Cliches of Music Journalism

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I am guilty of employing my fair share of cliches in music reviews so this isn't no muthafuckin' witch-hunt but I'm curious as to which analogies/descriptions/general phrases you think pop up far too often in music journalism? This should be (notionally) interesting as people on dissensus are almost overwhelmingly either a) music journalists or b) people who read the work of music journalists semi-obsessively.

It's also an interesting topic because it brings up the issue of whether the language used to describe music is defined BY the music, or on the contrary if it defines the music (at least for those that read writing about it)? Certain genres of music end up attracting certain phrases/metaphors and you'll see these phrases popping up again and again.

Since getting into both production and writing/reading about music, I have found it increasingly hard to listen to music without either visualising it (as existing on a grid e.g.) or - words fail me - putting it into linguistic terms. To the point where now I wonder if other people just HEAR music, and if I used to just HEAR music too.

Also this brings up the question of what writing about music should seek to do, especially in this internet age, where everything is accessible to 'the consumer' within a few mouse clicks, journalists description be damned. Is the act of describing music redundant, now?

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
'Act A sounds like Act B doing something to Act C' really gets on my wick
Although the annoying thing about that - and about "X is like Y on acid" - is that it actually does a reasonably good job of telling you whether something's going to be enough up your street to be worth checking out.

CrowleyHead

Asking rappers if they've ever watched The Wire.

It has become a cliche. And every time it happens, a little part of me dies.

woops

is not like other people
adjectives

there's a weird addiction to verbs and nouns too. in fact, music journalists overuse almost every element of language. i'd like to see more reviews written entirely in punctuation, like Adrian Mole's novel.

CrowleyHead

This is brilliant though, I mean, if only I'd ever had the guts to do a music review consisting of "......................................................................................................................................................................................................, I mean..............................................................................................................."

PadaEtc

Emperor Penguin
Giving everything 3.5/5.

Worse than sounds like x mixed with y, or x on acid is a terrible metaphor to say the same thing. I once read that the producer had 'spilt the blood of Julio bashmore and summoned the spirit of akufen'. Really.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Describing songs or tunes as "crafted", as if they've been knitted or thrown on a potter's wheel.

Appending "-smith" to anything other than a type of metal.

And someone here mentioned it ages ago, but bands that "rise from the ashes of" previous bands - ugh.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Describing songs or tunes as "crafted", as if they've been knitted or thrown on a potter's wheel.

Appending "-smith" to anything other than a type of metal.

"Dylan Carson is one of America's greatest stoner-doomsmiths"?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
"Dylan Carson is one of America's greatest stoner-doomsmiths"?

Heh, I realized I'd let myself in for that as soon as I'd typed it.

I quite like the idea of being a 'doomsmith', actually.

Hey, anyone fancy forming a band called Doomsmith? I've got a bass, I can just downtune it by an octave or two. In fact I've got two basses, you can borrow one. We can have lead bass and bass bass.

Last edited:

philblackpool

gamelanstep
I've only been doing reviews etc a few months & I think I've already employed the "-smith" thing. I also just realised last night that I think I'm going to be, through different lengths of gestation for different types of articles, calling more than one thing 'majestic' & more than one thing 'scabrous' in the same issue next month, but they do remain majestic & scabrous I suppose!

I don't like the use of words that have obviously been looked up in the dictionary just to use for the piece. I also don't really like reviews that totally go off on a tangent (unless its someone as good as Lester Bangs!) - fitting the thing into something bigger is OK, but not when it takes over the piece completely at the expense of the album/whatever.