Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 67

Thread: Sleaford Mods

  1. #16
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    CHI
    Posts
    3,762

    Default

    sometime dissensus person Phil Blackpool wrote a pretty thorough exegesis of the Mods here

    in addition to points of reference mentioned here he also includes things like: the Beats, Terry Callier, Sex Pistols, Crass (MC does come across a bit northern Steve Ignorant), Sham 69, IAN DURY, Exploited, Happy Mondays and Petshop Boys (in the singer + underemployed looking musician model) as well as (early) the Streets and, like Mike Skinner, Wu Tang. personally it makes me think The Streets (but bitter rather than melancholy) via Wu x Ian Dury x (It's Grim Up) North x the various UK youth tribes ca. 77-85 or so x the saltiness of encroaching middle age. but yeah bit of a complicated proposition.

    this is my favorite. aside from the general brilliance of sampling Road Runner's proto-motorik, he just sounds so freaking exasperated by it all.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    CHI
    Posts
    3,762

    Default

    undoubtedly my favorite Sleaford Mods lyric is

    "the fookin ills ave eyes"

    cult 70s indie horror retransmuted into like, Danelaw Shakespeare

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    w.yorkshire
    Posts
    2,500

    Default

    I'm loathe to get into the Bourgeois pontifications on the meaning of it all - fuck off - I keep out of it -

    But this:

    Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    he just sounds so freaking exasperated by it all.
    alongside the absolute and resolute refusal to apologise.


    I've had '8 hours at Gedling Council' going round my head all day.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    610

    Default

    These two videos are amazing and say a lot about the band's appeal, I think. You have to watch each to the end to really get it. That look on his face at the end of the "Donkey" vid... what does that say to you?




  5. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    THE YABBA
    Posts
    5,779

    Default

    It's gonna be hilarious when they get the Mercury Prize

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    5,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    in addition to points of reference mentioned here he also includes things like: the Beats, Terry Callier, Sex Pistols, Crass (MC does come across a bit northern Steve Ignorant), Sham 69, IAN DURY, Exploited, Happy Mondays and Petshop Boys (in the singer + underemployed looking musician model) as well as (early) the Streets and, like Mike Skinner, Wu Tang. personally it makes me think The Streets (but bitter rather than melancholy) via Wu x Ian Dury x (It's Grim Up) North x the various UK youth tribes ca.
    Some truth in all (OK, just most - Terry Callier?), but amazed no one has mentioned Pitman. Are they seen as too serious to be associated with a novelty/comedy act?
    Last edited by crackerjack; 06-04-2014 at 03:41 PM.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Kingston
    Posts
    1,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack View Post
    Some truth in all (OK, just most - Terry Callier?), but amazed no one has mentioned Pitman. Are they seen as too serious to be associated with a novelty/comedy act?
    Pitman!!! Of course, Coalville's finest, good call.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Kingston
    Posts
    1,274

    Default

    And Donkey reminds me of 'Fix Up, Look Sharp', so add Dizzee to that list.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bath
    Posts
    2,233

    Default

    It says on this site the first 3 albums were reissued last year

    http://musicnottingham.com/tag/sleaford-mods/

    but the links are dead and they aren't available on the Bandcamp, anyone know where you can get them?

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wise View Post
    It says on this site the first 3 albums were reissued last year

    http://musicnottingham.com/tag/sleaford-mods/

    but the links are dead and they aren't available on the Bandcamp, anyone know where you can get them?
    I'm going to optimistically take this as a sign that someone is planning to reissue all the albums on vinyl.

    Finally found some Mods vitriol aimed directly at me personally. From "14-Day Court" (I think): "Sonic Youth fans, MBV/If you like feedback so much, why don't you get a job with the council?"

    Think I got off lightly there. Been trying to get a job with the council for years, actually.

  11. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    undoubtedly my favorite Sleaford Mods lyric is

    "the fookin ills ave eyes"

    cult 70s indie horror retransmuted into like, Danelaw Shakespeare
    One of my favourite lines from the new album:

    'Three words: cage, wheel, hamster. Here, here's a bit of cheese, nibble the bastard!' (Under the plastic and ntc)

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North East London
    Posts
    5,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by connect_icut View Post
    I'm going to optimistically take this as a sign that someone is planning to reissue all the albums on vinyl.
    .
    says on their website that there will be a 2xLP in May, for their european tour.

  13. #28

    Default

    I was told that's a bootleg, John, but they seem happy enough to promote it and certainly not complain about it.

    Any Londoners who missed out on a ticket for their gig on April 25th at the 12 Bar Club, I have a spare. It's on the door so we'd have to make arrangements but if you want to go message me and we'll sort something out. 7. Don't worry, you won't have to hang around with me.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    East Loondon
    Posts
    1,534

    Default

    There's another version of Jobseeker over a loop fromThe Yardbirds "For Your Love", which I prefer. I guess it adds to that "complex proposition" (only just seen the second page of this thread). I really like them, a breath of fresh air, and I like the fact that they seem genuinely angry which doesn't seem to be happening elsewhere in British music.

    Going to see them at the 12 Bar gig. Cant' wait.
    Last edited by DannyL; 07-04-2014 at 06:31 PM.

  15. #30

    Default

    Actually, Danny, they're a breath of putrid air coming from the trap just vacated (lots of toilet/shit references in their lyrics).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •