Is there anybody who likes jazz?

bruno

est malade
definitely correct bruno. just the version i like :)
cool, i like it very much, i have to say though that the ellington discography is daunting, i wouldn't know where to begin (he is either very prolific or repackaged to infinity).

Woebot

cool, i like it very much, i have to say though that the ellington discography is daunting, i wouldn't know where to begin (he is either very prolific or repackaged to infinity).

yeah i know what you mean - at spotify there are squillions of lps there.

i've just stumbled on bits i liked i think.

zhao

there are no accidents
why don't the cheeks of reedsmen get puffed up like an actual frog, like Mr. Kirks' here, any more? when did this phenomenon cease? are today's players just not practicing and playing hard enough or is it a matter of breathing method?

CrowleyHead

Might be certain dudes facial structures bruh. I mean, Miles never flared up his cheeks like Dizzy. Then again, Dizzy's obscene.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
I quiet like Jazz, 'though it lacks the depth, integrity, imagination or longevity of a great Funky House/Grime/Footwork/Bangbot/Streetsnap/Glitch Folk tune.

luka

An interesting thread would be, is 80s Jazz redeemable? When I moved to London in 2000, Jazz FM still existed. It was a weird station. It used to broadcast 24 hours a day to London and surrounding counties, and being an insomniac at the time I would put it on at about 3 or 4 am every night until I fell asleep and woke up at, say, 11 am. Late night to early morning it would play hours of 80s yacht jazz, all mellow electric piano and George Benson guitar, totally Saint Tropez circa 1987. Sort of georgous and grotesque at the same time. And there was tons of it. No DJs to tell you what it was. Just an endless, wordless, ambient wash. It had an eery, lovely glow at these moments, but only then. Presumably some people knew these records and rated them. But they seemed, still seem, totally lost pieces of music, not redeemable, but effective for certain unnatural moments that lack all original context.

goodpost

Leo

"smooth jazz" FM stations used to be very popular in the states, also often referred to as "dentist office music". i believe some of this stuff is now considered balearic, and thus cool, by certain hipster types.

luka

i got a wire to read on the eurostar and as a result ive spent today listening to mostly solo evan parker.
never really got into solo instrument recorsd before i dont think

jenks

thread death
Stuff I have been listening to recently:
Arve Henriksen's Towards Language - very ECM Nordic jazz, bits of Jon Hassell in there mixed with Japanese influences
Chris Potter et al's The Dreamer is The Dream
Christian Scott Atunde Adjua's latest - Ruler Rebel which I think is on a par with his recent Stretch Music

and not quite jazz I know but quite a surprise nonetheless: World Spirituality Classics 1: The Ecstatic Music of Alice Coltrane Turiyasangitananda which would really appeal to the drone heads here.