EBM with a B not EDM with a D

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm really feeling a kind of EBM sorta sound at the moment. At least, it's what I think of when I say EBM. It's the pulsing, almost kinda trancey stuff - I don't want any gothic lyrics or stupid shouting or cheesey melodies, just things that sound like the ones I've found so far - which isn't many cos it's a really specific sound. See below

Anyone know any more tunes like that?

(It might even be that this isn't EBM - whatever, I don't know what it's called but I like the hypnotic quality. It seems to me that that is what something called electronic body music with the implied ability to mesmerise you and make your body move ought to sound like so that's what I call it)

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
sounds like Italo's delinquent kid brother, feelin it

First thing that came into my head isn't quite the same but close enough in feeling

&

kind of thing there would be loads of though. Bobby Orlando and that crew probably went hardcore at some point in his career

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
When acid was hitting and Ibiza was taking off, they called it New Beat, probably worth checking through some mixes on youtube (there seem to be loads). There were alot of silly voices though, it coming from Belgium and all that. I particularly liked this one :

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WpV-ItIqRTs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
This is hot too :

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/P3mlHTF3K5k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Trillhouse

Maybe EBM is not what you're looking for, that all goes a bit Nine Inch Nails pretty quickly and some of those tracks sound a little modern for EBM. But then the whole Euro Electro, EBM, Futurepop, Dark Rave, Industrial, Minimal Wave, High NRG, era seems pretty beguiling for the casual observer.

Numbers

What I wouldn't give for 80s/early-90s Front 242 and Front Line Assembly without the vocals.

I agree, the vocals are pretty awful. Also: their live-presence was very military/goth-like.

These ones are maybe closer to what Idlerich might be after:

Both are easily found on new beat compilation disks.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
What I wouldn't give for 80s/early-90s Front 242 and Front Line Assembly without the vocals.

I don't mind De Meyers vocals in F242, in fact I think they're occasionally inspired ("ONE, YOU LOCK THE TARGET...", oh come OOON!) but yeah, FLA are a prime case of "play your damn Korg and shut the fuck up, please". So many of their tracks start out sounding like the music William Gibson must hear in his dreams and then Bill Leeb has to ruin it by opening his bleedin' gob.

(Or, in a more perfect world, with 00s Kylie Minogue vocals).

Ha, I'd buy *that* for a dollar!

I dunno if the mix on this page is still available, but I still listen occasionally: http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=12205 - more on the synthpop/coldwave side of things I guess, it's really great though.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Thanks for replies. I think you're right MrSloane - the sound I'm after is basically a kind of speeded up new beat... but isn't that what trance is?
Anyway, I'm going to listen to those tips now and I'll report back, thanks all. I think I'll put together a mix of all this stuff when I've got a load of it if anyone is interested.

IdleRich

IdleRich
OK - that Gotta be The Do Do thing is perfect except the vocal gives it a totally different feel. Funny how something (seemingly) so incidental to the whole track can change the direction of the sound like that.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Funny how something (seemingly) so incidental to the whole track can change the direction of the sound like that.

I have come to love most of it but many an italo record has an awful chorus too far :slanted: Shame

New Beat was the (as far as I know UK) name for all the Belgian stuff that started coming through around 1991. There is an old Larry Levan interview on Kiss where Judge Jules is fairly evangelic about it. For the topic of this thread there might by a 'roots of' thing around given the iconic status R&S went on to have. Old New Beat, so to speak. I think a lot of it was closer to electro but I guess you will maybe find that one banging cut on the b side as house and 4/4 came back into fashion. Would be a place for Moroder here too and a lot of stuff he influenced that was around 133bpm

IdleRich

IdleRich
It's the sound of early front 242 no?
Kind of, but they're a bit more stompy and less trancey somehow I always find. The second track there is nearest to the sound I mean. But the third has another thing I was gonna ask about at some point cos I'm a sucker for it, which is vaguely mystical sounding, vaguely Arabic motifs put over the top of new beat type tunes. That would merit a thread in itself.

IdleRich

IdleRich
What I wouldn't give for 80s/early-90s Front 242 and Front Line Assembly without the vocals. (Or, in a more perfect world, with 00s Kylie Minogue vocals). I haven't come across many instrumentals.
That's what I was saying - so many of the vocals are awful shouty things. Sometimes less is more. People always complain about the vocals on this tune (and I can see why) but at least they are annoying in a different way from usual

IdleRich

IdleRich
Maybe EBM is not what you're looking for, that all goes a bit Nine Inch Nails pretty quickly and some of those tracks sound a little modern for EBM. But then the whole Euro Electro, EBM, Futurepop, Dark Rave, Industrial, Minimal Wave, High NRG, era seems pretty beguiling for the casual observer.
Well, that's what I said above isn't it? I don't give a fuck what it's called, it's tunes that sound like these ones I like.
In fact this is what I said

(It might even be that this isn't EBM - whatever, I don't know what it's called but I like the hypnotic quality. It seems to me that that is what something called electronic body music with the implied ability to mesmerise you and make your body move ought to sound like so that's what I call it)

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I have come to love most of it but many an italo record has an awful chorus too far Shame"
I didn't mean to imply that there was anything wrong with the vocal on that one you tipped though. It worked in the tune, it's just that today I'm asking for tunes of another kind and being unnecessarily picky. I think it's worth making that distinction cos many of these new beat/ebm/industrial kinda things have vocals that generally are really terrible.

New Beat was the (as far as I know UK) name for all the Belgian stuff that started coming through around 1991. There is an old Larry Levan interview on Kiss where Judge Jules is fairly evangelic about it. For the topic of this thread there might by a 'roots of' thing around given the iconic status R&S went on to have. Old New Beat, so to speak. I think a lot of it was closer to electro but I guess you will maybe find that one banging cut on the b side as house and 4/4 came back into fashion. Would be a place for Moroder here too and a lot of stuff he influenced that was around 133bpm
Yeah, new beat was the Belgian stuff - supposedly influenced by djs playing A Split Second - Flesh at 33pm instead of 45 - that is really slow and heavy and churned out by the bucketload in the early nineties. I guess cos the parties went on for days so you needed loads and loads of tunes.
I have quite a few comps and even some twelves though ninety percent of it is pretty cheesey. Pleased to see that Plastic Bertrand of Ca Plain Pour Moi fame jumped on the bandwagon - think I've got the single of this somewhere in fact.

But I digress...