Is there anybody who likes jazz?

Woebot

the KILLER

amazing to have this version of black, brown and beige online - just stop at 9:03 though - vocals a bit cheezy

TOTAL DEVASTATION

Last edited:

Woebot

best version of caravan

there are loads of terrible versions of caravan on youtube - but not this one so i have had to rip and upload it. future music from 1937 (this might be a slightly later recording tho)

Download here

bruno

est malade
i'm not sure i can agree with you. i think a lot of the music that got made used the genre's distinct form as a crutch. see i don't think ellington can be bested - but he would be classed as quintessentially jazz - he invented the crutch itself.

like this - for instance - this is totally sick

yes it is.

miles' quintet on form (between e.s.p and nefertiti) also strikes me as quintessential. clearly later, and not reinventing the wheel, but it was 'pure' jazz and very much alive.

(he loved him madly is a favourite, too)

trza

If Craner can post fifteen year old house remixes then I will add some commercial hip hop with jazz references like that Thrift Shop song that swept the grammy's a couple years ago.

Hip-hop was once based on soul and jazz samples, then that stuff went out of style. Now throwing out a loop of horns over the same mid tempo beat makes the song sound catchy again, and having just the smallest amounts of blue notes or jazz colors in the sound cane make a rap tune catchy and sounds just a little cartooninsh to the younger kids who grew up listening to the guys rapping over trance:

craner

Beast of Burden
Well, ok then. This rendered Acid Jazz dead at birth.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CgmfyFm30OE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bruno

est malade
actually, that rendition of mood indigo sounds much too advanced and well-recorded for 1930, this seems to be the original recording

which is still far ahead of this which is contemporary or later

in any case i'm beginning to think woebot may have a point, but i need to be less ignorant of ellington and early jazz before agreeing.

Woebot

miles' quintet on form (between e.s.p and nefertiti) also strikes me as quintessential. clearly later, and not reinventing the wheel, but it was 'pure' jazz and very much alive.

(he loved him madly is a favourite, too)

i'm with you. miles became very unhip in the 00s - but the people who thought he wasn't hip any more - they're all dead or not listening to music.

bruno

est malade
i never cared for them anyway
i think the trouble with genius is that it is all-consuming and obscures everything else, i've met mono-artist fans (at least in one case a miles fan to exclusion of everything else) and it's not a pretty sight, so the natural reaction is to reject the big and go for the small to balance things out until it's time to appreciate the big again. it is now safe to unbox the miles records.

CrowleyHead

Woebot; just wanna say My dad's a huge Ellingtonia fanatic, he has every record possible, knows line-ups of the Orchestra like the back of his hand, and he thought your writing on the Afro-Eurasian Eclipse LP was perf.

On a side note, Jazz is the most useless thing in rap unless we're talking about sampling fodder or some Project Blowed songs.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/E7ZHJzLxc0k?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/47O4GReksxo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

nomos

Administrator
btw, i thought this thread was you at first but it was just an algorithm :p

Last edited: