Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fairlights, Mallets & Bamboo Vol. 2

Is that the one that starts with a scream? That's the first one I heard. It's incredible.

Prompted by this thread being bumped, I downloaded the Akira S/T last yesterday. Proper hair-raising stuff. I definitely need to check out more music by these guys.

Really wish I could make music like that but I guess it's the kind of thing you need a choir and lots of proper instruments for - an orchestra, even. That said, I dunno what equipment yyaldrin uses but some of his music reminded me of Akira. I think it was the crazy breathless singing/chanting.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

i think this is maybe my favourite

yep, stellar record. i saw that on vinyl and thought it too expensive, now it goes for three times as much on discogs! crazy prices on all this stuff, unfortunately.
    la sonrisa es divina, la risa humana, la carcajada animal

Well into the Mkwaju Ensemble records, never heard them before.

There was a good thread here a while back about the 80s pop/disco side of things - Mariah, Sandii, Phew, all that stuff. Another one I like:

The midori tanaka (from mkaju ensemble) solo album is amazing too.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    Well into the Mkwaju Ensemble records, never heard them before.

There was a good thread here a while back about the 80s pop/disco side of things - Mariah, Sandii, Phew, all that stuff.
    this one is old as the hills but has some info: http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=4084

This stuff just started getting recommended to me by YouTube over the last few months. I didn't even know it existed before that really.

weird isn't it, my sister was recommended the midori takada and mort garson and she is in no way into anything like that. those records are now popular (on youtube) in a way they would never have been when they were made, interesting because they are impossible to get otherwise.

in a sense the more obscure, the less likely a copyright holder is to issue a takedown notice (cultural/language distance from market of origin?), the more likely it is to lead a quiet digital life, slowly gathering views, stumbled upon by unsuspecting youtube users.. until gaining over a million views and being recommended to my sister.

And it's the same with music sharing blogs. It's always been easier to find musique concrete, Romanian spectralism, new age private pressing from Sedona and German free jazz than contemporary R&B etc

Quote Originally Posted by bruno View Post
    weird isn't it, my sister was recommended the midori takada and mort garson and she is in no way into anything like that. those records are now popular (on youtube) in a way they would never have been when they were made, interesting because they are impossible to get otherwise.
    Same here, also popped up on youtube at some point.

Some cool stuff on this blog. Really like this one:

Reminds me a lot of these early Takeshi Kitano yakuza movies.

its a fantstic blog stuffed full of treats. shes got fantastic taste. what i thught was telling is she knows all these super obscure records largely through file sharing blogs, but a canonical indie band, durutti collom, was a new discovery for her.

millenials innit.
    Last edited by luka; 31-01-2017 at 10:01 AM.