Documentaries about visual art

ether

Since watching 'Tims Vermeer' I've been hammering arts docs, loads of decent old BBC ones archived on Youtube. The 'three cities' thing on bbc4 was pretty good also.

Any stand out ones that come to mind?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Definitely not a documentary, but the film Lust for Life with Kirk Douglas is insanely good, and barely mentioned these days

nomos

Administrator
These are older but ...

Shock of the New (6 parts)
Francis Bacon (David Hinton)
ABCs of Dada

john eden

male pale and stale
There were a couple of docs on abstract art and one on Malevich on BBC4 last week. Not seen them yet but should be on iplayer.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Since watching 'Tims Vermeer'
Slightly bizarrely I came across this film independently today when researching Tricasters (all-in-one portable video production systems), as the titular Tim invented them too. Also directed by Penn and Teller, who last time I looked were doing magic tricks with tigers? The world is a strange place.

ether

Watched a great documentary on youtube 'Chuck Close: A Portrait in Progress' not a massive fan of his work but one of the best docs I've seen focusing solely on one artist.

ether

These aren't all about visual art but audio documentaries I'm feeling at the moment:

99% invisible Short documentaries about design.

Love and Radio: Some of the best unconventional docs I've heard particularly the recent ones. The one about the bank robbing cyclist and the boxing promotor turned improv pianist where both amazing.

Everything Is Stories Weird outsider stories.

Been working my way through the falling tree archives here also. William Thompson war is particularly good.

tttku

I enjoyed Tim's Vermeer too. Thinking, in the future, musicologists figuring out Aphex twin or BOC's sound productions etc. You might like "Rembrandt's j'Accuse" by Greenaway. Another film about new discovery / speculation on the famous painting with Greenaway maneerism.