What old music have you been enjoying this year?

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Personally I don't think 2014 has been a great year musically so I've been listening to mostly older stuff. I have 'discovered' PiL and Arthur Russell and have been loving 'em. Also been listening to a lot of stuff by The Fall, Can, Drexciya and DJ Sprinkles

bruno

est malade
as i need music to work (often with other people) my year has been shamefully conventional (but i'm not ashamed at all): roxy music's avalon, chic, chet baker, durutti column, power corruption & lies, another green world, autobahn plus a ton of don cherry, morricone, etc. i've enjoyed it all.

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

avalon for me too and roxy in general, harold budd (though not sure which of his is best as the pearl album sounds a littlee too covered in 80s synth wash for me), neu, john carpenter, vangelis, kraftwerk, nothing that obscure i dont think. also been listening to various film scores like mysterious skin, my son my son what have ye done.

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

Judee Sill, George Duke, Chet Baker, The Isley Bros., Wally Badoru. A lot of stuff but those are the names that jump out.

hucks

Your Message Here
I hadn't heard Hi Scores by Boards of Canada till the remastered version came out this year and it's brilliant

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zI1RMzw7u-U?list=PLCDD73ABDD0BAA0E2" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dQEmaj9C6ko" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
This was the storied year in which I realised that Master and Commander occupies a place in my film pantheon for some weird reason and its at least partly down to me realising that this is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written.

I discovered a lot of old rap music this year via an aborted attempt at blogging my way through the hip hop canon (I should really do that actually) and writing a Mixtape primer for the wire. One of my favourite pastimes these days is setting myself a writing challenge which forces me to comb exhaustively through the entire discography of artist x or scene/genre y.

Also that Stephan Bodzin tune that deep tech has embraced. The one from about 2004. Banger.

droid

Jungle, jungle and more jungle. Exploring the nooks and crannies of 94-96 via vicarious discog purchases and new and vintage mixes.

CrowleyHead

I forgot to mention, I'm really into Steely Dan and its fucking terrible. I half blame Dean Blunt for repping for "Haitian Divorce" (which is a great song even though my GOD the cod-reggaeishness) and this video of Don Fagen rapping along to his song with the words of a rap song that sampled him, thereby elevating him above all american 70s rock icons.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_m6ejkF-cSk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They even supposedly sued the guys who did it, but at the same time you can tell they fucked with the original. All Wyclef's fault anyway.

Leo

if we're including recently released music that was recorded years ago or compilations of older stuff, then i'd say harold budd "perhaps", charles cohen "a retrospective", "122 bpm: the birth of house music" and "kill yourself dancing: the story of sunset records inc. chicago 1985-89" (last two both on still music, probably the best 80s house compilations i've heard in ages).

CrowleyHead

ha, what's terrible about it?? sd are fantastic. did blunt cover them or something?

No, he's often stated they were a constant childhood soundtrack and he put a bunch of their songs on a Fact Mix, but no direct covers yet that I can recall. But I'm a baby to their work so who knows, maybe he's actually rewritten "Razor Boy" the same way he rewrote "Ramping Shop".

And there's three reasons why even though I love a lot of this music, I hate this band;

1) Donald Fagen has this ONE chord progression he's obsessed with. It pops up at least 4 times in the songs I've heard and it kills me.
2) Walter Becker writes some TERRIBLE guitar rock songs. "Reelin In The Years" is an awful song and was basically vastly improved when Thin Lizzy stole the solo part for "Boys Are Back In Town"
3) THEY ARE SUCH WEIRD NERDS.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

I discovered this yesterday and have now listened to it more times than I've listened to the sound of my own mother's voice. It seems like one of the greatest songs ever to me at the moment. With folk music these days you have to push past the double prejudicial obstacles of hippy hatred and co-option of hippy culture by mobile phone adverts hatred.

People should recommend me the very best in bloke/bird with an accoustic geetar music cos sadly I'm quite sick of electronic music and rap a lot of days these days.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"One of my favourite pastimes these days is setting myself a writing challenge which forces me to comb exhaustively through the entire discography of artist x or scene/genre y."
Nice idea. My friend has a weekly show on Resonance and each week the idea is that she show-cases some other aspect of French music (she's French) - but basically she's long since exhausted everything she knows about so each week has to find a new scene or artist or whatever and do enough research to sound convincing on a half hour show. It's a bit of a ball-ache but it does have the effect of meaning she's been forced to learn about loads of stuff. Sounds kinda similar to what you're saying I think.

luka

it will always end up with you hating music if you treat it like homework though

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Yeah, this has often been the case for me as a sometime rap music reviewer. Forcing mixtapes down my earthroats, submitting them for instant analysis.

OTOH I get to hear a lot of music I wouldn't otherwise have bothered with.