method acting/role play supercedes irony as cultural strategy

luka

It's recognition that withholding belief means no results. No sacrifice no reward

PiLhead

think this dude may also be talking about what Luka is talking about, albeit from a different angle - what the dude calls Performatism

http://www.artmargins.com/index.php...fter-postmodernism-new-architecture-in-berlin

(ignore the stuff about architecture which is the second part of the essay, the first bit riffs off of then-recent movies) (he wrote a whole book about Performatism which i have not read) (as far as i can tell he's received many critiques and not much in the way of agreement)

but perhaps Luka could elaborate on the shift he's detected, the specific cultural
things that have led him to that conclusion - you dropped this thought-bomb in music, so how is it playing out in music?

(Metamodernism seems a bit like trying to have your cake and eat it -- not unlearn the lessons of postmodernism but shed all the enfeebling side effects and get back all the good things it put out of reach like belief, earnestness, passion, conviction, commitment etc)

luka

its been something ive been idly mulling over since the riff raff thread where i realised peoples software wasnt upto date. they didnt have the right systems to understand him.

luka

although its also in music becasue dissnesis activity is at an all time low and the only section with even minimal activity is music

luka

what is the lession the internet teaches? that identity is another costume n the dressing up box

luka

the one thing you fear, as a method actor, is someone digging into your past. before the character had been concieved. before you found the escape hatch. people digging into your past are trying to drag you back to earth, they dont want anyone to escape. again riff raff is good test case his interview with ebro....

luka

when you hae someone from the presentwave clashing with someone on the fallingwave you can learn a lot. so that interview is essential

luka

a lot of people i know that were into music and that, thought they were a bit cool, not squares anyway,they are lost now. they are in there 30s and lost. they dont have the software. if you dont keep ontop of your updates you can find yourself lost very quickly

luka

its like a city is always in the process of being torn down and rebuilt. go away for a few years and when you come back its confusing. you feel like you still know the place but youre getting lost all the time

luka

in 2008 i was trying to talk about the new world but i abandoned the project cos no one liked it and i lost my mojo. that was the time when i decided i would never try and wrte prose again.
http://degradationceremony.blogspot.co.uk/2008/06/dead-end.html

In Xanadu and Ganymede, fashion has become fancy dress. Walk through the trendier parts of town and you will find yourself sharing the streets with pirates and conquistadors, samurai, Comanche chiefs, characters from the Chinese opera, men in enormous Micronesian masks and grass skirts, geishas, maharajahs, sultans and mandarins.

These characters scorn the factory made garments the masses wear and pay huge prices for tailors to make each unique item.

This trend has given rise to a curious condition. Still extremely rare though everyone on the scene seems to know of cases. Costumes have been taking over their wearers personalities, like the boy dressed as an Inuit shaman who had dreams of being dismembered and put together again, but changed, with something new added to his makeup. Starting speaking in the language of the birds and prophesying, communing with spirits and dancing wildly in the parks, till one day he just disappeared. Or the notorious idler, a self-described artist who adopted the dress of a successful executive until he found himself on the board, 3 years later, not sure how it all happened, a trophy wife whose name he can barely remember sleeping beside him.

luka

oneof my art rules is never get caught winking at any particular section of the audience

PiLhead

i think you're onto something

people don't care about authenticity in the sense of a persona being grounded in some reality of the self or how it correlates with social background or any of those metrics of credibility / cred

it's about the convincingness of the persona in that performance situation - making people believe that you believe

(Bruza's "Not Convinced" is about this, the failure of the junior aspiring MC who's being dressed down isn't because he lacks for street cred, but because he doesn't put across the gestures of street knowledge, etc with sufficient skill to conjure authority and realness)

that is a generalised thing in pop music and has been for a while - identity as something you can chop and change - whereas once it was an unusual, noteworthy, self-conscious strategy (Bowie etc), worthy of commentary, and something that was deeply divisive

today it is assumed that the persona presented to the public is malleable, swappable - that it'll change, be discarded, etc as part of a career strategy

nobody expects integrity or consistency

but equally i think you're right that they don't want a sense of inverted commas/quote marks or ironically distancing, they want a performer to be fully vested in the role of the moment -- someone like Robbie Willams rolling his eyes as he sings a passionate song as if mocking the whole enterprise, that wouldn't play. Or the Darkness with the singer dude going 'geeetar' just before the guitar solo

questions:

what, besides the Internet, is behind this shift? *

is it a good thing?

* i think in politics it has become normalised that politicians say one thing to one audience, another thing to another audience. pundits talk about optics, about telling a story, about candidates needing a good narrative -- basically an acceptance of the idea of the constructedness of public persona

luka

50 cent doesn't understand 2014. He thought exposing the past of rick Ross would finish his career but instead Ross has been the biggest figure on the rap landscape for years