SeaPunk / Chillwave / Nu gaze / Glo-Fi / Molly Pop / Witch Trap / Special Characters

CrowleyHead

That's not bad.

Also, I took forever to listen to this Fatima al-Qadiri album, AND WOW IS IT SHIT. Hyperdub are just turning out pure rubbish unless it's juke these days.

NATO

Why do you think that? I've not listened to it much but wasn't particularly grabbed by it. One tune I quite like is Szechuan, but even that feels like a good idea imperfectly executed.

Hyperdub has long stopped being a vital label.

CrowleyHead

But those atmospheres and textures are all ones she did on her early EPs. There's no progression present and like... I like a few tracks, but I generally sometimes check the tracklist while listening to it the few times I'd try, and it'd be almost over by the time I hear a standout track!

Numbers

I have to say I didn't like Asiatisch neither. I blame Kode9. Her other, earlier work is really good.

I am also liking a lot the stuff she puts out with Nzuguzungu (more or less) as Future Brown.

Numbers

Dunno, I am so far removed from scenes, clubs, etc. that hipness really does not bother me at all. But I can see how it can annoy quickly when confronted with it.

NATO

I have such mixed feelings about that group. The production's usually good but it's so hamfistedly "HIP" sometimes.

I often feel statements like this say more about you than the subject. If you like it you like it, all other considerations are largely a waste of time.

CrowleyHead

I often feel statements like this say more about you than the subject. If you like it you like it, all other considerations are largely a waste of time.

It's incredibly easy to like something or dislike something. I like rice. But there isn't a lot of thought going into rice growing now is it?

rubberdingyrapids

the asiatisch album was pretty dodgy with its chinese concept (its a fine line between outlining western stereotypes of chinese culture and reinforcing those stereotypes - there was no real critique of those stereotypes outside of the clever cultural theory press blurb about it) but there was some interesting stuff going on sonics/textures wise. hyperdub is patchy these days and it could do with relaxing that same old aesthetic you hear over most of their stuff (you pretty much know what sort of mood its going for every time), but they still put out good stuff. some of that new cooly g album is really good, jessy lanza was great. the teklife stuff is cool, but i prefer the albums they put out on their own to double cup.

Numbers

Could this count as proto-grey/metal&glass/hyper-digital?

I notice semi-fast hi-hats, metal/glass-references and texture and quite a present bassline. Somebody should do a refix.

CrowleyHead

goth money records "trillwave" who wants to fully hip me on this shit

I feel like Black Kray is a dillution of the Raider Klan sound into a more purposefully abstracted take (v. similar is NYC's Little Pain or Lil' Pain or *yawns into a coffin*). These guys exist in a very similar dimension to Yung Lean.

The actual trillwave was a fake label for the Rocky sound, which is essentially one part Bay Area post-hyphy's experimental fringe (Main Attrakionz, Lil' B) one part SpaceGhostPurrp's spacier takes on 90s gangster rap tropes, and one part G-Side's whole 'dramatic beats to overwhelm the terrible rapping'. Now its still the same but even more and more devoid of character.

trilliam

I feel like Black Kray is a dillution of the Raider Klan sound into a more purposefully abstracted take (v. similar is NYC's Little Pain or Lil' Pain or *yawns into a coffin*). These guys exist in a very similar dimension to Yung Lean.

The actual trillwave was a fake label for the Rocky sound, which is essentially one part Bay Area post-hyphy's experimental fringe (Main Attrakionz, Lil' B) one part SpaceGhostPurrp's spacier takes on 90s gangster rap tropes, and one part G-Side's whole 'dramatic beats to overwhelm the terrible rapping'. Now its still the same but even more and more devoid of character.

was waitin for u to drop the deets fam

some of these producers r fucking talented though man, i dont rate the rappers just more lil b/chief keef mumbling and fantasy gangster lyrics, whatever. but the beats r absolute fire

ended up subscribing to a couple accounts on youtube (shroom head, trillphonik) and found some stuff i can vibe to

steezyasfvck - 1995,
spaceghostpurp - black money world
night lovell - concept vague

main attrackionz had a couple bangers iirc, raider klan i never paid no attention to really, in fact a few months ago id be totally against this aesthetic/type of rap (hipster orientated, white n nerdy) but man i NEED instrumentals to all that goth money shit

fully c/s "dramatic beats to overwhelm the terrible rapping"

cant help but feel theres rappers out there more deserving of these gems

Numbers

You surely noticed, but some tracks on Concept Vague are produced by bine☃. He's really someone to watch. THINGS WILL BE BETTER FROM NOW ON has some real gems.