but that doc really hit it home when it reveals that half the people they interviewed had died between when it was filmed, (in dec) and it's release.

I remember staying up late at night watching a live stream of J-Cush making some juke tunes in his bedroom when he hears gunshots and the feed suddenly turns into this dark insight into the one boys life trying to survive in Chicago. It went from cheerily pissing about in Fl Studio to; the lights are off and he's ducked below the window on the other side of the room.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
What also came through on that documentary to me was how at odds many of the personalities were with the aggressive mythology that's built up around Chicago and drill (naturally enough, but all too often docs indulge stereotypes, so it's refreshing to see). Durk, for example, had a certain kind of gentleness about him that really came through, as did others. Good to see Tink in there as well, just as I feared it might be an all-male affair. But yeah, the coda when they revealed two or three people in the film had died, was shocking.

I've gone from thinking 'Dis Ain't What You Want' was virtually unlistenable, to listening to it ten times in a row. Danny Glover too. There's definitely something original going on here aesthetically, something which for me was initially incomprehensible...

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
What also came through on that documentary to me was how at odds many of the personalities were with the aggressive mythology that's built up around Chicago and drill (naturally enough, but all too often docs indulge stereotypes, so it's refreshing to see). Durk, for example, had a certain kind of gentleness about him that really came through, as did others. Good to see Tink in there as well, just as I feared it might be an all-male affair. But yeah, the coda when they revealed two or three people in the film had died, was shocking.

This is true. I think there's something to do with public projection in the aggression of rap music - just as you will usually find wrong'uns aren't nasty or aggressive when they're alone but in groups they become all amped up and put on a tough guy front. Also, I think there's a lot of aggression and depression building up in these desperate communities which is being channelled into this music.

If I haven't already mentioned it in this thread I would urge anybody interested in the Chicago gang/gun-crime issue to check out ''The Interrupters''. Superb documentary which will make you angry and made me almost cry (ONLY ALMOST THO COS I AM A MAN WITH A PELVIC CHOPPER).

I heard an interview with Young Thug the other day, he sounded absolutely off his face. He claimed to have eaten chocolate colored raisins with molly in them. I couldn't tell if this was a joke or not, but in any case its the kind of joke somebody off their face on drugs is likely to be behind. Young Thug's ''Stoner'' is getting big in the US at the moment apparently, although personally I don't think its as good as ''Danny Glover''.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Agreed on Danny Glover. Me and some mates were continually blasting it last night. The more you try and understand what the fuck he is actually talking about, the stranger it gets.

I watched that documentary as well. Horribly depressing - I would've liked some more detail on the structural/economic stuff behind it. I knew this anyway, but one thing that it really brought home to me was how inter-generational the problems were. Nearly everyone's father seemed to have been inside, Katie Got Bandz story was goddamn awful. Seems like a generation living with compounded collective trauma.

On the upside, one thing I was impressed with was how nice they all were on the mic! Seemed to be a step up from the drill stuff I've heard on record. Ice Duck!

(... I know he ain't really Drill as such, but would've been nice to see Tree make an appearance).

DannyL

Wild Horses
Icy Duck actually....

&g=bb">&g=bb" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%%"> ">
I thought Lil' Bibby was really endearing as well.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Young Thug - Eww (2014)

808 Mafia and Young Thug need to make a whole album together cos this and ''Danny Glover'' are jaw dropping/mind melting.

King Los - Woke Up Like This (2014)

I retract my initial ambiguity, this is an anthem.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
</iframe><iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yL9bRzwk0Ds" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Travis Scott feat. Young Thug - Skyfall (2014)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xXNbt0yCfLQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Rich_Gang_Young_Thug_Birdman_Rich_Homie_Quan-front-large.jpg

RICH GANG (Young Thug x Rich Homie Quan x Birdman) : Tha Tour Pt 1

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nGt_JGHYEO4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rich Gang - Lifestyle (2014)

Also relevant to this thread:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Spz0CQ2oMtc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Godfather of robotic singing in the modern era talking about Auto Tune and his imitators.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Hu8PtiN0Ce8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

King Louie - To Live & Die In Chicago (2014)

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses

Don't know why that is not working but it's Keef's Michelin. Oh it is - most tripped out use of Autotune I've heard.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src=""></iframe>

DOWNTOWN DION - ONLY (PROD. HARRY FRAUD) (2016)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Is it fair to say that this is now the (or at least A) dominant sound in mainstream rap music? What with Post Malone, Lil Uzi Vert, Lil Yachty, etc., etc.

Just watching this video of Zaytoven against the clock (pretty cool video btw):

Discovered this song by Yung Pinch:

This video about Nelly (which is also pretty cool btw) sorta argues that he was the originator of the sing-rapping explosion (before Ja Rule and 50, e.g.). He definitely was hitting those sing-song two note melodies on 'Country Grammar':