Is there anybody who likes jazz?

craner

Beast of Burden
I suppose what I'm trying to convey, without even realising it, is that the MASSIVE JOY I got from these tracks in their piratical state when they came out was closer to the raw jazz dance music reponse than anything that Acid Jazz could possibly inspire with its pseudo-modern unstated-reverance stance and sound. But I was also following my own nostalgiac loop from a Herbie Hancock memory. I am a big Mwandishi Band fan. It's true! I even spotted the Show & AG sample.

craner

Beast of Burden
You know you can cut loose to Sidney Bechet. Those Trad Jazz dancers in 50s Soho were wild movers. They almost matched the Northern Soul stompers and splitzers for energy and leg-work. The 90s ravers had little on those guys and girls in terms of tempo, drugs and sweat.

rubberdingyrapids

i listen to a lot of it, but with varying levels of enthusiasm. used to think as a teenager that a love supreme was the best jazz album, but now think earlier, more melodic coltrane is better. rock fans just like ALS because its passion is aggressive. i like giant steps, and the self-titled coltrane set more. electric miles is interesting, but kind of blue and birth of cool are actually better. duke ellington was incredible. louis armstrong too. in terms of vocalists, i know saying billie holiday is obvious, but while i like various sides she made in her early and middle years, lady in satin is heartbreaking. fusion gets a bad rep, sometimes deservedly, but return to forever are such an amazing unit, and i am partial to that kind of jazz-rock progginess, just cos i like to hear great musicianship, though i also sometimes hate the freeness of the solo-ing in jazz and wish they just reigned it in a bit more.

craner

Beast of Burden
I've got a tape somewhere in the house recorded from a North London pirate station broadcast in March 2001 where the DJ mixes the Stevie Wonder track out of some slinky Steve Gurley-type 2-step remix and into the first Streets track 'Has it come to this?' (months before Locked On released it).

And it's a magic 15 minutes.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
We all love Billie because she is just VOICE and not trapped by scat. We all hate scatting, which is why most of the great jazz vocalists are lost outside of the jazz community. And, to be fair, most hardcore jazz fans are (these days) jazz musicians. And they hate vocalists. Unless they scat, i.e. become a subortinate musician. Contemporary jazz fans and players are some of the biggest wankers on the planet.

rubberdingyrapids

Contemporary jazz fans and players are some of the biggest wankers on the planet.
too easy.

a bit of scatting is absolutely fine, just in small doses.
not sure WTF stevie is doing in this thread but since hes already in it, might as well say that contusion is a brilliant bit of jazz fusion.
cassandra wilson is a great modern jazz vocalist.

Last edited:

Leo

isn't it kind of funny that we're actually discussing this topic? i mean, it's just a short step away from "hey, who here likes music?" i thought it was a joke thread, hence my post taking it in an acid jazzy direction. is this a sad indictment on what dissensus has become? WE CAN DO BETTER! ;)

rubberdingyrapids

its cos jazz provokes automated snickers and blokeish grunting/snorting in british rock/pop culture. its either 'muso wankers' or 'jazz wankery' or 'jazz noodling' or 'why cant they just play guitars/the tune?' unless its sun-ra, who is okay, cos hes a bit 'weird' and a bit 'noisy' and that is all okay of course cos its so EDGY. and then jazz fans are of course all beard stroking cunts.

its funny how youth scenes like british jazz, of the type george melies was into frinstance, are pretty much forgotten so we can all tell the story of youthful rebellion/youth scenes beginning with rock n roll.

&
if you're posting jazz house remixes see line woman needs to get a mention. that drum loop has been sampled so many times it's mental

mercutio

Does anyone have a link to Woebot's top 100 Jazz records list? The only list of his i've ever been able to find is his top 100 records, which I love. Would love to see his favourite jazz records.

trza

I've been on a Brazilian jazz binge for the last couple years, I've been listening to about one new album a day for that time, and I still have about 300 more on my itunes that I haven't been able to listen to yet. Its a companion to my online portuguese lessons and several books about Brazilian music and history.

I've made a handful of short mixes of bossa nova music to keep a record of what I've been listening to:
http://www.mixcloud.com/TristaoDaCunha/

Leo

ok, well, if we're doing this then i'll share a few favorites. i'm far from a jazz buff but have gone through a few phases of interest. nothing obscure here, just things i find i can go back to over the years...

a treasure...

at different points in his career, each stellar in their own ways...

a bit more free-spirited...

"world" sounds melded with 70s electrified jazz-rock...

avant with a groove...

also, there's these:
http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=8967&pagenumber=
http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=117&highlight=jazz
http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=4078&highlight=jazz

Last edited:

dert

some favorites:

bennie maupin - ensenada

dave holland - conference of the birds

some others not on youtube:

bobby previte - ballet

bunny brunel - touch

so i dig this melodic spacey ecm sound a lot. any recommendations?

Last edited:

luka

It's the aimlessNess of jazz that irritates, the assumption that I have all the time in the world. There's a good bit and you start getting into it, then you have to sit through a bass solo. Allow that jazz. Focus your mind.