EBM with a B not EDM with a D

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I know there's already a thread for home-made music, but I thought I'd stick this here as it's quite close in feel to some of the stuff already posted. It's more or less still a sketch. Comment welcome, I'm still pretty much a n00b at this.

<iframe src="" frameborder="0" height="180" width="660"></iframe><div style="clear: both; height: 3px; width: 652px;"></div><p style="display: block; font-size: 11px; font-family: "Open Sans",Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; margin: 0px; padding: 3px 4px; color: rgb(153, 153, 153); width: 652px;"><a href="" target="_blank" style="color:#808080; font-weight:bold;">Sid Viscous - Feel It (passive)</a><span> by </span><a href="http://www.mixcloud.com/oliver-harr...campaign=base_links&amp;utm_term=profile_link" target="_blank" style="color:#808080; font-weight:bold;">Oliver Harris</a><span> on </span><a href="http://www.mixcloud.com/?utm_source...tm_campaign=base_links&utm_term=homepage_link" target="_blank" style="color:#808080; font-weight:bold;"> Mixcloud</a></p><div style="clear: both; height: 3px; width: 652px;"></div>

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Nice one Bruno - exactly the right sound... though the first tune is, dare I say it, a bit boring. Much prefer the next one and the one after with visuals from Pusher.
Sloane - I know nothing about Sigue Sigue Sputnik - kinda remember the Love Missile with some numbers tune but beyond that... weren't they kinda the next big thing that never happened? I will listen with interest.
The last tune is a dog - is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Dog = bad thing.

Was just checking them out (some random strand...) and was surprised at how much better they were than I had thought at the time, when I thought they sounded tinny and weak. I hadn't realised they were actually playing live and sounding like that, and all their songs were one bpm, and I kinda like the whole um trip.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I kinda thought that that was what you meant but cos you were enthusing about some of their output I wasn't quite sure.
There is an overlap with italo and John Carpenter style soundtracks here - the thing is though, a lot of "soundtracks for films that haven't been made" stuff is really tedious. I really like this one though and just ordered a copy at some expense

I guess the only idea here is "let's make a really cool big bass noise" - but it's a good idea as far as I'm concerned.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
is it just me or is there a huge ebm-revival going on atm?

I don't really keep up with what's current but there's a healthy amount of EBM gets played at World Unknown, which has been my go-to night for a good time in London the last few years (IdleRich knows it well, too).

Someone (Leo, I think?) posted this tune here in another thread a whole back:

From 2016, so not quite hot off the press, but it absolutely destroys. I'd love to hear more modern stuff like this, if you or anyone else have got some hot tips in that direction.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
I don't really keep up with what's current but there's a healthy amount of EBM gets played at World Unknown, which has been my go-to night for a good time in London the last few years (IdleRich knows it well, too).

Someone (Leo, I think?) posted this tune here in another thread a whole back:

From 2016, so not quite hot off the press, but it absolutely destroys. I'd love to hear more modern stuff like this, if you or anyone else have got some hot tips in that direction.

i don't know a lot about ebm to be honest but i noticed last festival i went to that it got played a lot by surprisingly young dj's. i also have the feeling i'm hearing it more in the club, but it could also be just a change of interest from myself. check out some of the artists on the dutch label knekelhuis: parrish smith, identified patient and job sifre. i've also very much enjoyed this fact mix: http://www.factmag.com/2018/08/06/jasss-fact-mix-ideal/

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
That's a great tune (edit: the Identified Patient one) but I'd call it more techno or even a sort of industrial-house, although there was a more classically EBMish (and also very good tune) by the same artist in the same thread as that N/O/T/A tune.

I'll check out that mix, cheers.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
is it just me or is there a huge ebm-revival going on atm?
ya it's been a trend for minute

at least one part I think is it's one of the successors to the harsh industrial techno thing, i.e. a bunch of more recent stuff on L.I.E.S. is EBM-influenced to varying degrees

reckon it's one of those things where diehards have always carried the torch and that combines with a big trend in cool techno or whatever

one of those sounds that's so great when done well but also so much potential for awful cringe

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
one of those sounds that's so great when done well but also so much potential for awful cringe

There are five golden rules for anyone who wants to make acceptable industrial-influenced dance music, be it techno, EBM or whatever:

1. keep
  2. your
  3. fucking
  4. gob
  5. shut

martin

----
There are five golden rules for anyone who wants to make acceptable industrial-influenced dance music, be it techno, EBM or whatever:

1. keep
  2. your
  3. fucking
  4. gob
  5. shut

Pretty good guidelines for a lot of industrial/power electronics/dark ambient. On paper, it's easy to just holler over the top, but a record like The Sodality's "Beyond Unknown Pleasures" demonstrates how squeaky, silly vocals can turn potentially atmospheric and sinister sounds into a total cringefest.

One exception is Japanese Whitehouse-wannabe Graveyard, whose track "Ed Kemper", where he narrates the guy's crimes in a camp squeal/broken English, is one of the funniest things ever recorded.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Pretty good guidelines for a lot of industrial/power electronics/dark ambient. On paper, it's easy to just holler over the top, but a record like The Sodality's "Beyond Unknown Pleasures" demonstrates how squeaky, silly vocals can turn potentially atmospheric and sinister sounds into a total cringefest.

Well yeah, I mean there's a ton of electro-industrial from the 80s and 90s like Skinny Puppy and FLA that could potentially be fairly decent and only moderately cheesy as instrumental music, if only it weren't for some gimp warbling on about fascism or cyborgs or fascist cyborgs through a distortion pedal.

One exception is Japanese Whitehouse-wannabe Graveyard, whose track "Ed Kemper", where he narrates the guy's crimes in a camp squeal/broken English, is one of the funniest things ever recorded.

And yet this very subject works well on 'Dead Eyes Opened' by Severed Heads when narrated by a guy with a posh AF 1960s BBC accent.

martin

----
And yet this very subject works well on 'Dead Eyes Opened' by Severed Heads when narrated by a guy with a posh AF 1960s BBC accent.

Actually, who is that guy? He also cropped up on Coil and Current 93 records, pretty much on the same subject.

martin

----
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Lustgarten - which sounds like the pseudonym of some edgy magick-obsessed industrial music dude in itself, come to think of it.

Edgar Lustgarten. Fantastic.

Cheers - never knew that. Actually, he might not be on the Coil/C93 records - I'll have to relisten. I just remember both of them rehashing the speech about death and 'nature's compost heap', or whatever it was, but it might have been a separate guy with RP.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah I don't want to sound like a snob but that ain't gonna work if you sound like Danny Dyer.

Although it might be fun to try all the same.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
ya it's been a trend for minute

at least one part I think is it's one of the successors to the harsh industrial techno thing, i.e. a bunch of more recent stuff on L.I.E.S. is EBM-influenced to varying degrees

reckon it's one of those things where diehards have always carried the torch and that combines with a big trend in cool techno or whatever

the problem with the EBM techno crossover stuff is those annoying 16th note basslines that just end up sounding like trance (not the good kind)

chugga chugga chugga kick+snare. it's a really boring rhythm.

Whereas the best industrial techno is like funky Coil if that makes sense.

obvs there are exceptions, a lot of gabber/hard acid stuff works at being funkless through its hard/dark psychedelia. you don't really need funk when you've got screaming 303 lines lashing you.