method acting/role play supercedes irony as cultural strategy

Benny Bunter

I saw this band probably around the same time on the Stephen Colbert show and had the same reaction as Limmy, I couldn't work out whether it was a joke or not. Baffling. I put it down to some incomprehensible American thing. I'm assuming there not successful in the UK?

Benny Bunter

Ah that's an old video, this is the one I saw. Same deal though. I'd never heard of them before. I also had the unenviable task of trying to figure out what the lyrics were.

Benny Bunter

I suppose it's not just the artists it's the earnestness of the fans as well, like when you see footage of the crowd in these big festivals nowadays and the camera homes in on someone singing along like they're having some sort of religious experience. Totally baffling.

luka

it seems impossible to form a wholly original expressive language so you play with the masks and costumes previous eras have left behind

linebaugh

was talking about this with someone recently and theres so many of these people who get famous for this kind of notorious line blurring method acting, unrelated to whatever 'content' it is that they produce, that it feels like thats the only way to be famous now. Actors, musicians, politicians- they feel like a different class now.

linebaugh

the notorious bit is probably because everyones interests are so niche that its impossible to become universally loved, but people are still generally on the same page about what they find annoying

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Limmy’s seen Burt Reynolds in Deliverance to know the score. Impervious to cringe? Put another way, a ufo clip abroad filmed on a mobile, cut to a nipper switching from his home language to English because he‘d clocked he was being filmed. Subject/object. Inside/out? Schizophrenic flesh? See it with people and their kids, filming them constantly, it’s becoming ingrained slowly. Madness under a still new but increasingly skewed gaze

Now is always your moment to shine

Did you hear Simon Cowell‘s bloated, sweaty, fuck up of a face was masturbating furiously over your passion?

You are everything

You are special

The madness of a developing novelty is a madness nonetheless