brand vs paxman

craner

Beast of Burden
There is a contradiction in Brand: on the one hand he finds democratic politics disenfranchising and really boooooring, and on the other he wants a global government which would by definition be disenfrachising and certainly extremely boring if the deliberations of the EU and UN are anything to go by.

craner

Beast of Burden
Democratic politics is, largely, boring. Introducing the mimimum wage was boring work. Designing social security benefits is mind-numbingly tedious. But these things are essential and change peoples' lives and stop some from going under.

Politics is also about limits and compromise and when it isn't somebody has to be oppressed.

craner

Beast of Burden
Heartening. It's particularly grotesque when young people without families or disabilities or jobs or money have been the very people who have lost most from welfare reform under New Labour and the Coalition (and I say this as a New Labour partisan). Universal benefits for pensioners were not quite as well-intentioned as claimed. They did solve an important problem that existed into the 90s of the destitute and neglected elderly (but not the most fundamental problem, which is the erosion of family responsibilty and social atomisation) but they effectively sucked money from the support structures of the working-age, single poor, or whatever money there was for them (or could have been). This is to a large degree a naked and easy vote-winner, only exacerbated by voter apathy amongst the young. This will be far worse very soon, if the last Tory conference is any indicator. Engagement, therefore, is very, very important.

If Brand really wants a revolution then extreme slashing of the welfare state and minimal taxation will be the quickest way to get what he wants, as people starve and homeless shelters and food banks spread across the Kingdom. If he wants to improve social security and social mobility for the poor, he could do far worse in every respect than urging people to vote Labour and even join the party. Or even vote for anybody. The Greens won Brighton last time, and Galloway won in Bethnal Green once. It makes a difference, even in very small ways. Even on the level of local councils. Brand may be clever chap, but he is so bored by politics in the UK that I don't believe he truly understands how it actually works. Like Luke, it's all just fucking details to him; where's the romance, the grand drama, the flames? For somebody who is getting so much press for his ideas about discarding British parliamentary democracy, this is a bit of a problem.

craner

Beast of Burden
Your Dad was probably right. I don't know, I only met him once and our conversation went "Hello." "Hello."

It is not good enough to call for revolution on the grand platforms of the BBC and New Statesman editorial board, but when asked for an alternative to lay back defensively in his chair and squeal, "I don't know! It's not my job to have the answers!" Who's going to administer the council housing lists in this post-democracy utopia? He can get back to us when he has an answer.

luka

he was participating in a student lock in or occupation or whatever they were called. a lecturer there asked to be admitted. he was let in and was so terrified he had visibly pissed his pants but despite that stood in front of the students and talked lucidly and earnestly about why he believed parliamentary democracy and liberal humanism were the the least worst way of doing things. ralph was so impressed by the speech and the mans timid courage that he was converted. im being sentimental because it halloween was my dads birthday.

luka

for the record though i have never voted. in mitigation my vote would never have counted because i am from newham. perhaps if it had i would of. but as it stands i havent.

craner

Beast of Burden
I'm conflicted about the Australia thing, but not totally against it.

I watched League all Saturday. It's good but a bit repetative.

In Welsh Union news, Mike Phillips has just been sacked from Bayonne for turning up drunk to a training session. I must admit, I felt some sympathy. Plus, I like him. He's a hustling, aggressive gypsy-ish Carmarthan rat who looks like an extra from a Leone movie.

You have to recognise that Wales are the most exciting Northern Hemisphere side now. Justin Tipuric alone is sensational, and he can't even be assured of a place. George North is ripping through the English League. The Welsh clearly won the Lions tour for everybody else.