Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Running

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    Then again, if you run too far your nipples start bleeding.
    Im imagining you saying this in your most enthusiastic voice whilst vigorously rubbing your thighs.

Re: counter culture aversion to exercise. I suspect this may come from the horrors of PE at school, combined of course with the aggressive testosterone fest that is sport in general. I was scared off sports at about the age of 13 and coevally became interested in things like Warhammer and Rawkus records instead.

I read a good book about this subject. Part of a series curated by Alain "De Bloody" Botton, but don't let that put you off. Also the book on running by Murukami is very interesting. I think I read these books and then ran and it wasnt as refined as I'd imagined, more sweaty and sickening.

Interval training with sprints is bearable. Running for long distances at a moderate pace is madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Re: counter culture aversion to exercise. I suspect this may come from the horrors of PE at school, combined of course with the aggressive testosterone fest that is sport in general. I was scared off sports at about the age of 13 and coevally became interested in things like Warhammer and Rawkus records instead.
    also PE teachers were always extremely stupid. seeing this again more clearly in my children's PE teachers.

yeah and it's a tribal thing isn't it. i was smoking fags at the art dept and it was incompatible with taking exercise. that still left taking long "derrives" on my bicycle open to me. smoking in the distant meadows etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    I read a good book about this subject. Part of a series curated by Alain "De Bloody" Botton, but don't let that put you off. Also the book on running by Murukami is very interesting. I think I read these books and then ran and it wasnt as refined as I'd imagined, more sweaty and sickening.
    my wife read that murakami book - in fact it's sitting across the room from me now - but she didn't have much good to say about it.

just saw that "four lions" film for the first time - and there's a completely ridiculous character in that who runs and that's all he talks about to extremely boring lengths. chris morris' attitude to that guy just about sums up the (quasi-)counter-culture's attitude to exercise...

i suppose with regards to the blackbyrds/roy ayers/pharcyde songs that there is a strong historic dimension to them - vis a vis 12 years a slave - of being a fugitive - literally running away from the establishment.

and then - of course there's the detournement of running - using that same athletic prowess as a symbol of superiority/defiance

good profile of the runner john carlos here

And then there is the short-lived Carl Lewis pop career.

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    And then there is the short-lived Carl Lewis pop career.

yikes. never seen that. very thin.

whilst there doesn't appear to be much in the way of basis for fears about osteoporosis - injuries are clearly an issue - has slightly blunted my enthusiasm

seems like:

1) the further one runs the more liable one is to injure oneself
    2) there's a consensus on stretches/yoga ones

i wonder if one keeps a really low mileage that helps?

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    thx droid. on topic.

My feeling is that if you enjoy it then suck up the injuries

Pay the piper... I like drinking so I accept the hangover, the obesity, the ravaged liver...