Best of 2014

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
it's beautiful, isn't it.

Yeah it's great. The whole album is to be honest. I thought Radio Algeria was great too and I wasn't aware of a new album of Algerian music - or does this one belong to a different serie?

Thank you for your list, I checked most of it and liked most of it - especially the Algerian compilation, The 78 rpm era in southeast asia and Ai Aso.

bruno

est malade
Yeah it's great. The whole album is to be honest. I thought Radio Algeria was great too and I wasn't aware of a new album of Algerian music - or does this one belong to a different serie?

Thank you for your list, I checked most of it and liked most of it - especially the Algerian compilation, The 78 rpm era in southeast asia and Ai Aso.
you're welcome!

i've no idea if it's a series, i picked it up on a whim because of the cover and was ushered into this musical world almost by chance. i'll check out radio algeria, thank you.

Silence des Cendres is amazing indeed.

Any recommendations on newer Algerian music in this kind of vein?:
i'm not sure but i think sufi knows quite a bit about this stuff, at least i remember him sharing some (tunisian?) cassette rips.

Leo

oh, forgot to mention...the self-titled album by vermont (on kompakt). good ambient kosmische from motor city drum ensemble's danilo plessow and innervisions' marcus worgull, with help from can's jaki liebzeit.

so will everyone also now be adding the new/15-years-in-the-making d'angelo album? listened to the samples on iTunes, sounds pretty good.

Numbers

I found quite some good stuff this year actually. Nothing world shattering, but still good and solid:

- PC Music: I am late to the party, still there are some gems in there.
- Seapunk or metallic grey music (as Adam Harper seems to call it): mainly Dutch. E Germ and Fatima Al Qadiri
- Mr. Mitch: Parallel Memories
- Everything by Donato Dozzy (I think I said the same last year, I just really like his stuff)
- Claude Speeed - My Skeleton
- Daniela Casa - Sovrapposizione di immagini
- Gunnar Haslam - Mirrors and copulation
- Gordon Voidwell - Bad études

Last edited:

Leo

another late addition: how could i overlook the moodymann album? forgot it came out this year, played a lot this summer.

also...in reading best ofs on various blogs/websites, i'm wondering how dean blunt gets away with it! i liked hype williams as a conceptual art project and "the redeemer" is fairly interesting, but this latest album really isn't anything special. it's like he's pushing the limit of how much he can get away with in terms of uninspired songwriting, bad singing and general laziness without going over the edge into full-on parody mode.

CrowleyHead

I've been saying this all over the place, but I think his free albums (The Narcissist & Stone Island) are loads better than the Hippos in Tanks stuff.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Migos - England

ElliahxLiisha4 months ago

why is this song called England though?
Reply ·
Hide replies

Kelvin Clark4 months ago

cause he has 'pounds' on him like the King of england. in England they use pounds(nt drugs) as their currency.
Reply · 8

jay jay1 month ago

bitch u got ears or what
Reply ·

rubberdingyrapids

not heard the new one yet but yeah, its astonishing.
also...in reading best ofs on various blogs/websites, i'm wondering how dean blunt gets away with it! i liked hype williams as a conceptual art project and "the redeemer" is fairly interesting, but this latest album really isn't anything special. it's like he's pushing the limit of how much he can get away with in terms of uninspired songwriting, bad singing and general laziness without going over the edge into full-on parody mode.