KAN YAY OR KAN NAY? (The Kanye West Thread)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I liked Mercy APART from the technoey breakdown. Sort of reminded me of Kanye's "Don't Like" Rmx. Overcomplicating things.

Benny Bunter

you must have benn really going out of your way to avoid kanye if you haven't heard mercy. even for a very casual rap listener like me it seemed inescapable at the time

you'll probably hate it anyway lol

rubberdingyrapids

i was thinking i cant be bothered to think about kanye anymore. but i cant help it. argh. i think his career is interesting for being a sort of start off indie, move closer to the mainstream, end up as stupid as many mainstream artists, but still kind of do that thing people always talk about but dont often do, which is take new ideas into the mainstream without alienating people. so his concessions (not that i think they are even conscious, i think he has just become who he portrays, even if hes semi-aware of its problems; semi aware cos kanye has so little real self awareness, which might be what he should see a therapist about) are the sexism, the bro-isms, all the stuff people love dream and weekend for, the 'fuck you im rich' stuff, but all the while the music is getting more challenging, less obvious, less pop. also, all his confessional imperatives, the 'i must tell you everything about me' stuff reminds me of eminem, who also ended up boring everyone, cos after a while, ugliness, is just ugliness, no matter how honest. i wonder if that is where kanye ends up going.

The quietus review is pretty spot on. All that stuff about kim and ray j is just straight embarrassing.

idk. kanye talking about being the best all the time in the hope that others believe it? i mean, thats just hip hop. its about talking shit. bigging yourself up. how is kanye any diff? obv the lines about kim and women in general are pathetic, but i mean, the idea of kanye as being conservative might be right morally, in terms of his attitudes, but musically, it just doesnt really hold true. as for equating success in playing the capitalist game with genius, well, kanyes hardly the only one doing that. thats hip hop for you. its all one messy whole.

ok, im not posting about kanye anymore.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm very interested in how singing became part of rapping - I guess it was always a part of it to some extent, but it seemed to become more pronounced around the end of the 90's. Perhaps the intersection of rap and RNB?

E.G.

This is a Harlem precursor of Max B too.

Not to derail thread entirely although Max B was being talked about in conjunction with this album when it was still called Waves.

CrowleyHead

internet sez its not kuedo but a (replayed?) sample from moroder's scarface soundtrack

Two factors that negate that for me:

A) The fact Hudson Mohawke was around at the time of the production. This is preceding the TNGHT flip on "Blood On The Leaves", so at the time electronic producers messing with trap was still uncharted and certainly only Kuedo was messing with the idea of those Moroder/Vangelis styled synths breakdowns being applied to modern rap style drums. Mohawke would definitely be the kind of person who would think of robbing that style.

B) In rap at that time, nobody was thinking of those sort of synths. Look at Mike Will who was the other main contributor to the beat and his music around that time... None of the synths on his production were ever used in that sort of building chordal, layered fashion. Nobody else at the time who would've been popping, Sonny Digital, Lex to a lessened degree, 808 Mafia, Lil Lody. Maybe Drumma Boy, but he was often more fond of dreamy R&B type organs and guitar washes. There's no precedent for it in rap as far as the climate that Kanye was trying to emulate. Whereas look at "Cold", him and Hit-Boy already established that as their sort of take on trap with "Paris", and by that point it was established and had even been accepted within the radio as suitable.

This is a thing about Kanye, everything he does is actually much more closely connected to wherever rap is at this point than I like to admit sonically, albeit rather aspirational and overly stylized so its nowhere near as old hat as say... Whenever Nas jumps on a southern rap record every 3 years with that one double time flow he loves to do (Bless him). He has to establish distance while trying to emulate where rap is now. If he tried to still rap over real rap drums, he'd be fucking dead career-wise.

rubberdingyrapids

thats all plausible, but its not like moroder has never been touched by hip hop producers. you just have to listen to el-p or alchemist, outkast, etc. that mid section in mercy is more euro-dance/disco/EDM-ish than kuedo in any case. i dont remember any 4/4 kuedo.

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

doesnt look like anyone on this site even cares about kanyes albums lol, but id rank his albums like this -

graduation
late registration
yeezus
pablo
dark twisted bloated fantasy
808s
college dropout