Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Nationalism, immigration and racism in the EU

The Catalonian government is actually quite conservative & neo-liberal & there is a significant element of nativism in Catalonian separatism.

Just got back from two weeks there actually. Down near Tarragona for the vote and was in BCN for the general strike & protest march.

What's Catalonia like compared to the rest of Spain, in terms of its economy? Relatively more affluent, or less?

Somewhat more, overall. AIUI this isn't the main driver for the independence movement, but it's not irrelevant.

Barcelonians have easily the worst hair in the world. Like, terrible even by general Spanish standards. This has to figure into it somehow.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Slightly higher average income, 20% of Spanish GDP, 1/4 of all Spanish investment.

Barcelona sits somewhere between Milan and Paris in terms of architecture/pop density/wealth. Clearly a well off city, but has its share of squalor.

I've spent a few months to the north the Costa Brava and the wealth seems more evident up there. Perfectly preserved, unspoilt well turned out towns, neat fields, exemplary roads. More akin to Northern Italy than anywhere else in Spain.

My mate who's lived over there for years says that Catalonians are more industrious and get a lot more shit done than the rest of Spain.

What was striking about the demo on Tuesday was the youth of the protestors. Id say the average age was early-mid 20's. Extremely peaceful. Little or no radical presence from what I could see, just tons of kids draped in flags, smoking weed & drinking beer.

In contrast...

Hooray, Austrian voters are to a great extent stupid. They elected a charlatan who out-xenophobe'd the traditional Austrian xenophobes from the Freedom party, despite the fact that this person - Mr. Kurz - was minister for immigration for the last fucking 6 years!!! - and deflected the voting public from his puppet masters, the national chamber of commerce/Austrian industrial association (who, not surprisingly, are already grinding the axe for further social security cuts), the same chamber of commerce which pumped endless money to the tabloids/private TV to beat the propagandadrum for the "new conservative movement" of Mr. Kurz, formerly known as Austrian's people's party (somehwhat comparable with UK's Tories).

The stupidity of voters the last few years throughout the western world is astounding.
    Last edited by firefinga; 16-10-2017 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by firefinga View Post
    Hooray, Austrian voters are to a great extent stupid. They elected a charlatan who out-xenophobe'd the traditional Austrian xenophobes from the Freedom party, despite the fact that this person - Mr. Kurz - was minister for immigration for the last fucking 6 years!!! - and deflected the voting public from his puppet masters, the national chamber of commerce/Austrian industrial association (who, not surprisingly, are already grinding the axe for further social security cuts), the same chamber of commerce which pumped endless money to the tabloids/private TV to beat the propagandadrum for the "new conservative movement" of Mr. Kurz, formerly known as Austrian's people's party (somehwhat comparable with UK's Tories).

The stupidity of voters the last few years throughout the western world is astounding.
    We had the electoral register knocking on the door yesterday.
    "Is that democracy knocking?"
    "Tell em we got plenty already"

Not Europe, but it's all kicking off now in Kirkuk after the Kurdish independence vote a few weeks ago.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you