Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SeaPunk / Chillwave / Nu gaze / Glo-Fi / Molly Pop / Witch Trap / Special Characters

Seapunk is the best genre name but I don't know what it actually sounds like

The last year or so every "hip" person Iv'e met seem only interested in listening to and making 70's progressive rock music. As far as I can tell it has no value at all beyond the nostalgic, a young movement no longer interested in creating culture, now only replicating, and replicating the very culture their own parents once found revolutionary.

And this is not what we was promised. We was promised a culture increasing exponentially, where everyone turned from consumer to producer to product, where everyone has their five minutes, five seconds, where genres lasts a week, a day, disappear simultaneously with their creation. A multicultural chaos where the cultural circle is reduced to a point, where popularity and cultural value become meaningless concepts. Where the very idea of a cultural history and a cultural future would become meaningless, everything becoming part of a transmuting now.

But that cultural paradigm shift never came, or it has not yet. But if the SeaPunk / Chillwave / Nu gaze / Glo-Fi / Molly Pop / Witch Trap / Special Characters is not part of that promised future, at least I hope they could be interpreted as trying to reach or emulate it. As producers willfully taking part in a change in how we view the creation of musical trends and how we give them value.

That said I am still looking forward to the future Burgess prophesized in 1962, where the annoying pop music of the moment is in shape of musique concret.

Default witch trap

http://soundcloud.com/jawsofdarkness/tracks

some one else will be more able than me to recommend some good seapunk

^ good stuff.

i think the sounds / aesthetics we're addressing here indeed have more weight and will prove to have longer lasting signficance than meets the eye.

for one thing "it" has already infected much in both pop as well as underground dance music circles.

There is a ton of new post-everything bass music that is for sure influenced by "it".

for instance this dude from NYC lotic who been doing a series of parties in Berlin called Janus, loosely associated with Venus X, Fatima too i think. (apparently it's coming to an end as the last party i just saw posts about on fb)

https://soundcloud.com/lotic/fractures

Like i said, there is a ton of electronic and bass music in sorta this vein being produced and coming out...

at first i couldn't be more averse to the heavily treated R'n'B vocals and bright pop keys... but i don't know. maybe some of it already doesn't sound as bad as it did at first.

Not sure if this counts but I like it..

http://www.mixcloud.com/ThisIsNTWRK/...-feelings-mix/

Quote Originally Posted by woops View Post
    http://soundcloud.com/jawsofdarkness/tracks

some one else will be more able than me to recommend some good seapunk
    Goth chillout music? So is that Witch Trap then? This isn't Seapunk? Or is Seapunk goth chillout music?

for the record, i totally made up "witch trap" on the fly when i made this thread lol

8. The Following User Says Thank You to zhao For This Useful Post:

Seapunk was famously a twitter post before it was an actual genre, which is why nobody has any idea what it is after it's been around for three years.

Good thread. Fatima's stuff is among the most pleasing things I heard recently.

Gonna check out Ayshay.

so is witch trap sea punk?

none of it is actually anything particular.

most of the #tags are done as jokes and #trolls.

someone in my hometown booked the #seapunk kids when they were at their peak of fake stardom and they were horrible. it was mostly really shittty sounding progression era bukem jungle but i dont think they new anything about it and just happened to be making something similar (and thought they were onto something new, which is the best part.) but idk i didn't talk to them because they seemed like the "art school dropout" kids that are great at making big claims but their products are devoid of actual talent.

i like the fatima album on hyperdub though it more or less just sounded like an interesting extension of old grime (or sinogrime), dressed up in unnecessary art school theory.

I didn't hear the Hyperdub album yet. Is it out already?

I only heard her EP's. Desert Strike is really good. Sure, you can consider it dressed nice grime (good production, etc.) , but at the same time there is more to it. Dunno, it just works for me.

It hasn't been released yet, but there are promos going around.