True Detective

benjybars

village elder.
Yeah second season was a major disappointment really. Acting wasn't all that bad.. thought Colin Farrell was surprisingly good actually. Vaughan a lot less convincing but certainly not terrible.

Thoughts on the Leonard Cohen soundtrack for the intro?

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Yeah second season was a major disappointment really. Acting wasn't all that bad.. thought Colin Farrell was surprisingly good actually. Vaughan a lot less convincing but certainly not terrible.

Thoughts on the Leonard Cohen soundtrack for the intro?

Agreed on acting.

I blame Leonard Cohen for many things, but not the failure of TD S02.
Intro music was OK for this (big name actors, big name music - could have been much worse).

CrowleyHead

I watched the first episode of this...lol. Is Matthew McConaughey meant to be a 14 year old? Cringe inducing stuff.

I honestly loved that aspect, because its v. easy if you're that kind of guy to over-identify with McConaughey. So in that regard I identified with every time Harrelson was like "I JUST WANT YOU TO STOP SAYING ODD SHIT." as a sort of reflex against how navel-gazey the show itself is.

Its a Buddy Cop series, the first season. Once they get rid of that element a lot of the charm is removed, and it becomes a lot more of the sentimentalist brooding that plagues Pizolatto's work, and his truly STAGGERINGLY BAD methods of writing dialog. The whole point of S1 is that its an internal dialog, the two elements fighting each other, in one stupid masculine archtype. Now he's gone and tried to spread it out between three people who he never bothers to flesh out properly except for Farrell's character.