vimothy

yurp
vim, you're just trolling now, right? i know i'm just a dull blockhead but that first sentence alone elicited an eye roll. i'm sure it's not at all the pretentious word salad that it appears to be, care to explain it for the common man?

Hey Leo. Not trolling. Ireland's article is very much in the Ccru style a la Land, K-Punk, Sadie Plant, etc, etc -- I suppose it's a bit of a tribute. I thought it was a nice counterpoint to the Guardian article, which doesn't really touch on its philosophical side in much depth.

john eden

male pale and stale
I always thought CCRU came across as a bit pleased with itself. All that making up personas and words and alluding to things.

It was all stuff that I liked (jungle, gothic, lovecraft, occulture, sci-fi, subversion) but I hated the obscurantist style of it. I always associated them with people who would tell you in the 1990s that it was OK if you couldn't understand Deleuze and Guattari (you thicko), you should just let the words wash over you. They were mainly a lovely bunch of people when I met them though.

There's a bunch of their stuff here https://libcom.org/library/ccru-writings-1997-2003

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
And that's the pity of it. I'm sure the article Vimothy quoted had sth interesting to say, so why hide behind the status defences of whatever form of academese that was?

droid

Openly fascist torchlit procession in Virginia complete with Nazi banners and armed militia, driven out by mass antifa counter protest. Spencer arrested, Baked Alaska maced, Isis style car attack on counter protestors.

Just in case anyone hasnt been watching the news.

droid

Where's Josef when you need him? Im sure he could've sorted this all out with a nice chat and a cup of tea.

6.0.jpg

DannyL

Wild Horses
https://www.buzzfeed.com/claudiakoe...sville-crash?utm_term=.iiKVlRd3MK#.tubEgNG8Z6

Mr Fields is also a huge Assad fan :poop: - well, Nazis have this affinity to gas after all

There's a really horrible bit of video on Twitter with a couple of these shitbags going on about how great barrel bombs are and how "Assad is the man". Excrement with legs but not entirely surprising. The dude in the video starts going on about "globalists" i.e. the Syrian conflict is about global interests/US hegemony -all the usual conspiracy bullshit. As I've said before this on here, this stuff has a big audience on the alt left as well as the alt-right - not sure if I can really tell the difference anymore.

firefinga

"Globalists" is the euphemism du jour for Jews, isn't it?

Not exclusively, but you usually get references that point into that direction. Usually, Soros is supposed to sponsor em all, from Antifa to BLM. Soros being of course the great jewish puppet master.

DannyL

Wild Horses
"Globalists" is the euphemism du jour for Jews, isn't it?

I guess so! Hadn't occurred to me but yeah. I always think of elites/Rothchilds/Zionists as being pretty obvious giveaways. You can see these particular heros here - link in first paragraph. I was thinking more about how (factions of) the Left and Right rail agains the same enemies and praise the same figures. With these guys there seems to be a worship of the cult of the strong going on. Anyway, a passing prayer for their painful deaths.

Last edited:

firefinga

There's a really horrible bit of video on Twitter with a couple of these shitbags going on about how great barrel bombs are and how "Assad is the man". Excrement with legs but not entirely surprising.

The "great" thing about this usually is, it's the very same people claiming that accusations of Assad using barrel bombs and combat gas is "fake news". A couple minutes later they praise him on twitter for doing the exact thing.

firefinga

The irony in this vid is, it's from the Trump cheerleading !Canadian! youtube channel "RebelMedia". The car almost hit one of their reporters.

I refer to the comments to get an idea how these people think.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I refer to the comments to get an idea how these people think.

Never, ever read YouTube comments. These are people who can somehow crowbar a racist jibe at Obama or something vile about Muslims into a comment thread on the reproductive behaviour of naked mole rats. Looking at comments about something explicitly political is a sure-fire way to piss your remaining faith in humanity up against the wall.

Leo

John Oliver on Trump/Charlottesville: "Nazis are like cats. If they like you, it's probably because you're feeding them."

firefinga

Never, ever read YouTube comments. These are people who can somehow crowbar a racist jibe at Obama or something vile about Muslims into a comment thread on the reproductive behaviour of naked mole rats. Looking at comments about something explicitly political is a sure-fire way to piss your remaining faith in humanity up against the wall.

I am fully aware of the venom that's gettin' sprayed there. It's fascinating and disgusting at the same time. It's not that these vitriolic sentiments are new all of a sudden, but you can read 'em there in all it's "glory".

Leo

Paradox of tolerance

The paradox of tolerance, first described by Karl Popper in 1945, is a decision theory paradox. The paradox states that if a society is tolerant without limit, their ability to be tolerant will eventually be seized or destroyed by the intolerant. Popper came to the seemingly paradoxical conclusion that in order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_tolerance

DannyL

Wild Horses
I can't speak for the other people there, but Blumenthal is deserving of the sobriquet, as you can tell from the phrase "regime change trolls". He's published a few fairly lengthy smears of the White Helmets and repeated a load of muddying the water disinformation connected to the guy who took the photo of Omran Daqneesh. People like him are exactly who I mean when I use the term.

droid

IIRC, there are some questions around the white helmets.

Regardless, when you find yourself casually using language popularised by neo-nazis to describe their opponents, I would hope it would prompt some self reflection.