QUESTION ABOUT READING

luka

When you read do you suvocalise. When I learned I had no sound in my head. Complete silence. When I was teaching myself to read poetry at 16 or 17 or whenever it was i started to make the effort to sound the words inside my head. I then lost my ability to read in silence which has always troubled me. How do you read?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Depends a lot on the author. It can be hard not to hear writing in the voice of an author if that author has a distinctive voice that you know well. Of course this only happens with authors who were alive at some point since the invention of phonography and have/had some kind of career in spoken word, TV or whatever. Burroughs is probably the best example for me.

luka

I don't mean impersonatinthe voice of the author. I mean subvocalisation

sufi

lala
don't think so, i often find the author's voice bounces around my head for a while after i stop reading though

droid

Its almost impossible not to. Also one of the major impediments to increasing your reading speed. Finding it very hard to get past 600 wpm cos of this.

luka

i used to be able to take in a page in a glance before i taught my self to subvocalise. there is something about looking at a word in silence without subvocalisation too. subvocalisation can domesticate language

CrowleyHead

I only subvocalize with like, certain Beckett things, like "Company". Worst part is that then I learned that some of this stuff that's just him going into manic rants is in fact supposed to be preformed that way and I felt like I was 'getting it' too easy. I wish I'd gotten that wrong.

griftert

Not all the time. I think I enjoy reading more when I do it. How often and how much do people read? I find I go through phases but I've never been one of those people who always has a book on the go. I'm kind of jealous.Sort of feel like I should get into the habit, 30 pages a day or so but I dunno. I've never been able to rinse through novels in a week that sort of thing. Very rarely anyway.

griftert

Christ. How do you find the time? How do you make sense of it? I feel I can't continually move from one book to another or I go insane.
I have never been able to keep up a reading habit like that. Total laxity. I'd be happy with 1/4 of that I think.

droid

Going through a slow patch right now as Im not being really sucked into anything, but I think when you read enough you lose that need to 'settle into' a book. I just open a page and I'm in there. For me its more immediate than film. I usually like to have 2/3 or more on the go at one time as well and I will pretty much read anything.

Timewise - I dunno - havent been to a toilet without a book in about 15 years so I guess that tells you something.

Currently reading:

The Anatomy of a Moment
Cercas, Javier

Dream of Fair to Middling Women
Beckett, Samuel

Are You Ready for the Country: Elvis, Dylan, Parsons and the Roots of Country Rock
Doggett, Peter

The Death of Grass
Christopher, John

King Leopold's Ghost: A Story of Greed, Terror and Heroism in Colonial Africa
Hochschild, Adam

On the Beach
Shute, Nevil

Cat's Cradle
Vonnegut, Kurt

A Season in Carcosa
Sr., Joseph S. Pulver

woops

is not like other people
I don't subvocalise

Sometimes people say, do you speed-read? I don't do that either. What I'd say I do is read at about the rate that people speak.