What's your favourite album from the 70s?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Wot, no Stooges? Not that my favourite album would necessarily be by them, just seems an odd omission from a 100-best-albums-of-the-70s list.

Edit: pleased to see they picked the correct Sabbath album, however.

Trillhouse

I got the impression that the numbering in those Fact 100 lists is kinda arbitrary. It’s more a list of the 100 best records from the 70s that some may have missed, cause it pretty much ignores cannon favourites for more recently hyped records and hipster favourites. Not that that's a bad thing, most Fact readers wouldn't want a Mojo style top 100 list.

A few obvious ones they left off; Bryter layter, What's going on, Solid Air, Fun House, Unknown Pleasures, Live and Dangerous, Ramones, There's a riot going on,

It’s impossible to pick one favourite imho.

Some more personal picks not on their list;
Terry Callier - What color is love
Eugene McDaniel - Headless Heroes of the Apocalypse
Cymande - st
Doris - did you get the world some love today
Comus - first utterance
These trails ST
Foster Silvers ST
Michael Jackson - Off the wall
Fela and Africa 70 (maybe they’re more extended singles than lps but they all pretty fucking great)
Mulato of Ethiopia
Jorge Lopez Ruiz 5 - de prepo
Emilio Santiago st
Dennis Brown - wolf and leopards
Carlton and the shoes love me for ever
50 foot Hose - Cauldron
Bullet - the hanged man OST
Junior Murvin - Police & Thieves
Cedric Im Brooks - The Light Of Saba
Keith Hudson - Flesh Of My Skin, Blood Of My Blood
Burning Spear - Marcus Garvey
The Heptones - Party Time

Benny Bunter

knocked this up in about 15 mins cos i was bored. impossible to choose one, but i usually say tago mago. nothing too obscure, just the stuff i keep coming back to

top 50 in no particular order, one lp per artist

funhouse - coolest guitar sound and most deranged vocals ever. MC5? don´t make me laugh
cut - practically created its own musical language. unrepeatable one-off (though odyshape kinda comes close). The pop group? don´t make me laugh
tonights the night - difficult to pick one ny album though
metal box - not a huge pistols fan tbh. loved this instantly
solid air - just pips inside out
tago mago - that first side is incredible, best music ever
marquee moon - pristine guitars
low - again difficult to pick one bowie, but this certainly the best of the berlin period
dragnet - probably the most difficult album on this list. sinister and confusing
another green world - just pips taking tiger mountain. love all those 70s eno albums
roxy music - very ambitious debut
grievous angel - the killers being the hearts on fire duet and of course $1000 wedding
bitches brew - just pips on the corner cos its more varied. took a while to get into this
heart of the congos - warm fuzzy bliss
brown rice - not many could touch 70s miles but this comes close
blue - only when i´m in the mood for it though
the ramones - loveable
the clash - don´t really like any of the other clash stuff much but this rocks. london calling? don´t make me laugh
damned damned damned - balls out punk that rivals the stooges at their best
suicide - johnny teardrop frightens the life out of me
talking book - i even like the corny ballads on this
maggot brain - heavy funk rock. later funkadelic even better but only really know compilations.
theres a riot going on - more druggy funk rock
LA woman - my fave doors album. title track is pure motorik driving music
transformer - narrowly pips berlin, also standing in for ziggy stardust. the production is just the best
the idiot - bowie/visconti again
exile on main st. - maybe a bit dated now though
the inner mounting flame - more john mclaughlin!
blood on the tracks - not my fave dylan but one of them. tangled up in blue and idiot wind are pure fire
la leyenda del tiempo - token camarón de isla pick
journey in satchidananda - truly cosmic. most accessible of coltrane´s stuff
remain in light - more eno!
two sevens clash - don´t know that many reggae albums to be honest but no one can fault this
unknown pleasures - kinda gone off joy division a bit but used to play this a lot
rumours - dreams might be my fave song of all time
rock bottom - very moving, especially when you know the backstory.
stormcock - loooong songs that hold your attention
suspira - the main theme often gets stuck in my head
naturally - chugs along nice and lazily
electric warrior - visconti again!
clear spot - troutmask replica? don´t make me laugh (maybe not as good as safe as milk though)
songs the lord taught us - probably the coolest thing my dad ever introduced me to
chairs missing - better than pink flag. very eno-ish in places. syd barret even
the man machine - computer world is the best though
sextant - good next step after bitches brew
histoire de melody nelson - serge is a bit creepy. the strings arrangements make this for me
songs of love and hate - so so heavy. another one my dad got me into
third/sister lovers - sloppy, loose, all over the place. some great melodies on this though
plastic ono band - for me the only post beatles album that really stands up. lennons guitar playing on this is sick
the kick inside - ahhh kate...

Last edited:

trilliam

marquee moon

the combo of verlaine b2b lloyd is too much

scott 4 was my original pick it just missed out the seventies

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Joni Mitchell - Blue is one of my favourite albums ever, so its probably that. One of those "pieces" of music that are so beautiful it makes me feel glad to be alive and sad I'm going to die (cos when I'm dead I won't be able to hear that anymore).

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Seems like back then Germany was responsible for just as much great music as the UK and US

Also I totally forgot that Unknown Pleasures was not from the 80s

CrowleyHead

'Til The Band Comes In (Side A) (I like it better than Scott IV TBH, it's fucking FUNNY while still being in the Scott Sad-Boy Pose)

A lot of Steely Dan; though every album tends to have one "Eagles-esque" song that I can't stand.

Houses Of The Holy

First Pop Group album def.

Lou Reed Berlin.

T. Rex - The Slider. Every T. Rex album is the exact same song, but "Chariot Choogle" just slays me.

James Brown - They Payback

Curtis Mayfield - Roots

King Crimson - Red

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Horses or Diamond Dogs or What's Going On or Unknown Pleasures or Plastic Ono Band or I Can't Stand the Rain or Neu!75 or Melody Nelson or Marcus Garvey or Low or Station to Station or London Calling, somewhat canonically (and rockistly), but sometimes the canon is right, mostly in terms of albums. Parallel Lines is unfuckablewith too. Wild card (i.e. non-Mojo magazine) choice is Kim Jung Mi's Now, stellar Korean psych-rock, or Clube da Esquina.

But Chic, Television, Lou Reed...oh there's too much.

@Benny B, Dreams is a good shout for best song of all time on the right day. this too: . Stevie Nicks set on Tusk or Scott Walker set on Nite Flights would make good candidates for best 'album within an album' of the 70s

Last edited: