Sleaford Mods

crackerjack

in addition to points of reference mentioned here he also includes things like: the Beats, Terry Callier, Sex Pistols, Crass (MC does come across a bit northern Steve Ignorant), Sham 69, IAN DURY, Exploited, Happy Mondays and Petshop Boys (in the singer + underemployed looking musician model) as well as (early) the Streets and, like Mike Skinner, Wu Tang. personally it makes me think The Streets (but bitter rather than melancholy) via Wu x Ian Dury x (It's Grim Up) North x the various UK youth tribes ca.

Some truth in all (OK, just most - Terry Callier?), but amazed no one has mentioned Pitman. Are they seen as too serious to be associated with a novelty/comedy act?

Last edited:

connect_icut

It says on this site the first 3 albums were reissued last year

http://musicnottingham.com/tag/sleaford-mods/

but the links are dead and they aren't available on the Bandcamp, anyone know where you can get them?

I'm going to optimistically take this as a sign that someone is planning to reissue all the albums on vinyl.

Finally found some Mods vitriol aimed directly at me personally. From "14-Day Court" (I think): "Sonic Youth fans, MBV/If you like feedback so much, why don't you get a job with the council?"

Think I got off lightly there. Been trying to get a job with the council for years, actually.

Timewriter

undoubtedly my favorite Sleaford Mods lyric is

"the fookin ills ave eyes"

cult 70s indie horror retransmuted into like, Danelaw Shakespeare

One of my favourite lines from the new album:

'Three words: cage, wheel, hamster. Here, here's a bit of cheese, nibble the bastard!' (Under the plastic and ntc)

Timewriter

I was told that's a bootleg, John, but they seem happy enough to promote it and certainly not complain about it.

Any Londoners who missed out on a ticket for their gig on April 25th at the 12 Bar Club, I have a spare. It's on the door so we'd have to make arrangements but if you want to go message me and we'll sort something out. £7. Don't worry, you won't have to hang around with me. ;)

DannyL

Wild Horses
There's another version of Jobseeker over a loop fromThe Yardbirds "For Your Love", which I prefer. I guess it adds to that "complex proposition" (only just seen the second page of this thread). I really like them, a breath of fresh air, and I like the fact that they seem genuinely angry which doesn't seem to be happening elsewhere in British music.

Going to see them at the 12 Bar gig. Cant' wait.

Last edited:

Timewriter

Actually, Danny, they're a breath of putrid air coming from the trap just vacated (lots of toilet/shit references in their lyrics). ;)

connect_icut

Have you heard any of the songs where he sings? Not sure how I feel about it. He has this really shaky, nasal soul croon. Plus the lyrics are completely different when he sings - much more vulnerable.

So, has the new album leaked? I haven't been able to find it. Obviously, I'll get the vinyl when it comes out but I'm not sure I can wait.

Oh and does anyone know where I can listen to SPECTRE? I love "Double Diamond" but haven't been able to track down the rest.

A musical act whose stuff is genuinely hard to find. In this day and age!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timewriter

I don't know if it's leaked and haven't heard him singing yet. It's not a thought I relish.
Thankfully, he doesn't on E & D which, by the way, ditches samples for drum and bass (no, not that kind), some guitar. Minimal, upfront, powerful backing.

wise

bare BARE BONES
the singing's a bit weird, I prefer the sampled loop stuff to real instruments

No-show at the Prince Albert on Saturday, some "old demons" caught up with the singer Jason in the time between the London gig on Friday and the one in Brighton next day. New LP out today, i hear it's good.

connect_icut

On first listen, the new album is a bit of a let-down. Seems like "Tied up in Nottz" and "Tiswas" are waaay better than anything else on it. Still, pretty hard to follow up Austerity Dogs, which I consider pretty-much flawless. I'll keep listening.

Dread to think what caused Jason to miss that show the other night.

DannyL

Wild Horses
They were amazing live, Friday night. He gives it all he's got. He didn't seem to extemporise around the lyrics at all, or even chat to the crowd, so I wondered if he was hyper-tense, wound up, even uneasy with the success and adulation they're getting. I thought I could detect some kind of tension.

They were amazing live, Friday night. He gives it all he's got. He didn't seem to extemporise around the lyrics at all, or even chat to the crowd, so I wondered if he was hyper-tense, wound up, even uneasy with the success and adulation they're getting. I thought I could detect some kind of tension.

Here follows a review of a non-event. The crowd of 50 or 60 upstairs at the Prince Albert had to endure the jingle-jangle Iggy Alcopop of Mark Wynn before the manager of the venue hopped on the stage to announce some bad news - Sleaford Mods were "missing in action in South London" and that "it's all over", but that we could use our tickets for a future date. The crowd seemed disappointed but fairly relaxed about this development, almost as if we didn't quite believe we were about to see them anyway - i.e. no evidence of them in the pub, apart from the table with a few 7" and LPs outside.

So, without missing a beat another fella jumped on stage and began an impromptu slam poetry performance, i think along the lines of being an ex-stockbroker who'd moved to Brighton to get real. He wasn't as good as Sleaford Mods, sadly, but you have to give him credit for seizing the moment.

I'm not sure about it, but the hollow-cheeked fella Sleaford, Andrew, might have turned up later to perform to the best of his ability ("Fizzy" three times). That's what Twitter indicated.

Weird night but I've been more disappointed by far worse bands who actually turned up. i don't hold out much hope of ever seeing them now.

Last edited: