What old music have you been enjoying this year?

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
^ i've been checking out the swan silvertones because of prince

i recently got that Deutsche Harmonia Mundi 50cd box set so i've been heavy into that old music (if it qualifies?) lately

just popped on that miles davis original mono box set - that should hit soon - just because i don't own ascenseur pour l'echafaud in a physical format (that matters to me for some reason)

droid

Listening to a ton of late 70's early 80's new-wave synth-pop - some great obscurities on Youtube.

Leo

i love this guitar sound on these old funky/r&b tracks, kinda like lots of chic stuff

rubberdingyrapids

ive also just been checking out stuff prince bought/liked -
santana (the earlier stuff)
joni mitchell - hissing of summer lawns (his favourite album of hers apparently)
va - gospel greats (good charly records comp)
jaco pastorius (no idea if he liked jaco actually, but i imagine he must have done)
cocteau twins (i have a few of their albums, but never felt compelled to actually listen to them before now.. actually i still havent listened to them, but i have located them, so im getting there)
miles - live evil

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Two tracks that work together superbly.

(Yes I know 'mash-ups' were all the rage a decade or so ago, but this is actually brilliant - it's the vocal from The Message over Films by Gary Numan.)

sadmanbarty

90's Baltimore Rap. It's pretty much the same as its new york counterpart. It's useful if you want that east coast sound, but don't want to listen to the canonical new york stuff for the 1000th time.

edit:

I keep forgetting it won't embed playlists, here's what I was actually trying to post

/watch?v=m0NP2NYmmpk&list=PL6C18682722E633C8

Last edited:

Leo

continuing my current obsession with mid-tempo 80s funky/boogie stuff with a cool guitar hook...

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
90's Baltimore Rap. It's pretty much the same as its new york counterpart. It's useful if you want that east coast sound, but don't want to listen to the canonical new york stuff for the 1000th time.

edit:

I keep forgetting it won't embed playlists, here's what I was actually trying to post

/watch?v=m0NP2NYmmpk&list=PL6C18682722E633C8

Great stuff thank you, dont know any of this

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Prompted by watching Synth Britannia last night, a bit of Depeche Mode. This song is notable for containing what I can only pretentiously and falsely claim are 'proto Eski' sounds.