Boring

woops

is not like other people
Always thought this was the worst subforum, talking politics just leads to embarrassing scenes and rudeness, that's why I stay out of it really.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I keep seeing that article being linked to wherever I look. It may or may not be the age of anxiety but it's certaintly the age of the article about the age of anxiety. I need to read it before I can offer something more constructive but anecdotally I have recently heard a few of my friends saying that they often find themselves feeling a heavy but unexplained sense of anxiety. I'm guessing that's kinda relevant to what we're talking about. I hope so at least.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
It's good, although the very language it uses - "need" "need" - is the language of anxiety, which I think is problematic. And the 7th point : "A new style of precarity-focused consciousness raising is needed" doesn't actually say anything other than we need to talk about it, man. If you're gonna produce a manifesto then at least either say you don't have solutions or give definite ones, rather than "we need to share our problems in a safe space."

john eden

male pale and stale
It's good, although the very language it uses - "need" "need" - is the language of anxiety, which I think is problematic. And the 7th point : "A new style of precarity-focused consciousness raising is needed" doesn't actually say anything other than we need to talk about it, man. If you're gonna produce a manifesto then at least either say you don't have solutions or give definite ones, rather than "we need to share our problems in a safe space."

Yeah I agree. I also think it is too slanted towards activists, which I think is the wrong way to go - too insular.

There's a risk of turning into social services for activists rather than trying to reduce anxiety in wider society.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Yeah I agree. I also think it is too slanted towards activists, which I think is the wrong way to go - too insular.

There's a risk of turning into social services for activists rather than trying to reduce anxiety in wider society.

I kinda ignored it, it doesn't do anything. I don't agree with them either, it's just polemic. Reads like the Guerilla Girls.

But my politics moved way beyond what they're saying a long time ago I think.

slowtrain

I keep seeing that article being linked to wherever I look. It may or may not be the age of anxiety but it's certaintly the age of the article about the age of anxiety. I need to read it before I can offer something more constructive but anecdotally I have recently heard a few of my friends saying that they often find themselves feeling a heavy but unexplained sense of anxiety. I'm guessing that's kinda relevant to what we're talking about. I hope so at least.

We definitely live in "the age of the thinkpiece" - can't remember the last time a celebrity did a thing without a "serious" "thinkpiece" written about it