Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SeaPunk / Chillwave / Nu gaze / Glo-Fi / Molly Pop / Witch Trap / Special Characters

ayshay mix from a few years ago.
    http://www.factmag.com/2011/12/05/fact-mix-307-ayshay/

the "warn-u" ep under that name is different from her FA-Q stuff, mostly just her voice manipulated in an "arabic atmospherica" stylee (http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...ew-band-ayshay)
    Last edited by Leo; 29-04-2014 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trillhouse View Post
    It hasn't been released yet, but there are promos going around.
    Is everybody a music journalist on this forum or something?

Edit: nevermind, see that it has already leaked since a month or so.
    Last edited by yyaldrin; 29-04-2014 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post

ayshay mix from a few years ago.
    http://www.factmag.com/2011/12/05/fact-mix-307-ayshay/

the "warn-u" ep under that name is different from her FA-Q stuff, mostly just her voice manipulated in an "arabic atmospherica" stylee (http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...ew-band-ayshay)
    That Ayshay mix is one of my favorite Fact mixes I think.

I definitely think Fatima has a little more going on than most of the others in this thread's loose collective. But then i really liked Desert Strike. Not sure about her music as art projects tbh, they are interesting though.

Quote Originally Posted by Trillhouse View Post
    I definitely think Fatima has a little more going on than most of the others in this thread's loose collective. But then i really liked Desert Strike. Not sure about her music as art projects tbh, they are interesting though.

maybe she's covering her face because she's not actually singing live and it's all on tape.

Quote Originally Posted by mistersloane View Post
    so is witch trap sea punk?
    it's related but not really.

more of a moodier, more emo and art school version of thug trance.

Is this the thread to talk about kawaii-influenced stuff? Not something I know much about admittedly, but I've seen references to kawaii and Japan cropping up for a little while and now I discover that possibly "2014 is going to be a year of cuteness in the online underground" - http://www.electronicbeats.net/en/fe...on-cuter-love/

I wonder how much of this is rooted in 90s nostalgia? Obviously kawaii is an enduring thing and its presence is still very much felt, but a lot of the references seem to be rooted in that decade (just look at the profile picture here), and it was probably then that Japan exerted a greater influence on Western pop culture. The people making this stuff are, I'm guessing, the right age to have grown up with that.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfaucet View Post
    Is this the thread to talk about kawaii-influenced stuff? Not something I know much about admittedly, but I've seen references to kawaii and Japan cropping up for a little while and now I discover that possibly "2014 is going to be a year of cuteness in the online underground" - http://www.electronicbeats.net/en/fe...on-cuter-love/

I wonder how much of this is rooted in 90s nostalgia? Obviously kawaii is an enduring thing and its presence is still very much felt, but a lot of the references seem to be rooted in that decade (just look at the profile picture here), and it was probably then that Japan exerted a greater influence on Western pop culture. The people making this stuff are, I'm guessing, the right age to have grown up with that.
    Unfortunate that that article doesn't seem to have gone beyond the image of Kyary into the indefatigable denseness of her music - which is the point. Her image belies a musical brilliance and complexity, which isn't the same as hardcore infantilism.

Quote Originally Posted by sufi View Post
    wow that's my day gone. thank you sufi, that's brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by sufi View Post
    This is hilarious. Especially that it got published.

Quote Originally Posted by m99188868 View Post
    This is hilarious. Especially that it got published.
    & that it cites us!

Dunno if this is the right thread, but anyone following the whole PC Music thing? Sherburne seems to like it. Any dissenting opinions?

For me, it's very much a guilty pleasure. In the sense that it makes me want to listen to things I usually don't want anything to with. If that makes sense. It works really good in this synth-laden mixes like Paradinas recently did for XL8R.

I didn't really like it but now I like it a lot. Alex is actually an old friend of mine, I can confirm that there's nothing ironic or cynical about it. He's making the music he genuinely loves, and he has a sense of humour. I would love to see it played at raves with crowds of people off their tits on MDMA, but for the time being I can unfortunately only see it being played in fairly tame environments.

I like it better than most of the stuff that's affiliated with the genres in this thread title.