Is there anybody who likes jazz?

mairi

Hey guys.
Is there anybody who admires jazz?
I think it's kind of music which not everybody understand but lots of people like.
Which doers you like most?

zhao

there are no accidents
from dixieland to bop to cool to extended improvisation i and many others around here love all kinds of jazz from all time periods, with some reservations such as certain types of fusion or elevator shit.

but anyone who even remotely love or care about music would have a lot of respect for its legacy and understanding of its central importance in the evolution of modern music, even if they don't go home every night and rock out to Ornette Coleman

personally these days i'm mostly listening to the quieter side of "avant garde". not nearly as much total out there mind bogglers or skronk as before. Also some "spiritual" "deep" stuff as well as all time greats that just keep endlessly giving and giving like Steve Lacy. A favorite at the moment is a pianist called Agustí Fernández.

Numbers

A while ago I used Woebot's list of the 100 best jazz albums to educate myself on the subject. I can really recommend that if you would be looking for a way in.

The most surprising inclusion for me was probably Duke Ellington's Ellington Indigos. Not that Duke's place in jazz history is disputed. I was just blown away by the incredible lusciousness of it. It's a wonderfully sweet record.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
I know very little about it but buy and listen to lots.

There is an almost unlimited amount from all corners of the world.

Leo

best thread title in ages!

btw, was there at any point ever a backlash to the backlash on acid jazz? zhao mentioned the consensus thumbs down on certain types of fusion and elevator shit, but i can't imagine it ever being cool to say you actually like acid jazz, even ironically. lots of people probably wouldn't even consider it to be "real" jazz.

trza

Well Acid Jazz basically killed the jazz dance movement, only to go out of style itself a few years later, so a backlash would only be inevitable.

Leo

Well Acid Jazz basically killed the jazz dance movement, only to go out of style itself a few years later, so a backlash would only be inevitable.

i know there was a backlash against it, just wondering if there was ever a backlash to the backlash (i.e., a point when people actually started to like it again).

craner

Beast of Burden
It was always embarrasing, wasn't it? A slightly bad-smelling appendige to wine bar soul, a la Sade in the popular imagination. Was meant to be all Roy Ayers and Donald Byrd-influenced, but sounded like Wynton Marsalis fans who were ashamed of their inspiration and triangulated Clinton-style to keep the whole sad project alive. Jazz died well before then.

Sade was well superior to Acid Jazz, not that she had anything to do with it.

craner

Beast of Burden
An interesting thread would be, is 80s Jazz redeemable? When I moved to London in 2000, Jazz FM still existed. It was a weird station. It used to broadcast 24 hours a day to London and surrounding counties, and being an insomniac at the time I would put it on at about 3 or 4 am every night until I fell asleep and woke up at, say, 11 am. Late night to early morning it would play hours of 80s yacht jazz, all mellow electric piano and George Benson guitar, totally Saint Tropez circa 1987. Sort of georgous and grotesque at the same time. And there was tons of it. No DJs to tell you what it was. Just an endless, wordless, ambient wash. It had an eery, lovely glow at these moments, but only then. Presumably some people knew these records and rated them. But they seemed, still seem, totally lost pieces of music, not redeemable, but effective for certain unnatural moments that lack all original context.

Leo

An interesting thread would be, is 80s Jazz redeemable? When I moved to London in 2000, Jazz FM still existed. It was a weird station. It used to broadcast 24 hours a day to London and surrounding counties, and being an insomniac at the time I would put it on at about 3 or 4 am every night until I fell asleep and woke up at, say, 11 am. Late night to early morning it would play hours of 80s yacht jazz, all mellow electric piano and George Benson guitar, totally Saint Tropez circa 1987. Sort of georgous and grotesque at the same time. And there was tons of it. No DJs to tell you what it was. Just an endless, wordless, ambient wash. It had an eery, lovely glow at these moments, but only then. Presumably some people knew these records and rated them. But they seemed, still seem, totally lost pieces of music, not redeemable, but effective for certain unnatural moments that lack all original context.

we had similar radio stations here, they identified themselves as "smooth jazz" (we used to call it "soft jazz"). they were really popular with high listener ratings, but the only places i recall hearing them were at my dentist's office and over the public address systems in large department stores.

craner

Beast of Burden
This is much better than the original. I wish I had kept my copy.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xMH3T172U_4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

craner

Beast of Burden
we had similar radio stations here, they identified themselves as "smooth jazz" (we used to call it "soft jazz"). they were really popular with high listener ratings, but the only places i recall hearing them were at my dentist's office and over the public address systems in large department stores.

It's a fascinating aural black hole. Prehaps Matt Ingram can enlighten us.

craner

Beast of Burden
This is a similar old crush of mine, not quite such an improvement on the source, but still addictive and excellent. (Nostalgic value is off the chart for specific reasons.)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wAkBniogDic" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

craner

Beast of Burden
Sorry to derail this thread, but I am following my own logic here and must also drag this piece of magic into it, as it fits the other two:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DCKYMwiDvDw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

craner

Beast of Burden
DISCO. I know, but one more spurious, classic remix if you don't mind (you bloody well shouldn't)...

Stevie Wonder - All I Do Cleptomaniacs Remix

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KsohkHEkeNI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This speeded up on the garage stations always sounded fantastic.

craner

Beast of Burden
Yes, I know. Well, the first one was, but sometimes you have to improvise here, enjoy the flow, keep up, you know? I already apologised once, I won't again. Did you enjoy the music?