SeaPunk / Chillwave / Nu gaze / Glo-Fi / Molly Pop / Witch Trap / Special Characters

NOAT

This stuff is really interesting. I've enjoyed reading through a couple of Adam Harper pieces this week, including the piece on Epic Collage sounds (Total Freedom etc) from earlier in the year. He writes well enough and with enough passion to provide a great complement to the tunes. Were his word not there I may have just glossed over it all - good work.

said

This stuff is really interesting. I've enjoyed reading through a couple of Adam Harper pieces this week, including the piece on Epic Collage sounds (Total Freedom etc) from earlier in the year. He writes well enough and with enough passion to provide a great complement to the tunes. Were his word not there I may have just glossed over it all - good work.

I think the above resident advisor piece is one of the less good things I've read by Harper, but he is definitely the best writer covering this pocket of modern music, and tbh, electronic music in general at the moment - if only because it's great to read someone writing about electronic music who is actually willing to treat subcultures as important and interesting, and willing to theorize about them. It's something which seems like it's being sniffed at more and more, or at least neglected... I can't really think of another writer who I've read recently trying to ask similar questions...

rubberdingyrapids

totally behind on this stuff but belatedly am on first listen, very into the first ultrademon album. the new one is a bit tempered and moderate but the first one is bouncing with ideas and strong melodies and a weird submerged at the bottom of the ocean feel to it at times. reminds me a bit of rustie. and its weird that despite the apparently jokey context, the music isnt actually that gimmicky.

luka

funny innit,everyone uses the internet but the internet is still a paralell universe with no overlap with real life.

luka

the interenet as a bubble but also interent people have a sealed off masturbatory bubble otaku thing too. tumblr was well compelling when it came out for that... gave me a well weird feeling.

luka

the successful 90s sitcome ''friends' used to make me feel like that. i stopped watching tv cos of friends and that weird empty feeling i got afterwards

luka

its an interesting feeling. i like that interent music makes you feel like that. it should make you feel like that. its the right aesthetic choice