Sleaford Mods

connect_icut

Anyone else a fan? At first I thought it was the worst thing I'd ever heard. But I kept wanting to hear it again. Now I think it's genius. Bits of The Fall, John Cooper Clarke, The Streets, Half Man Half Biscuit and - weirdest of all - Le Tigre.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
some bits are really brilliant, really, really brilliant. they dunarf go on a bit tho, and some of the choruses are fufu but they get a win for "donkey" alone, best sampling of an animal since Missy Elliott's elephant.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
That's definitely a thread-in-waiting. Cypress hill and morrissey, together at last.

Sleaford mods are pretty good an' all. Im waiting for the krautrock-style remixes.

Judging from the youtube videos I've seen the perfomance job in the band of the guy with the hat seems to be: head nodding beer drinking.:D

matt b

Indexing all opinion
They were utterly brilliant last night.

1. Amazingly, given the high swear count in the songs themselves, extra off-mic swear words were added.

2. In addition to drinking about 3 cans of lager, Andrew Fearn also checked his texts and took a photo.

3. Audience sing-a-longs (Job Seeker- now an anthem)

4. They're a complex proposition.

5. My wife's new favourite band! She was visibly shocked by how good they were.

6. Fuck off. Cunt.

Last edited:

connect_icut

Also loved this review. Points 4 and 6 alone trump K-Punk's entire Wire piece (I don't disagree with anything he says "but it's all so fucking boring").

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also loved this review. Points 4 and 6 alone trump K-Punk's entire Wire piece (I don't disagree with anything he says "but it's all so fucking boring").

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's showing what can be done by standing up and saying stuff bluntly then pulling faces and staring. As someone who spent time on top decks of buses in Nottingham as a kid, I can honestly say there was so much gobby fuckery about this had to happen.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
sometime dissensus person Phil Blackpool wrote a pretty thorough exegesis of the Mods here

in addition to points of reference mentioned here he also includes things like: the Beats, Terry Callier, Sex Pistols, Crass (MC does come across a bit northern Steve Ignorant), Sham 69, IAN DURY, Exploited, Happy Mondays and Petshop Boys (in the singer + underemployed looking musician model) as well as (early) the Streets and, like Mike Skinner, Wu Tang. personally it makes me think The Streets (but bitter rather than melancholy) via Wu x Ian Dury x (It's Grim Up) North x the various UK youth tribes ca. 77-85 or so x the saltiness of encroaching middle age. but yeah bit of a complicated proposition.

this is my favorite. aside from the general brilliance of sampling Road Runner's proto-motorik, he just sounds so freaking exasperated by it all.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qlVj1BXRTzg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
undoubtedly my favorite Sleaford Mods lyric is

"the fookin ills ave eyes"

cult 70s indie horror retransmuted into like, Danelaw Shakespeare

connect_icut

These two videos are amazing and say a lot about the band's appeal, I think. You have to watch each to the end to really get it. That look on his face at the end of the "Donkey" vid... what does that say to you?