Rinse FM Pop music.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Oh and I'll check his stuff out. I suppose his looks don't matter really and shouldn't, in fact. Physical looks and skill made Chris Brown rich, after all.

Benny Bunter

at the risk of ruining one of my current fave tunes further with hideous associations, i must admit to catching a slight whiff of rick astley from ´touch´

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
This Shift K3Y guy's stuff sounds great. How TF are these bedroom producers getting such a good sound these days? I must be a complete cloth ears lol

trilliam

tbh i use ilx much more than dissensus these days, apart from the deep tech thread which is clearly superior in terms of knowledge than the ilx one (and which would be nothing really without trilliam lets face it)

for anything pop, rap, rnb related ilx is the one, as long as you´re willing to wade through
a lot of crap.

safe for the shout out brah

its crazy how i spoke about this exact sentiment in a recent review last week

kinda wishing it werent unpublished so i could totally stunt on simon reynolds blogging

about it thus making it a real thing

trilliam

anyway i can be far less impartial n more colourful or what have u on here so random thoughts

why is it that being pop or at least qualifying for the tag makes this stuff instantly disposable

it's not like this trend is the work of the government or some evil greysuit record label
trying to boost national pride during the world cup by brainwashing us with catchy british jingles or whatever

it's clearly organic, there's a clear build up to this current climate in which you can see it isn't a money motivated fad (even if it may end up becoming one) and clearly the charts and radio are better for it so why the hate?

kids coming up with a formula that any exec/radio dj would wanna co-sign doesn't make it soulless/vapid and the idea of there being a formula doesn't make it pastiche when most music is built on some kind of formula/framework in one way or another

when you consider that ten years ago you couldn't escape guitars and all that landfill indie stuff was at its height u'd think people would be grateful that dance music is now supplanting it (uk wise, the rise of electronic music overseas and cross genres is well known these times) or at least providing a nice alternative to its total dominance in our mainstream music

and providing some belters while doing it

trilliam

on the other hand being that this is so POP i dont think it deserves any major critical analysis beyond ratings on a 1 to 5 star scale

conflicting ye but thats the nature of music, eitherway i do find the discussion of how things came to be this way engaging so more blocks of text please

rubberdingyrapids

An odd thought, that in order to escape the shackles of the past it might be that the yoof have to discard the futurist aims/pretensions of an older generation.

yeah, its funny that pissing off older people is now done by sounding like the music your mum danced to. at least on here anyway. heritage house also seems a bit of an own goal in the wider scheme of things. this stuff has all the energy youth driven pop is meant to have, but not really the fearlessness. not that i blame them...

this sort of thing used to be considered "selling out", now it's an ingenious amalgam of proper dance signifiers melded seamlessly into the pop context, LOL!

i like this stuff in a throwaway kind of sense. its fun pop, im glad theres something happening, im glad people are writing better songs than they were in the uk funky era, but little of it seems to have any real weight to it (and i dont mean in the dubstep sense). it all sounds like its got a kind of inbuilt disposability (yes all pop has that, but there has to be a healthy ratio of disposability vs durability). was funny watching disclosure on glastonbury - their songs are really well put together but so boringly safe and familiar and tasteful. aluna is such an amazing performer though - her and ella eyre. and theyre both better than katy b.

anyway, i think this stuff is ruined by analysis - you either go with it or reject it. it demands an either/or reaction. anything in between is pointless.

i love that preditah remix of all about she but i think thats just cos it makes me think of old grime/dark garage remixes like exemen etc. i think there comes a moment in every man's life when he has to concede defeat to feeling part of modern pop music....

Last edited:

continuum

smugpolice
was funny watching disclosure on glastonbury - their songs are really well put together but so boringly safe and familiar and tasteful.

Kinda true. There is at least one slightly off the wall track from around this time last year which peaked at 9 in the UK charts:

But it's not quite the same as the following which peaked at number 3 in 1991:

rubberdingyrapids

i did like that breach track as a chicago throwback, but yeah, that altern 8 track just sounds BONKERS lol. breach meanwhile sounds like a very knowing tribute to an older, bygone era.

datwun

I think it depends on the angle you're coming at it from. As far as radio pop on concerned, it's a great improvement to how things have been the last couple of years. As far as the Grand History of UK dance music goes it's very uninspiring in its total, shameless lack of Utopianism, it's utter conformist comfort with music never doing anything new again.

Again, I repeat myself but it seems that people are forgetting that this isn't just a revival, but a revival of a revival, there was a very very similar house take over of pop in the early 2000s with Basment Jaxx, Grove Armada, Superman Lovers, Sophie Elle's Bextor, Madison Avinue etc etc

Also I'm probably bitter that this stuff is topping the charts while You Want Me didn't lol

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Reynolds weighs in.

With the plethora of home studios and soft synths available to the yoof of today, you'd be forgiven for expecting radically new sounds to be being created every minute of the day. Maybe this is happening? I suppose the wobble sound of dubstep COULD have been created in the 1990's but they weren't. But what Luka is saying in this thread (as far as I can tell) is that there should be no obligation for young producers to create new sounds when there are plenty of brilliant sounds already available to them that were created in the last twenty-thirty years.

In rap music, which I've been paying more attention to that dance music in the last few years, there's plenty of copycat producers and arguably trendsetters like DJ Mustard are just rehashing old sounds. However, there is a fair amount of innovation going on, powered by competition between producers to mark themselves out from the crowd. Is this happening in British dance music at the moment? Perhaps this stuff isn't where to look, because after all its essentially pop music, but the object of it all does seem to be to take established tropes from other dance music subgenres and combine them in the smoothest, silkiest manner possible.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
btw, Datwun, did "Coke Diet" ever do any business in the charts? I suppose the vocal might have precluded it from daytime playlists, seems like exactly the sort of cheeky wobbler that might have done Mr Oizo numbers.

Amazing track, anyway, have seen it absolutely destroy dancefloors.

craner

Beast of Burden
Kool is still there pumping our drum & bass.

Live FM, although I'm not even sure if this goes out on FM, I only ever listened to it online in 2009/10.