'To do' managing applications

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
All I want is a simple online app to order the stuff I need to do. Nothing fancy, just something that can pop up in the corner of my screen like a note on my fridge, to save me scribbling down endless stuff on paper or sending emails to myself.

It seems like this should be a really easy request, but everything I've found seems too goddamn complicated. Don't care about sharing info or anything technical - just something very simple.

Any ideas?

sufi

lala
oddly the same question came up on a mailing list i subscribe to yesterday
here are some wise responses digested from of the ninja/gurus' discussions
  • Right now I use Workflowy for my big list, and a single post-it note to focus on what I need to do for the day. https://workflowy.com/
  • This is a very witty one: http://www.[B]donebywhen[/B].com/
  • I love Trello for a simple collaboration / project management tool... https://trello.com/
  • It's all about Any.do for me, the two clinchers being adding tasks from emails to it with the click of a button (the inbox too often functions as a second to do list!), and the beautiful Cal app, which blends your to do list with appointments in a very elegant UX.
  • I've tried out several systems over the years largely based around the Getting Things Done approach from David Allen. I started using Outlook Tasks, tried out TaskTask which synced my tasks onto the Iphone. I then worked with Omnifocus for a while which is a lovely apple based task application. However, I now use my own method based in Evernote.
  • i’m also a big fan of wunderlist — and the shared task list with assignments is a nice bonus if you're working on a project with someone who also uses wunderlist (similar to shared evernote notebook)

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
There's an app called Notes as well which is just what is says - a post it sized note that you can write on on your computer. Might be Mac only.

This thread embodies the problem with these fucking things though - they have a way of getting more and more complicated, and embroiling you in a world of comparisons, updates, cloud sharing, webclipping and general fannying around before you know it, you've made your life 5 times more complicated than it was before, and you spent three hours noncing around with apps rather than actually doing anything. They are a PLAGUE and a CANCER and they should be STOPPED.

Pen and paper or a notebook is the way forward.

Edit - Evernote is quite nice but about a month after I DLed I realised I was spending ages fucking around with it in a nerdy way and it wasn't actually making me do anything in a productive sense it was just another time sink. Then I got bored with it and started fucking around with something else for a bit. Seriously, pen and paper.

Edit2 - look at Sufi's post above. No offence intended but this is all about trying out new apps, not about getting thing done in a timely fashion.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Thanks for all the recommendations. I plumped for Trello, and it's working for me - feels like I have five fridges now.

I'm finding it is better than pen and paper, if only because you can reorder things so easily. There's still something satisfying about crossing off items on a paper list though.

Last edited: