Best of 2014

bruno

est malade
i can only answer from my perspective which is not very informed and probably dull, plus i'm not sure these are all 2014, but this is what i have enjoyed:

longing for the past, the 78 rpm era in southeast asia (dusk to digital)
box set of old recordings spanning 1906-1960 with lavish book and wonderful music. the whole package is a work of love, informative, visually stimulating and with music from places and people long gone.

charles cohen, a retrospective (morphine)
very effective and suprisingly non-dated pieces performed on the buchla synthesizer which is apparently difficult to master. this man inexplicably published next to zero of his work until this release.

valerio tricoli, miseri lares (pan)
some effective electroacoustic-sounding pieces with interesting textures which to be honest i played once and put back on the shelf. pan packaging is stellar.

brian eno, another green world (eg)
harold budd, the pavilion of dreams (eg)
i have listened to these two obsessively and generally discovered eno's output/reach which i did not understand or care for until recently. another green world is a staple of the day/evening, pavilion a companion (along with marion brown, who plays here) of many nights.

hands, the soul is quick (ecstatic)
4 track outing by alex willner of the field, like a beatless cupid's head with subdued or no vocals, or a loops of your heart with less drama, mostly texture and a meditative slightly sinister vibe which i like.

1970s algerian folk and pop (sublime frequencies)
this excellent compilation has two of the most hauntingly beautiful tracks you could imagine wahdi by kri kri and silence des cendres by ahmed malik (algeria's morricone, according to the liner notes). there is a parallel with 70s chile here in feeling and aesthetic that is hard to explain but very gratifying, if melancholy.

mamane sani, la musique électronique du niger (sahelsounds)
mamane sani, taarit (sahelsounds)
the first is an old tape from of extended hypnotic tinkering on an old synth (i have no idea which exactly, but it works), the second newer less effective recordings that sound bland and at the same time compelling. mamane was the son of a diplomat in his native niger, which explains how he got hold of this equipment (at the time) and was able to publish.

ai aso, lone (ideologic organ)
very fragile cooing, whispering and strumming by this former idol singer (i think) which i do not fully understand but has a lethargic effect, at least the one time i played it.

iancu dumitrescu, pierres sacrées (ideologic organ)
this is actually from 2012 but i include this because i play it often, the packaging (a constellation or supernovae going off in the outer reaches of the universe) is stunning and iancu deserves more attention in general.

Last edited:

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
The only new music I've really checked this year is house and techno stuff (and I don't really feel like it's been a great year for that)

Artists who I have liked - Joey Anderson, Objekt, Kassem Mosse, Bruce, Gesloten Cirkel, Omar S. The Livity Sound remix series was good too

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
My list will grow and grow... here's a few

Chris Brown feat. Lil Wayne, Tiga etc. - Loyal
Tinashe feat. Schoolboy Q - 2 On
Trey Songz - Foreign
Ca$h Out - I Want The Money
Ty Dolla $ign feat. The Weeknd, Wiz Khalifah and DJ Mustard - Or Nah
Young Thug - Eww
T.I. feat. Young Thug - About The Money
Iggy Azalea - Fancy
Trey Songz - Touchin, Lovin' feat. Nicki Minaj -
King Louie - GOD
King Louie - God King feat. Chi Hoover https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqy0wGBH0_I

Rich Gang - Lifestyle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGt_JGHYEO4

YG feat. Drake - Who Do You Love https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN4upVaDFFs

rubberdingyrapids

i havent really heard much that i really *loved* this year tbh.

really liked yg and dj mustard a lot (my favourite producer since i dont know when), shabazz palaces i thought was a bit insipid after black up. flying lotus' youre dead was half brilliant half annoying with its cut-everything-to-death approach to song length. run the jewels, i would keep about half of. i eventually warmed to arca's xen, like quite a bit of fka twigs, maybe more as a performer than anything else. liked what dj taye and traxman released as far as footwork. i thought actress' album was incredibly overrated, the bug's album was really good and kind of comforting in a weird way, like i knew what i was getting and it didnt dissapoint, also as it reaches to a more familiar sound of london that i miss. ive also been listening to quite a few mixes and podcasts which i think i have liked more than any albums, like the carter tutti void mix from needle exchange. i am trying to get into ariel pinks pom pom and think it might be his most comprehensive album, as in the album that shows a bit of everything he has done up to now, but also just find it a bit bitty, even though its also a massive banquet of pink-ness, which is very AP, but also just a bit... 'you can do better... you should do better at this point'.

Last edited:

hucks

Your Message Here
Think this is the first year where I've felt properly, properly out of touch. Me and a mate normally swap Best of the Year mix CDs but I don't think I can fill one.

Thing is, though, some of the acts whose albums I've been buying for years had their most successful ones in 2014 - Aphex and Caribou both went top 10. But neither of those albums were their best by any means. I saw Caribou at Koko and it was OK and full of people my age, who now have both the financial and cultural capital to make stuff matter since all the under 25s (edit - more like under 30s tbh) are skint and too busy looking for work to produce their own scenes. This is a terrible state of affairs. There's no way there should be a critical mass of people like me putting music that's a good 10 years past its sell by date at into the top 10 and having it somehow passed off as relevant.

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

nah, its okay. pop music wasnt always for the kids. at least this is what im telling myself.

ive been trying to stay in touch much harder this year. it does take a lot more effort though.

allegiant

Evenly Distributed
SD Laika - That's Harakiri
Valerio Tricoli - Miseri Lares
Shinichi Atobe - Butterfly Effect
Lee Gamble - Koch LP + Kuang EP
Oneohtrix Point Never - Commissions I
Dopplereffekt / Objekt - Hypnagogia
Ø - Konstellaatio
Visionist - I'm Fine, Part II
Bing and Ruth - Tomorrow Was the Golden Age
Andy Stott - Faith in Strangers
µ-Ziq - Rediffusion
Dark0 - Fate + half the Sin EP
Some Truths - Some Friends I Lost to Bedlam, Others I Abandoned There
D/P/I - MN.ROY
Shackleton - Deliverence Series Vol. 1
Mr. Mitch - Parallel Memories + The Room Where I Belong
Loom - Grade EP
Pan Sonic - Oksastus
M.E.S.H. - Scythians EP
Ugandan Methods & Prurient - Dial B for Beauty
Dean Blunt - Black Metal
Claude Speeed - My Skeleton
Ueno Masaaki - Ununseptium / Vortices

Honourable mentions to M. Geddes Gengras, Zennor, Bruce, Livity Sound, Moleskin & Prostitutes.

luka

this happens every year. a load of wire readers come out the woodwork when its time foran end of year list. its always confused me. talking about music no human listens to

luka

i didnt seek out music this year i let it come to me so only know big commercial stuff and some weird things i found off here or twitter. Probably a lot of it not even 2014.im old mate. leave it out.

Jeremih - Don't Tell Em
gloss come off this since my new neighbour played it about 22 times in a row at 9am the other day when i was trying to sleep. tune was old already leave it out.
Kid Ink - Show Me
i like the pacing. the bass. the 90s Romford niteclub extrapolation. cant put my finger on the eurodance classic its referencing.
Ty Dolla $ign - Paranoid
Jordin Sparks - It Ain't You
Trey Songz - Na Na
Keyshia Cole "SHE"

Dinah Hopkins
5 months ago
This is not the keyshia i know! you are christian woman and have a beautiful child! and going towardsbeing a lebisan to get some record sells! very disappointed in you keyshia! better repent! or GOD will! 

Dizzy D
5 months ago
She's clearly talking about "self pleasure". The writer of the song verified on twitter that this song IS NOT about another woman, but exploring YOURSELF. You people are so gullible, but that's none of my business. 

Tinashe - 2 On
Jonn Hart - I Can't Feel My Leggz
this is probably my favourite of the mustard hits. focussed. they can be a wee bit baggy if we're being pernickiity.
Rayven Justice - Slide Thru
Adrian Marcel - 2AM
Trey Songz - Foreign
DJ Khaled - Hold You Down
August Alsina ft. Chris Brown & Trey Songz- "I Luv This Shit" [REMIX]
found out about a lot of music from another one of my neighbours playing their music too loud. i dont mind this neighbour though cos they are not next door and they never play old tunes.
August Alsina - No Love
chris brown-loyal
2NYO - Roll With Me
TeeFLii - 24 Hours
Young Thug-Danny Glover
Young Thug - Stoner
Young Thug - The Blanguage
T.I. - I Need War ft. Young Thug
Young Thug-Pelican Fly
Travis Scott Young Thug - Mamacita
Rich Gang - Ridin
Young Thug - "Some More"
young thug is from the freestlye fellowship school of rapping. being a musician with the flow. how many ways can you approach the beat. toy with it, skip around it. not saying most of his tunes arent well irritating tho....
Future - After That
Future- Monster
Future - Gangland
Ca$h Out ft. Wiz Khalifa, Ty Dolla $ign - Let's Get It
Ca$h Out ft. Waka Flocka - Stunt On Ya Haters
Ca$h Out - She Wit It
Rick Ross - If They Knew
Migos - Black Bottles
Migos - England
Chief Keef - Save Me
Chief Keef - Whole Crowd
Chief Keef - Who Is That
Chief Keef - Sosa Style
Chief Keef - Cuz
lost in space looking around and all he can see is stars
John Walt - KemoWalk
thats a crowley 1
K KUTTA - FREEZE TAG BOOTY
new age miami bass.i really like these kind of videos.
Danity Kane - Lemonade
the Jacka - Gang Starz
the Jacka - 2 dungeons deep
Lil Boosie - No Juice
K. Michelle - Love 'Em All
K. Michelle - Can't Raise A Man
Bobby Schmurda-hot
dej loaf-try me
Pardison Fontaine - "OYYY
Snootie Wild - Made Me
Snootie Wild - "She's A Keeper"
Juvenile ft 2 Chainz - Booty
Rick Ross - Quintessential (Ft. Snoop Dogg)
lil durk-i made it

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

skeptas thats not me is obviously the best song of the year. fuse odg's tina might be second. then rustie and danny brown's attack (rusties album is underrated too).

luka

or danny brown. but im happyfor everyone to have their own opinion and i would never withdraw my love and support from anyone just cos they have a differnet opinion.

rubberdingyrapids

tbh its the only danny brown song i really like. apart from the other one he did with rustie on his album.

the DEE songs with starkey and rustie are also good.

other good grime stuff - slackks album, chronik's mixtape.

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

Skepta is utterly unlistenable these days, I don't know how people keep lying to themselves.

"I'M STILL ALIVE, JUST LIKE TOO-PACK".

Fucking abysmal. Also saw some freestyle with all the 'new faces' of grime and Jammer was rapping about serving coke. My dude, we know you. Stop lying. Where the fuck is Marcus Nasty when we need him?

I can never remember what I'd have for my 2014 EOTY that wasn't rap, but I'd say the Tinashe & SD Laika albums get there...

Anyways, here's the unedited version of tunes I liked the best. Might cut it down/change it before the year's up.

Migos - YRN (ft. Young Thug)
Vince Staples - Blue Suede
Sage The Gemini - Bad Girls
Drake – How About Now
Partynextdoor - Recognize (ft. Drake)
Rae Sremmurd – No Flex Zone
Black Portland - Movin (ft. Ola Playa)
Bandit Gang Marco - Nasty (ft. Young Dro)
Kool John - Bitch I Look Good (ft. P-Lo)
Bobby Shmurda - Bobby Bitch
Chief Keef - Fool Ya
Vic Spencer - Profound (ft. Tree)
Young Thug - Eww Eww Eww
Rich Gang – Freestyle
Wiley - On A Level
5th Ward Webbie – Let Me Find Out
Mumdance - Take Time (ft. Novelist)
MPA Shitro - Christmas (ft. Young Scooter)
YG - Bicken Back Bein Bool
Lethal Bizzle - Rari Workout (ft. JME & Tempa T)
Rich Homie Quan – Milk Marie
Meridian Dan – So Much Cash (ft. Wiley & President-T)
Diego Money – Cash Shit (ft. Ka$h)
FamousToMost - #WhipDance
Jay Ant – Ask YB
Snootie Wild - Made Me (ft. K Camp)
Bloody Jay - Killed My Brother
YC - Main Chick (ft. Young Thug)
Rich Kidz - More
Johnny Cinco - I Got Em
T.I. - Jet Fuel (ft. Lil' Boosie)
Peewee Longway - Use Me Up (ft. Quez)
John Walt - Kemo Walk
Future - I'll Be Yours
Z-Money - Dope Boy Magic
Young Moose – Posted
Tion Wayne - Still Me
Kevin Gates - Cut Her Off
Fat Trel - Felonyz (ft. P-Wild & Oochie)
Rocko - Luv
Lil Tim/Money Makin Mozzy - You Ain't Really Like That
Trim - Vending Machine
Young Fathers - Paying
K Kutta - Freeze Tag Booty
Hitta J3 - Do Yo Gudda Remix (ft. Problem, YG & Kendrick Lamar)
Metro Thuggin - The Blanguage
Gucci Mane - Top On The Trash (ft. Chief Keef)
Oochie - Jesus (ft. Fat Trel)
Boosa Da Shoota - Intro
Lil Gangsta - Life Of A Soldier
Jose Guapo - Gettin Paid
Skippa Da Flippa - How Fast Can You Count It
Show Banga - I Been that (ft. Sage The Gemini)
Yung L.A. - FRFR
JR - Bob Mabena (ft. Okmalumkoolkat & Spoek Mathambo)
Ezale - Foreal Foreal
Adamn Killa - Why
Young Money - Senile
T-Wayne - I Heard
Rabit - Black Dragons (ft. Riko Dan)
Ben J - Save It For The Birds
DJ Nate - More Than One
Selfmade - Super Clean (ft. Street Knowledge)
P Money – Originators
Fetty Wap – Trap Queen
SD – Circles
A-Wax – Only Pray
KO The God - Invincible
Flirta D - Yukky

rubberdingyrapids

lol, the 2pac line is meant to be funny.
and jammer talking about coke, post-rick ross, is also not really something anyone but the most pedantic should care about i think in 2014.