KAN YAY OR KAN NAY? (The Kanye West Thread)

CrowleyHead

I'm 900% certain that nobody finds Kanye's race to be the direct issue they have with him, in this message board. At least I'd hope.

I wonder what it is that makes certain egos trigger certain people? For example, I find Zomby's ego boring, not insufferable. Flying Lotus on the hand, I want him to end his days going off a cliff at high-speeds due to his precious "Why should I obey rules? I'm a creative individual who believes in real art..." attitude, that the world should cater to his needs. Where NOBODY is suppressing him. Meanwhile Kanye deliberately provokes, disparate groups of audiences, varying in race, background, culture. It seems obvious he should have the greatest chip on his shoulder and infantile attitude towards criticism.

rubberdingyrapids

"When people think celebrity, which is the highest form of communication—we're like walking networks or TV shows or brands in ourselves—you don't think good taste," he said. "And I believe that bad taste is vulgar. It's like cursing. I think the world can be saved through design. Because what is the most distasteful thing someone can do? Kill someone. So, good taste is the opposite of that."

haha. hes both full of shit and likeably naive.

there is something weird/offputting about a guy who writes some pretty repulsive (albeit also quite funny) lines talking about taste and aesthetics as the ultimate pursuit and as being part of his way to morally improve the world.

Leo

"...throughout my entire life, because of how my parents raised me, I have to work with the No. 1. I can't work with anyone but Jay Z, because he's No. 1."

um...you're working with james blake, dude.

CrowleyHead

um...you're working with james blake, dude.

I'm certain he believes that whatever he does with James Blake will be infinitely superior to what Blake does on his own...

Which, I mean, is probable. Arca hasn't done shit in his actual career as he did for Yeezus (save maybe the FKA Twigs LP, which I haven't heard).

Leo

grammys 2015 and, to paraphrase our president, kanye's still a jackass.

i don't care what you think of beck (and btw, that album is pretty good), have some respect for artists you don't understand, quit being the biggest fucking narcissistic crybaby and just STFU, ok?

sorry, had to get that off my chest...

trilliam

kanye is such a thug, when will he start behaving like a normal person, i mean does he think it's his god given right to an opinion or something

outrage outrage outrage :rolleyes:

Leo

kanye is such a thug, when will he start behaving like a normal person, i mean does he think it's his god given right to an opinion or something

outrage outrage outrage :rolleyes:

twisting my words there. he's a self-centered crybaby who has to make everything about him, always needs to be in the spotlight. plus, his "critique" is beck needs to respect the artistry yet here he is shitting on another artist (e.g., NOT respecting the artistry) just because he disagrees. if you can't see that he's a hypocrite, then yr not looking very hard.

rubberdingyrapids

people like to only see the superficial with kanye. so many kneejerk reactions whenever he does something like this, which is always interesting to see.

hes not really being a crybaby for himself, its for beyonce. so hes not a TOTAL narcissist. its also just a bit funny. and he played a joke this time, playing on his own past antics. so he does appear to have some sense of how he is perceived. anyway, that little upset was more interesting than anything beck has done in some years. im not even sure if beyonces album is better than morning phase or not, but she is more relevant in terms of modern pop culture than beck right now, which is kanye's usual angle for these kinds of public protests that he likes to stage. but as the grammys are more about establishment favourites, its not a surprise for beck to win. i expect beyonce to do better at something like the VMAs.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
7edJDH5.jpg

rubberdingyrapids

lol 14 instruments - so fucking what.

id rather listen to XO than anything on morning phase. beck is just getting the 'youve been doing this for 20-odd years now, here is your pat on the back for all your hard work' vote. doesnt hurt that that album is pretty reverential of a heap of classic rock artists that the grammys voters probably love.

trilliam

nah i see u leo still

one thing i will say though is that everyone, EVERYONE criticizes the grammys

but when kanye does what we all do its homg

Leo

yeah, i'm just blowing off some stream. ;)

totally agree that tons of people (including me) criticize the grammys, but the difference is they're generally criticizing the grammy voters for their selections. in this case, kanye feels it necessary to attack the winning artist, not the academy, and i think that's lame. he's 100% entitled to like what he likes and support it, but it's grandstanding bullshit to crap on another artist who won, all the while preaching about how beck needs to "respect the artistry". how, exactly, did beck disrespect "the artistry"?

it would have been great if he had just done his fake walk towards the stage bit, which was funny and clever and self-aware. but he couldn't leave it there, had to go off on beck later in an interview.

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

He didn't attack the winning artist, and even the winning artist thinks this wasn't given to the right artist.

I only like half this man's discography, but I love how people REALLY show their fucking ass whenever this man does something.

CrowleyHead

Prince can play more than 14 instruments, better than Beck, and he didn't even get a nomination. So let's not act like musical ability and artistry has shit to do with this fuck all industry. For christ's sake, Adele is such a sloppy singer she borders on atonal, yet she got slathered with Grammys not so long ago.

I don't even care about Beyonce, but she did actually unique things this year with her album, her promotion, hell her sales were good and lets be fair, that matters a lot more in this day and age when nobody wants to shell out a fucking penny for albums. I'm out here getting flack from peers because I buy physical media that isn't *mouthbreather noises* VINYL. And Beyonce managed to move platinum sales off an itunes release she flipped out on a whim. And people found critical appreciation of it regardless of perceptions of her talent.

To paraphrase the words of Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson, what I'm trying to say is.... FUCK BECK, FUCK THE GRAMMIES, FUCK EVERYBODY!

Leo

I only like half this man's discography, but I love how people REALLY show their fucking ass whenever this man does something.

never understood why kanye is a such a martyr who for some reason deserves to get a pass whenever he acts like a jerk.

CrowleyHead

never understood why kanye is a such a martyr who for some reason deserves to get a pass whenever he acts like a jerk.

Well you're being histronic, creating the disparity of martyrdom and jerk, so IDK... We let you post right?

I don't agree with everything he does. I wish his fashion desires met with prices where his fanbase who are not economically gifted actually can afford. He can be as misogynistic as any rapper, and encourages acts like Travis Scott who overtly develop a class gap within his genre.

And he isn't a martyr, but he is often challenged for the wrong reasons. I think your stance against him "WOW, WHAT A GLIB JERK" is childish as hell, but its not something I'm really upset about because you just don't like the guy. That's cool. But to act like he doesn't have a point just because he's a jerk is foolish.

Leo

we agree to disagree. someone can make a valid point without being a jerk, and those who insist on doing it that way are fair game to be called out for it. i just don't get why for some reason he's above reproach, and any pushback against him is automatically deemed childish/foolish.

rubberdingyrapids

popstars/rappers/musicians do not have to issue every statement as if they are rational guardian journalists. i do not understand why people expect this of people making music. i think its all to do with our modern conservatism or the general middle-classness of discourse around music these days and who is making it. kanye isnt like a spike lee, someone who is always angry, theres a lot of humour and mischief and dare i say vulnerability there too. the guy gives the best interviews of anyone from the last decade. and it is kind of about how the grammys (often, not always) view black music/artists compared to rock bands/artists that kanye is also no doubt thinking about when he sees beyonce get passed on though i am aware this might be a specious observation, and one that might not actually be true (beyonce has apparently won 20 grammies already according to wikipedia lol), - i wouldnt know, i dont care about the winners, though i am sure this is some of what is passing through kanyes brain as he sees beck win over his old mentor's wife. 'like, ____ (insert random white artist) wins, but beyonce doesnt?!'

Last edited: