Fairlights, Mallets & Bamboo Vol. 2

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Well into the Mkwaju Ensemble records, never heard them before.

There was a good thread here a while back about the 80s pop/disco side of things - Mariah, Sandii, Phew, all that stuff. Another one I like:

luka

This stuff just started getting recommended to me by YouTube over the last few months. I didn't even know it existed before that really.

bruno

est malade
weird isn't it, my sister was recommended the midori takada and mort garson and she is in no way into anything like that. those records are now popular (on youtube) in a way they would never have been when they were made, interesting because they are impossible to get otherwise.

bruno

est malade
in a sense the more obscure, the less likely a copyright holder is to issue a takedown notice (cultural/language distance from market of origin?), the more likely it is to lead a quiet digital life, slowly gathering views, stumbled upon by unsuspecting youtube users.. until gaining over a million views and being recommended to my sister.

luka

And it's the same with music sharing blogs. It's always been easier to find musique concrete, Romanian spectralism, new age private pressing from Sedona and German free jazz than contemporary R&B etc

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
weird isn't it, my sister was recommended the midori takada and mort garson and she is in no way into anything like that. those records are now popular (on youtube) in a way they would never have been when they were made, interesting because they are impossible to get otherwise.

Same here, also popped up on youtube at some point.

luka

its a fantstic blog stuffed full of treats. shes got fantastic taste. what i thught was telling is she knows all these super obscure records largely through file sharing blogs, but a canonical indie band, durutti collom, was a new discovery for her.

millenials innit.

Last edited:

luka

As I said some other time I was trying to write essays and needed things without beats or vocals. So went through ambient and drone and musique concrete and modern classical electroacoustic freaks etc etc etc