Best Clubs and Clubnights in the UK right now?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"London: The Russian Bar (not sure if it's still called that) can be quirky and fun."
Is it still open? I tried to contact it and couldn't get through and then we went down there and it wall shut up with a poster in the window for something that was on last year.

Russian Bar hasn't been open for about three years. It was Shelter briefly when it reopened but that bombed as well.

Awful system in there but downstairs was a laugh with all the mirrors. It used to be a strippers once upon a time and still had a pole.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"That RA article about the Kraut place makes it sound brilliant. But I can't help but wonder how articles like that affect underground clubs."
It was in the Guardian top 25 clubs thing too. But it's not a secret in Dusseldorf, I guess it might bring people from further afield but I doubt it will make too much difference.
I guess, if there was an underground club in London it could be under the radar cos there are so many things like that here, and an article like that would have a huge effect on the crowd the week after it was written... but I don't think that that is the case here.

Last edited:

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
It was Shelter briefly when it reopened but that bombed as well.

Ah yeah I think I went there when it was Shelter and had a really good night. Had no idea that was just a temporary thing. Dropped by on a short visit to the UK.

What I mean is the people who usually end up making the good clubs less pleasant. E.g. all the 'lads' who show up at Corsica these days.

@IdleRich: I got that yeah, but meant more in general. Those articles are a bit catch 22 imo.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The Sub Club. Awesome soundsystem, a crowd who are serious about music (not in a chin-stroking way), DJs who really know what they're doing >>>

I only went once cos I've only been to Glasgow once, thought it was an amazing space and sound, good crowd, good lighting (i.e. dark, preventing too much posery, which was also the thing I appreciated about Plastic People). I wasn't even really into the music that night I went; with the right sounds it'd've been special.

glasshand

dj panic attack
What I mean is the people who usually end up making the good clubs less pleasant. E.g. all the 'lads' who show up at Corsica these days.

dubious about this still man. fully on a moral high horse here.. but u got some specific gripes with tha 'lads' or what? im inclined to defend 'lads' cuz who knows who might've looked at me and my mates over the past few yrs and gone 'ah yeh it's shit now the lads are invading <XYZ>'

i don't like shoreditch cuz it's kinda got a drinking&fighting vibe going on round all the bars with big groups of dudes and stuff. but i'm not fazed by 'lads' at all if they're taking drugs and dancing in places like corsica, troxy, coronet, etc. can't imagine any groups of 5+ men with no girls getting into these places either, which is when u tend to get the confrontational vibes. i don't like posing and people not getting into it, but u get that from non-lad crowds as much if not more than u get it from ur stereotypically laddy crowds.

much prefer a bit of mandy and a dance being the thing to do for most people now rather than i dunno, jumping around at a gig.

studio 338 on the Greenwich Peninsula "includes one of the largest terrace arena's in Europe" - http://www.residentadvisor.net/club.aspx?id=74592

someone on my fb jus posted a vid of it poppin off to a remix of "freed from desire". cheesy stuff yeh but why have i never heard of this club, is it new? anyone ever been?

Nah it's not new. Used to be called T.H.A.T, or The House & Terrace. Commercial house thing mostly but had a lot of funky on when that was popping, some of the early Audio Whore & Rehab things too. Not a bad venue but not an underground proposition by any stretch.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
i don't like shoreditch cuz it's kinda got a drinking&fighting vibe going on round all the bars with big groups of dudes and stuff. but i'm not fazed by 'lads' at all if they're taking drugs and dancing in places like corsica, troxy, coronet, etc. can't imagine any groups of 5+ men with no girls getting into these places either, which is when u tend to get the confrontational vibes. i don't like posing and people not getting into it, but u get that from non-lad crowds as much if not more than u get it from ur stereotypically laddy crowds.

you pretty much just described the groups of lads i saw at corsica the last couple of times i went there. big bunch of them (5+). drunk/coked up. not really dancing that much and causing aggro with other guys. didn't really come across like they were there for the music. maybe i was unlucky the last few times i went, but it really felt like it was going that way.

having said that, i haven't been there for a while now.

glasshand

dj panic attack
Nah it's not new. Used to be called T.H.A.T, or The House & Terrace. Commercial house thing mostly but had a lot of funky on when that was popping, some of the early Audio Whore & Rehab things too. Not a bad venue but not an underground proposition by any stretch.

rings a bell now u mention audio rehab, i remember reading an article that mentioned a club in greenwich being where they started out

glasshand

dj panic attack
you pretty much just described the groups of lads i saw at corsica the last couple of times i went there. big bunch of them (5+). drunk/coked up. not really dancing that much and causing aggro with other guys. didn't really come across like they were there for the music. maybe i was unlucky the last few times i went, but it really felt like it was going that way.

having said that, i haven't been there for a while now.

fair enuff

glasshand

dj panic attack

u got a take/overview on ldn clubbing right now slackk?

i've really been meaning to go, but there's not been a boxed for a while has there? (fabric rm 3s aside)

boxed is monthly apart from januarys. we've put on about 20 in the last two years, so nah theres been loads

london's in okay shape i think, just needs more smaller clubs with heavy systems. i reckon a couple will probably end up in hackney wick soon though

IdleRich

IdleRich
Body Hammer was great on Saturday. I guess Body Hammer/World Unknown are linked but different enough - basically the kind of stuff I'm after. More things like that. Not exactly a scene but a scene on their own.