Is there anybody who likes jazz?

sadmanbarty

must seriously bone up on blue note

Here's my drummer centric, off the top of my head favourite post-bop albums, a lot of which are blue note. I'm not really into straight ahead hard bop or free jazz so not much use on the front, but I hope it's of some use.

Wayne Shorter- Etcetera, JuJu, Soothsayer

Miles- Sorcerer, Four and More, ESP

Joe Henderson- Inner Urge, In N Out

McCoy Tyner- Real McCoy

Booker Ervin- Freedom Book, Space book, the trance

Art Blakey- free for all (tracks 1 and 3)

Sam rivers- fuchsia swing song

Andrew hill- point of departure

herbie hancock- empyrean isles, maiden voyage

lee morgan- live at the lighthouse

By the way you might like Joe henderson's el barrio if you like Ole

john eden

male pale and stale
I also just booked tickets for that Pharoah Sanders Barbican thing, so thanks for the tip off. We can do a miniature dissensus drinks beforehand if people want? And indeed afterwards.

Just got back from seeing Val Wilmer talking about meeting and photographing Sun Ra, Albert Ayler and many others in the 60s. With our own Diggedy Derek on the decks also... top night.

Leo

another outlier, surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, partially written as a ballet

luka

I also just booked tickets for that Pharoah Sanders Barbican thing, so thanks for the tip off. We can do a miniature dissensus drinks beforehand if people want? And indeed afterwards.

Just got back from seeing Val Wilmer talking about meeting and photographing Sun Ra, Albert Ayler and many others in the 60s. With our own Diggedy Derek on the decks also... top night.

good thinking. get your tickets you lot.
the youtube embeds arent showing up for me any more. i wonder if that is becasue my computer has no memory left. the album i was listening to the other night that just left me utterly flabbergasted was
Don Cherry & Latif Khan - Music_Sangam
the rhythms on it are outrageous, actually impossible. highly recommend having a go on that one.

sadmanbarty

youtube links are working for me

I forgot to mentionJackie Mclean in my other post, but his albums Right Now, Jackknife, Demon's dance are all good.

McCoy Tyner's Extensions is a great bridge between post-bop and spiritual jazz.

craner

Beast of Burden
the youtube embeds arent showing up for me any more. i wonder if that is becasue my computer has no memory left. the album i was listening to the other night that just left me utterly flabbergasted was
the rhythms on it are outrageous, actually impossible. highly recommend having a go on that one.

I'm going. Jim's coming.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

Frustratingly the Pharoah Sanders gig is on the one weekend of the whole bloody year I'm not in the country. Hopefully he'll do another gig in London at the time.

That Cherry/Khan album helped to soften the blow. magical. two people i know v little about, need to investigate further