Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sleaford Mods

Have you heard any of the songs where he sings? Not sure how I feel about it. He has this really shaky, nasal soul croon. Plus the lyrics are completely different when he sings - much more vulnerable.

So, has the new album leaked? I haven't been able to find it. Obviously, I'll get the vinyl when it comes out but I'm not sure I can wait.

Oh and does anyone know where I can listen to SPECTRE? I love "Double Diamond" but haven't been able to track down the rest.

A musical act whose stuff is genuinely hard to find. In this day and age!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if it's leaked and haven't heard him singing yet. It's not a thought I relish.
    Thankfully, he doesn't on E & D which, by the way, ditches samples for drum and bass (no, not that kind), some guitar. Minimal, upfront, powerful backing.

the singing's a bit weird, I prefer the sampled loop stuff to real instruments

Brilliant video of the Mods performing in their front room, including a really, really great new song. Via the NME, of all places.

http://www.nme.com/nme-video/sleafor.../3467659651001

Quote Originally Posted by connect_icut View Post
    Brilliant video of the Mods performing in their front room, including a really, really great new song. Via the NME, of all places.

http://www.nme.com/nme-video/sleafor.../3467659651001
    "the meteor sinks its teeth in the ground" is a meaty line, delivered like that. Plus the best way anyone's sung "anarchisssst" in about 37 years.
    Last edited by HMGovt; 18-04-2014 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by connect_icut View Post
    Via the NME, of all places.
    And on the front page of Mojo of all places http://www.mojo4music.com/ (Which I ended up at by accident. Seriously.)

No-show at the Prince Albert on Saturday, some "old demons" caught up with the singer Jason in the time between the London gig on Friday and the one in Brighton next day. New LP out today, i hear it's good.

On first listen, the new album is a bit of a let-down. Seems like "Tied up in Nottz" and "Tiswas" are waaay better than anything else on it. Still, pretty hard to follow up Austerity Dogs, which I consider pretty-much flawless. I'll keep listening.

Dread to think what caused Jason to miss that show the other night.

They were amazing live, Friday night. He gives it all he's got. He didn't seem to extemporise around the lyrics at all, or even chat to the crowd, so I wondered if he was hyper-tense, wound up, even uneasy with the success and adulation they're getting. I thought I could detect some kind of tension.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    They were amazing live, Friday night. He gives it all he's got. He didn't seem to extemporise around the lyrics at all, or even chat to the crowd, so I wondered if he was hyper-tense, wound up, even uneasy with the success and adulation they're getting. I thought I could detect some kind of tension.
    Here follows a review of a non-event. The crowd of 50 or 60 upstairs at the Prince Albert had to endure the jingle-jangle Iggy Alcopop of Mark Wynn before the manager of the venue hopped on the stage to announce some bad news - Sleaford Mods were "missing in action in South London" and that "it's all over", but that we could use our tickets for a future date. The crowd seemed disappointed but fairly relaxed about this development, almost as if we didn't quite believe we were about to see them anyway - i.e. no evidence of them in the pub, apart from the table with a few 7" and LPs outside.

So, without missing a beat another fella jumped on stage and began an impromptu slam poetry performance, i think along the lines of being an ex-stockbroker who'd moved to Brighton to get real. He wasn't as good as Sleaford Mods, sadly, but you have to give him credit for seizing the moment.

I'm not sure about it, but the hollow-cheeked fella Sleaford, Andrew, might have turned up later to perform to the best of his ability ("Fizzy" three times). That's what Twitter indicated.

Weird night but I've been more disappointed by far worse bands who actually turned up. i don't hold out much hope of ever seeing them now.
    Last edited by HMGovt; 29-04-2014 at 09:40 AM.

There's some footage of Andrew Fearn performing on Saturday at the bottom of this page: http://www.nme.com/news/sleaford-mod...paign=sleaford

I think the dude who jumped up was Attila the Stockbroker, a performance poet and Peel fave from the 80s?

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    There's some footage of Andrew Fearn performing on Saturday at the bottom of this page: http://www.nme.com/news/sleaford-mod...paign=sleaford

I think the dude who jumped up was Attila the Stockbroker, a performance poet and Peel fave from the 80s?
    Yes, that's him. Had never heard of him but he didn't hang about leaping up onto the stage, into the breach...

Still a bit disappointed with the new album. I get that they're going for something a bit more raw and gritty than the extremely focused Austerity Dogs but some of it just seems a bit half-arsed. The best bits are as good as anything they've done but it doesn't quite hang together as an album.

Is there an element of self-sabotage here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keep with it

Quote Originally Posted by bandshell View Post
    I'm at this stage atm. Sounds like Pitman if he fronted one of Jez's bands in Peep Show.
    Actually, there is a bit of a Jez/Super Hans vibe to Chubbed Up and Divide & Exit! At least on first listen. But honestly, there's a deep musical intelligence at work here. Just to pick an example, "Double Diamond" has some of the best lyric writing I've heard in years in any genre. I think my problem with Divide & Exit is that it doesn't have anything as expansive and complex as that or the best tracks on Austerity Dogs. But it's a deliberately scruffy and claustrophobic album, so that's kinda the point. Basically, Divide & Exit is the Ghettoville to Austerity Dogs' RIP. It's a in-you-face bum trip.